• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Waratahs - Lions in Sydney (21-05-2011)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Aussie Stadium, Sydney (21-05-2011 10:40 GMT)
Waratahs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Lions.png

In Sydney, the Lions will be looking for a second upset in a row when they play the Waratahs. Last week they managed to beat the Brumbies in Canberra, and since the Cheetahs stunned the Tahs 3-23 earlier this season, anything is possible. The Lions will be starting with Butch James as fly-half. The World Cup winning former Bath-player arrived at the Lions last week and came on as a substitute in the match against the Brumbies. Can he bring that little bit extra that the Lions need?

On the other hand, the Waratahs have a massive record against the Lions (And Cats pre-2006) and have never lost to the Transvaal franchise in any match in Sydney. The Cats did beat the Tahs in Johannesburg twice (in 1997 with 36-27 and in 2001 with 28-21). Last year the Tahs scored 11 tries in a 73-12 victory over the Lions. This year things seemed different at first. The Lions lost matches with only several points difference but lately they seem to be fallen of the wagon. Against the Brumbies, the turn-around was there. Joshua Strauss is the new captain and Chabal's twin brother seems to have a positive effect on the Lions team. The Waratahs are still without Drew Mitchell and have been struggling in recent weeks but still managed to climb 1 spot on the table to get to a wild-card position.

2010 Waratahs 73-12 Lions
2009 Lions 33-38 Waratahs
2008 Waratahs 26-3 Lions
2007 Lions 16-25 Waratahs
2006 Waratahs 50-3 Lions
2005 Cats 19-40 Waratahs
2004 Waratahs 46-10 Cats
2003 Cats 36-48 Waratahs
2002 Waratahs 44-21 Cats
2001 Cats 28-21 Waratahs
2000 Waratahs 51-16 Cats
1999 Cats 10-39 Waratahs
1998 Waratahs 25-10 Cats
1997 Cats 36-27 Waratahs
1996 Waratahs 32-11 Cats

Certainly the Waratahs have history in their favor and should be massive favorites but I think this Lions side might push the Waratahs close; this is the best looking line-up (with at least a measure of depth) I've seen from them for a number of seasons and they have the mental boost from the win in Canberra.

Lions matchday 22:

Jaco Taute, Lionel Mapoe, Alwyn Hollenbach, Doppies la Grange (capt.), Deon van Rensburg, Butch James, Jano Vermaak, Josh Strauss, Michael Rhodes, Derick Minnie, Franco van der Merwe, Wikus van Heerden, Patric Cilliers, Bandise Maku, JC Janse van Rensburg.
Replacements: Edgar Marutlulle, Jacobie Adriaanse, Warren Whiteley, Cobus Grobbelaar, Rory Kockott, Elton Jantjies, Dylan Des Fountain.

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=30336

Changes to the starting XV from last week's line-up; Captain Doppies La Grange and Butch James get promoted with Jantjes and Des Fountain dropping to the bench. I hope these experienced players keep up the good work the youngsters on the bench started last week and don't drop off the pace. If the team as a whole can keep up the intensity in both attack and defense they are certainly in with a chance albeit definate underdogs.

That is the strongest Lions team i've ever seen. Might be worth a punt for fun, but the Waratahs coming off a bye will be hard to beat. I think it will be a tight game, that might blow out in the 2nd half.

It's sad to see Andre Pretorius being dropped from 1st choice to 4th in a matter of a few weeks. This is not what he signed up for when he left Durban last year ;)

It's sad to see Andre Pretorius being dropped from 1st choice to 4th in a matter of a few weeks. This is not what he signed up for when he left Durban last year ;)

True but he probably knew what he was letting himself in for and I expect he won't be the only signing being kicked to the kerb as the Lions seek to bolster both their player depth and quality. Waylon Murray (or is he injured?) is another casualty that was playing some good rugby in the opening weeks. Wandile Mjekevu, Michael Killian and Jannie Boshoff also speing to mind as able players who havn't gotten a look-in of late.

I think the Lions need to have a look at getting in more quality forwards though as the forwards replacements listed above aren't all that impressive. If I had the money (and the Lions do, apparently), I'd be courting overseas -based players like Schalk Brits, Brian Mujati, Marco Wentzel, Mouritz Botha and Ernst Joubert. Maybe 1 more decent center in Frans Steyn.

Jantjies must be wondering "WTF! I just played, like the one of the best games in my career so far, and this ****** shows up and in one and a half weeks is starting ahead of me!?!"

Jantjies must be wondering "WTF! I just played, like the one of the best games in my career so far, and this ****** shows up and in one and a half weeks is starting ahead of me!?!"
Be interesting to see how Butch James goes, but it certainly is very harsh to drop Elton Jantjies to the bench after last weeks match!

