• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Highlanders vs. Chiefs in Dunedin (22/02/2013)

Very exciting game though of course fairly messy at times with some expected errors funniest been Tony Woodcock's knock on.

Also, every Blues fan should now be kicking themselves.

Personally, I was kicking myself already when he got delisted. I've always liked him and he was great for Auckland in the ITM Cup as well.

Does anyone know why Anscombe was kicking and not Cruden? Not that he did a bad job obviously I'm just curious.

Also, every Blues fan should now be kicking themselves.

I don't know if they should be kicking themselves (as I'm sure most of them weren't happy to see him de-listed!) - I think they would be better kicking John Kirwan ;)

As has been mentioned Cruden had a slight groin injury. In any case Anscombe is probably a better goal-kicker than Cruden - both are very accurate from close range, but Anscombe probably has better distance than Cruden.

Right, now the dust as settled a bit I thought I would add a few of my thought on the game. The key moment in the game was really Nanai-Williams second try. The Highlanders butchered a golden try scoring opportunity and the Chiefs scored at the other end - it really was the definition of a 14 point try. What made it a great game was the attacking attitude that both sides brought with them. Both teams made a few errors, but you have to expect that in such a high-octane game (especially one early in the season).

For the Chiefs I thought Afeaki played well, holding his own against Woodcock at scrum time. Manu actually looked good at scrum time, but did get penalised a bit. One of the surprise packages was Rhys Marshall. This was his first game of professional rugby (having not played any ITM Cup), and he didn't look out of place in the least - indeed he was all over the place making tackles, and looked very sharp with ball in hand. The locks were solid (as always), while Messam continued his outstanding form from last season. Lee had a solid game at 8, while Cane was all over the park at openside. He really throws himself into everything and has a massive work-rate, but does still need to improve his accuracy.

Kerr-Barlow was pretty quiet, but Pulu made a great impact when he came on, especially with his snipping running around the base of the breakdown. Cruden actually had one of his poorer games in a few seasons. He was good with ball in hand, but his tactic kicking was very disappointing - I can only assume the groin injury was affecting him. Aki looked sharp on debut, and was pretty reliable on defense. As others have mentioned Nanai-Williams had a mixed game. He was devastating with ball in hand, but a couple of obviuos defensive errors cost the Chiefs. Tikoirotimu was pretty solid, while Osbourne had some good moments on attack, but struggled on defense (which was no surprise). I thought Anscombe had an excellent game at fullback, especially as it was an unfamiliar position. His goal-kicking was outstanding, his positioning was solid, he entered the backline well on occasions, and though he was a bit passive at times on defense he did make a couple of crucial tackles (one in particular on Hosea Gear stands out).

The Highlanders did ok up front, but they will be much better off once Hore and Thorn are back. Fia did a solid job at tighthead, while I was slighty disappointed with Woodcock, who I expected to be slightly more dominant. Mitchell was ok at hooker, but his lineout throwing was very average at times - unfortunately Coltman (who I rate) was much worse when he replaced him, giving away a couple of silly penalties. Hoeata was solid, but I was very impressed with Bekhuis's work around the field. Wheeler did a good job at 6, and provides the same aerial skills that Adam Thomson brought to the side (particularly at kick-off). Hardie looked good at openside, and carried the ball a lot. He really fits the style of player the AB's selectors want at 7, so he is certainly a chance to make the AB's squad for the mid-year tests while McCaw is out. The injury to Nasi Manu (broken ankle/foot?) is a serious blow to the Hgihlanders, as he has been one of the most consistent players for them over the last two seasons. Elliot Dixon has the potential to provide the similar physical game that Manu brought, but is still very raw, while I'm not sure what to expect out of Paringatai.

Aaron Smith was ok, but as others have mentioned still needs to work on his box-kicking, while I was happy Sopoaga's play. He can really set the backline going at times, and his goal-kicking was good this match - my only concern is his tactical kicking game (or lack there-of). Nonu had a bit of a mixed debut. He was physical on attack, but made a couple of obvious defensive errors (running out of the line on Nanai-Williams first try was the most obvious one). Burleigh was ok on attack but struggled on defense, missing a number of tackles he probably should have made. Gear had his moments on the wing. He scored an outstanding individual try, but still isn't backing himself enough at times. One good example was when he was put into space with only Anscombe to beat, and rather than try and run round/inside/over Anscombe, he instead passively allowed Anscombe to tackle him. If he had instead pictured Anscombe as Keith Earls it would have been 5 (or 7) points to the Highlanders ;) I was very happy with the performance of Poki, who looked like the player he was in 2011 (after a very average 2012 season). I love the way he just bouncing out of contact when you think he is going to be tackled. As has been mentioned Ben Smith was outstanding (no surprise there). What really impressed me was the way he linked up with support after he broke the line this match (if only his support players could finish off his breaks...). I can only assume this is something he has developed after spending a lot of time in the AB's environment (training with Conrad Smith is sure to help!), as too often last season he would die with the ball after making a clean break. The only mistake he made all match was get burned on the outside by Nanai-Williams - he needs to learn he can't always afford to give the opposition players the outside, as there are some players you just can't catch!

