• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Highlanders - Western Force in Dunedin (03-06-2011, 8:35 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

Carisbrook, Dunedin (03-06-2011 7:35 GMT)
Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Force.png

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Kade Poki, 13 Kendrick Lynn, 12 Shaun Treeby, 11 Siale Piutau, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Nasi Manu, 7 John Hardie, 6 Adam Thomson 5 Josh Bekhuis, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 3 Chris King, 2 Mo Schwalger, 1 Jamie Mackintosh (c).
Replacements:16 Jason Rutledge, 17 Bronson Murray, 18 Tom Donnelly, 19 Nick Crosswell, 20 Aaron Smith, 21 Robbie Robinson, 22 Alando Soakai.

Western Force: 15 Cameron Shepherd, 14 Alfie Mafi, 13 Patrick Dellit, 12 Rory Sidey, 11 David Smith, 10 James Stannard, 9 Mark Swanepoel, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 David Pocock, 6 Matt Hodgson, 5 Nathan Sharpe (c), 4 Sam Wykes, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 2 Nathan Charles, 1 Kieran Longbottom.
Replacements: 16 Ben Whittaker, 17 Matt Dunning, 18 Tom Hockings, 19 Richard Brown, 20 Chris Cottee, 21 Mitch Inman, 22 Nick Cummins.

Huge game for the Highlanders, who will want to put their very disappointing result last week behind them. It will probably be the last match the Highlanders play at Carisbrook (before they move into their new stadium next year), so they will want finish their time at the ground in style.

A couple of changes for the Highlanders, with Thomson (hopefully) returning at 6, and John Hardie getting his second start of the season at 7. I'm surprised to see Mo Schwalger again given the start ahead of Jason Rutledge; Mo Schwalger is reputedly stronger in the scrum, but Rutledge offers much more around the field than Schwalger. The Highlanders struggled to secure turnover ball last week, something that had become a trademark of the team thorough this season. Having Thomson back at 6 should help immensely in this regard. Good to see Hardie given the start at 7 ahead of Soakai; they are both similar quality players, but Hardie brings a slightly better running game. It is interestingly the Highlanders have gone for a 5/2 split on the bench. Slightly surprised to see Sopoaga at 10, as I thought he was going to be in Italy with the NZ Under 20 team, but it appears he will not join them till after this match.

Only one change for the Force, with Alfi Mafi replacing Nick Cummins. The Force are missing a number of key players, but played some really good rugby at times last week against the Canes. There are some good match-ups all over the park. Looking forward to seeing how the Otago locks go against the Force pair of Sharpe and Wykes, both of whom where outstanding last week against the Hurricanes. The battle in the loose-forwards will be great to watch too; unless Adam Thomson has a strong match I think the Force should have an edge in this department.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stannard again at 10, as he looked very comfortable their against the Canes, and even brought a touch of flair to the Force attack. The matchup between Kade Poki and David Smith should be great to watch too. Both are small players, but are incredibly elusive. David Smith had an outstanding game last week, while Kade Poki had some standout games earlier in the season, but seems to have tapered off in recent weeks. It wouldn't be a post from me if I didn't mention Ben Smith - it should be a good matchup between him and Cameron Shepherd, who had a strong game last week.

I'm picking (and really hoping) the will Highlanders to take it, but I don't think it will be by much - maybe between 5-10 points.

*Vbookie odds supplied by BWIN*

Last edited:
Super 15: Highlanders - Western Force in Dunedin (03-06-2011, 7:35 GMT)

Vbookie added and opening post altered a bit (added logo's and all)

Lets face facts... there will be a lot of people watching the game just to see if all the fuss over the Highlanders jersey has been justified.

Lets face facts... there will be a lot of people watching the game just to see if all the fuss over the Highlanders jersey has been justified.