I have to think the Waratahs should win this game. If they don't they will drop out of the top 6, and put themselves under quite a bit of pressure to make the playoffs.

True but he probably knew what he was letting himself in for and I expect he won't be the only signing being kicked to the kerb as the Lions seek to bolster both their player depth and quality. Waylon Murray (or is he injured?) is another casualty that was playing some good rugby in the opening weeks. Wandile Mjekevu, Michael Killian and Jannie Boshoff also speing to mind as able players who havn't gotten a look-in of late.

I think the Lions need to have a look at getting in more quality forwards though as the forwards replacements listed above aren't all that impressive. If I had the money (and the Lions do, apparently), I'd be courting overseas -based players like Schalk Brits, Brian Mujati, Marco Wentzel, Mouritz Botha and Ernst Joubert. Maybe 1 more decent center in Frans Steyn.

Interesting that you make that comment because i just heard an interview with John Mitchell on NZ's Radio Sport in which he basically said that if South African rugby are serious about turning the Lions into a competitive Super team, that the powers that be need to front the cash to allow them to buy two or three Springboks in critical/key positions ... by "the powers that be", I took it that he meant SARU, but if they have the money already, why don't they

Interesting that you make that comment because i just heard an interview with John Mitchell on NZ's Radio Sport in which he basically said that if South African rugby are serious about turning the Lions into a competitive Super team, that the powers that be need to front the cash to allow them to buy two or three Springboks in critical/key positions ... by "the powers that be", I took it that he meant SARU, but if they have the money already, why don't they

Haven't heard that interview, but the Lions have a new private investor in the 'Guma Group', which is backed/owned by one of the wealthiest IT entrepeneurs in Africa, and he is keen on his rubgy (Robert Gumede), and is even trying to get the Lions to move to the stadium that was used for the 2010 World Cup final.

They have tried to excercise their wealth, and so far have used it to get: Butch James, Lionel Mapoe, Patric Cilliers, Michael Rhodes, Rory Kockett and hold on to a few players.
They have tried, unsuccesfully, to get: Frans Steyn, Beast Mtwarira, John Smit, the du Plessis brothers, Jean de Villiers, Bakkies Botha and one or two overseas based players.

As I said, I haven't heard the interview you speak of, but maybe Mitchell was alluding to the SARU must intervene and stop the 3 top franchises from employing all the stars? (And I am sure that the unions will want big pay-offs to release players from their contracts)

Haven't heard that interview, but the Lions have a new private investor in the 'Guma Group', which is backed/owned by one of the wealthiest IT entrepeneurs in Africa, and he is keen on his rubgy (Robert Gumede), and is even trying to get the Lions to move to the stadium that was used for the 2010 World Cup final.

They have tried to excercise their wealth, and so far have used it to get: Butch James, Lionel Mapoe, Patric Cilliers, Michael Rhodes, Rory Kockett and hold on to a few players.
They have tried, unsuccesfully, to get: Frans Steyn, Beast Mtwarira, John Smit, the du Plessis brothers, Jean de Villiers, Bakkies Botha and one or two overseas based players.

As I said, I haven't heard the interview you speak of, but maybe Mitchell was alluding to the SARU must intervene and stop the 3 top franchises from employing all the stars? (And I am sure that the unions will want big pay-offs to release players from their contracts)

If they do manage the move away from Ellis Park that would really help as I am sure part of the reason why some of those big-name player wouldn't play for them is the 'culture' or rather baggage at the Lions. That and its just better in the other cities and settled teams. I'm sure Butch only joined them to get regular game-time to through his name into the hat come RWC 2011. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why Jantjies got benched after a great game; James was promised game-time if he came over. That's enough paranoid musing from me.

On the other side of the see-saw the Waratahs, a team on the slide?

Last edited:
Got two free tickets in the members' area for this game. Pretty happy with that, especially since I don't have the money to go to games.

Hopefully the fans' rant session during the week will see a little more entertaining rugby by the Tahs, although not if it's at the expense of a result.

Also, Aussie Stadium? Hasn't been called that for a few years now.

Last edited:
Well the Waratahs certainly have the advantage when it comes to looking at previous year performances against each other head to head. I would not be surprised if they do loose this match as the Lions have the potential and adventurous play to achieve this. If they do win they will certainly help out fellow SA conference contenders. I am sure that is the last thing on their mind though as a win will be very important to them to help contribute to their self believe and mental state.

I hope I was right in calling a win overseas as the much needed spark the Lions need to become a real contender’s in future super rugby series. That win against the Brumbies let’s just hope it was what they needed. :)<O:p</O:p

Brumbies have been playing not that well this season so it could go both sides. I hope the Lions win it.

Bets are finalised.
Congratulations to Gavin, Lucky Number 7 and ME for guessing correctly!

Latest posts