Overall a bit of a disappointing result for the Highlanders, but there were plenty of positives to come out of the game, which bodes well for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Great game to watch, action packed!

Other teams should take note, this is how rugby is ment to be played

Agree with TRF DARWIN

The landers need slade back in 10 and to stay uninjured to have a real shot. They lack direction tactically with sopoaga. And Aaron smith is not any help at all to sopoaga tactically. Have to watch the next few games to get a real good judge on how its going to got though. Maybe they need Ben Smith to take some more of the tactical kicks? He never seems to make a mistake with everything else.

Having Slade stay uninjured for the rest of super 15 is just a huge ask.

Agree with TRF DARWIN

The landers need slade back in 10 and to stay uninjured to have a real shot. They lack direction tactically with sopoaga. And Aaron smith is not any help at all to sopoaga tactically. Have to watch the next few games to get a real good judge on how its going to got though. Maybe they need Ben Smith to take some more of the tactical kicks? He never seems to make a mistake with everything else.

Having Slade stay uninjured for the rest of super 15 is just a huge ask.

Something I think the Highlanders should seriously consider when Slade returns is playing him at 15, with Smith at centre. That way you could interchange Slade and Sopoaga at first-receiver, which means they could alter their style of play as required. The only thing the would concern me about that is Smith at 13. Not that he wouldn't do a great job there (and help sure up the midfield defense), I just feel he is still really valuable for the Highlanders at fullback, as he just so good at sparking the counter-attack from the back.

I missed some of the game, will have to check it out on mysky+ later.

I really dont think the highlanders need to do anything too crazy. Slade at 10 Smith at 15, Nonu at 12 find one of their midfield backups to play 13 - Burleigh will be better than he was in this game. Aaron Smith will be better than he was this game. Hoeata I think needs to concentrate on the game a bit more I think sometimes he looks like he is just trying to line up and smash big ball carriers from the other side. I wonder when Thorn is back will Hoeata move to 6?

For the chiefs

Afeaki really impressed me, really good start to the season, Manu was actually very impressive as well. Just needs to fine tune some technique issues at the scrum by the looks of things. Sam Cane was very good, I think easily got 1 up over hardie. 17 tackles, he did kinda bomb a try but overall a great game. Messam really solid as allways, looking a bit slimmer, I think he will make a measured start to the season and look to build his form up. However the talking point of the Chiefs forwards has to be Rhys Marshall! Man he looks bloody good, just 20 and this was his first game of professional rugby? I hope we see a lot more of him this season, NZ is desperate for some young hookers this guy totally looks the goods.

I wonder what Toby Smith did to get into the dog house? Made the bench because of a pre-game injury pull out but I dont think he even made it on the field? We've seen in the past that he is the chiefs best prop and he can actually make genuine impact off the bench as well. To not even use him I think is saying something.

Anscombe was actually quite brilliant. Kirwin was bloody stupid to let him go and Basically his first game for the champion side and he has sent a clear message. I really like what Kirwin has done with the blues so far but dropping Anscombe just doesn't make sense. Chiefs not don't need to sweat if Cruden is injured, Anscombe is basically just as good, bit more versatile and even has a bit more range in his kicking.

Chiefs have a lot of players injured. kahui, Horrell, Leonard, hika, Mo, Robinson - it just doesn't seem to matter though they will just keep winning games and play to their strengths. They could really use kahui to tighten up that midfield, gonna be another good year.

fantastic game, my GF knows I support the chiefs and didn't understand why I jumped outa my seat when Ben Smith scored :) he looked very dangerous.

Superb analysis (as usual) Larksea. The only thing I completely disagree on is this statement:

Anscombe was actually quite brilliant. Kirwin was bloody stupid to let him go and Basically his first game for the champion side and he has sent a clear message. I really like what Kirwin has done with the blues so far but dropping Anscombe just doesn't make sense. Chiefs not don't need to sweat if Cruden is injured, Anscombe is basically just as good, bit more versatile and even has a bit more range in his kicking.