... I'm disappointed that we can't vbookie on the colour and design of the jersey :)

On the game ... it should be a tight match - I predict a win to the guys in the (green jerseys?) by 4 points

Unfortunately it seems like everyone is going to be watching it on TV rather than going to the ground though, as at last report there have only been 5,000 tickets sold. The low crowd numbers may be due to the public not being happy with the proposed jersey changes, though could equally be attributed to the fact it is going to be freezing cold at the ground. It has been another sunny day in Dunedin, but it is pretty cold outside; it was cold enough at the ground last weekend, but I expect it will be much colder tonight!

It's surprising to see Cummins on the bench. Mafi slips off a lot of tackles, and the Highlanders wingers are always hard to stop. Maybe Cummins coming on rather than off in the last 20 will give the team a better hope at finishing strongly for once. Or he has an injury and we are screwed!

Anyway, i think this will be close. We need another strong performance from Stannard.

It's surprising to see Cummins on the bench. Mafi slips off a lot of tackles, and the Highlanders wingers are always hard to stop. Maybe Cummins coming on rather than off in the last 20 will give the team a better hope at finishing strongly for once. Or he has an injury and we are screwed!

Anyway, i think this will be close. We need another strong performance from Stannard.

Yeah, I too was surprised (and quite happy as a Highlanders supporter) to see Cummins dropped to the bench. He's not the most elusive player, but is strong defensively and has the strength to get over the advantage line most times. I actually thought they may be tempted to move Cummins into centre again, to add some experience to the midfield.

As much as i want the highlanders to take this game, the Force are a different team with Pocock and with odds like 10/1 for a 7+ victory i had to take a flurry.

Why are they changing the jersey to a lime green one exactly? They've got a home and an alternative kit already. Where did the green come from?

As much as i want the highlanders to take this game, the Force are a different team with Pocock and with odds like 10/1 for a 7+ victory i had to take a flurry.

Why are they changing the jersey to a lime green one exactly? They've got a home and an alternative kit already. Where did the green come from?

Nobody knows.... personally I couldn't care less what colour jersey they play in as long as they win!

On that note, I'm off to Carisbrook now to watch the Highlanders play in their fancy new Jerseys, and most likely freeze to death!

Last edited:
I was just chatting to my wife and said wouldn't it be a good marketing scam for the Highlanders is this was all a huge leg pull, and they ran out with green jerseys that they took off pre-game to reveal a far more traditional jersey? Then the greenish jersey was announced as next years away jersey or alternate strip?

It probably won't happen, but would be clever. :D

So I was just watching 'The Crowd Goes Wild' and the guys on there were saying that the jersey is green so as not to isolate any new fans they may aquire from other areas in the land. They suggested that with the Highlanders playing in Otago colours is not good for the expansion of their fans. So to have a green colour would be neutral and the Highlanders - as a franchise - will play in a colour that doesn't represent Otago or any other place.

Late change, Cameron Shepherd out (hamstring) :| I want my money back.

Dellit to 15 (he is alright there, but was very effective last week at 13). Then Inman to 13.

At least i have the Force on a line bet in RL, 9 points or something huge.

Hah! Just watching Sky Sports before the game and they played a wee montage of Highlanders in their home colours with a song in background singing, 'We will never forget.'
It's like a relative has died now that these traditional colours have gone out the window.

I was just chatting to my wife and said wouldn't it be a good marketing scam for the Highlanders is this was all a huge leg pull, and they ran out with green jerseys that they took off pre-game to reveal a far more traditional jersey? Then the greenish jersey was announced as next years away jersey or alternate strip?

It probably won't happen, but would be clever. :D

LOL!
Maybe the Highlanders would like your services in their Media PR section! That would be a great idea. Alas, something tells me there is nothing that cunning at work here.

Well, there's the green shirt. Nice look if you ask me...a little camouflaged wiht the field, but it's ok.
Sopoaga seems to be in one piece and walking comfortably this week considering the entire team should have ripped him a new asshole for ******* up that penalty kick to touch at the end of the game last week.

I was probably one of the few people looking forward to a new jersey :p

If the blue parts were dark green, or the lime parts were dark green, it would look all right, but the current scheme clashes horribly...

Latest posts