There is no doubting Anscombe had a good match at fullback (under little to no pressure) and Cruden was pretty average at 10 (while carrying an injury), but to suggest Anscombe is 'basically as good as Cruden' is way off the mark in my opinion. Cruden was superb last season, leading the Chiefs to their first Super Rugby ***le and being nominated for New Zealand Super Rugby player of the year (missing out to Conrad Smith in the end). In contrast Anscombe has struggled to step up to Super Rugby level, and question marks still remain over his defense, tactical kicking, and ability to control the game (which lead to him being de-listed from the Blues). One good game at fullback does not suddenly mean mean Anscombe is one of the best 10's in Super Rugby. Not even close. I'm not having a go at Anscombe, who I think could develop into a very good first-five at Super Rugby level (and I too think the Blues were foolish to let him go), I just don't believe one good game (in a different position!) suddenly makes him Cruden's class. The one advantage that Anscombe has over Cruden (and indeed most NZ 10's) is his goal-kicking, where he not is only accurate, but also has great range (as you mention). It will be interesting to see how long the Chiefs stick with Anscombe at fullback with the likes of Horrell and Robinson yet to return.

The thing that really stands out about the current Chiefs team is the fact he new players always seem to step up when the get the chance. This is vitally important given the extended nature of the competition and the high injury toll we see these days. It seems whoever the Chiefs pick they invariably play well. Much of the credit for this must go to the coaching team, who have developed a system that allows new players to seamlessly blend into the Chiefs side and usually just play their natural games. Though it is early stages signs are looking promising for the Chiefs again this season.

He may not be as good as Cruden overall but at the same time I don't really thing the gap is vast and I certainly don't believe the actual reason he was delisted from the blues had anything whatsoever to do with on field performance despite what JK may have said.. Pat Lam Played musical chairs in the blues selections last year, you can excuse any individual for not showing their best week in and week out in such a crazy setup.

Cruden has a great head for the game. But as a chiefs supporter if he's injured I don't think he will be missed so much now Anscombe is in the picture.

Toby Smith actually got a fair amount of game time, if I remember correctly. More than Tameifuna even, I believe.

Something I think the Highlanders should seriously consider when Slade returns is playing him at 15, with Smith at centre. That way you could interchange Slade and Sopoaga at first-receiver, which means they could alter their style of play as required. The only thing the would concern me about that is Smith at 13. Not that he wouldn't do a great job there (and help sure up the midfield defense), I just feel he is still really valuable for the Highlanders at fullback, as he just so good at sparking the counter-attack from the back.

this, worth a shot

I also wondered if poki couldn't do a job at 13 with buxton on the wing, there is also Emery in the ix so hopefully after a couple of weeks we might see him get a run

this, worth a shot

I also wondered if poki couldn't do a job at 13 with buxton on the wing, there is also Emery in the ix so hopefully after a couple of weeks we might see him get a run

Poki is another option at 13, but his distribution skills are all but non-existent, which is an issue when you have the likes of Gear and Smith waiting for the ball on the outside. Emery is a serious talent, but I think we need to be careful not to throw him into Super Rugby too soon, as he still has a lot of developing to do...

[h=5]The Otago Razorbacks
[/h][h=5]Anyone heard the rumours about our old mate TJ Ioane?.....
[/h]<FORM id=u_x_1r class=commentable_item method=post action=/ajax/ufi/modify.php rel="async"></EM>

• Bradley Pako What happened?
    <A id=.reactRoot[68].[1][2][1]{comment428238923931089_52334776}.0.[1].0.[1].0.[1].[0].[0] class=uiLinkSubtle href="http://www.therugbyforum.com/OtagoRazorbacks/posts/428238923931089?comment_id=52334776&offset=0&total_comments=2" data-ft='{"tn":"N"}'><ABBR id=.reactRoot[68].[1][2][1]{comment428238923931089_52334776}.0.[1].0.[1].0.[1].[0].[0].0 class=livetimestamp ***le="Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 09:55" content="2 minutes ago" data-utime="1361825755">6 minutes ago</ABBR> · Like

• Sam Gilchrist Yeah I heard the Landers may have picked him up. Is that true?
    <A id=.reactRoot[68].[1][2][1]{comment428238923931089_52334779}.0.[1].0.[1].0.[1].[0].[0] class=uiLinkSubtle href="http://www.therugbyforum.com/OtagoRazorbacks/posts/428238923931089?comment_id=52334779&offset=0&total_comments=2" data-ft='{"tn":"N"}'><ABBR id=.reactRoot[68].[1][2][1]{comment428238923931089_52334779}.0.[1].0.[1].0.[1].[0].[0].0 class=livetimestamp ***le="Tuesday, 26 February 2013 at 09:57" content="A few seconds ago" data-utime="1361825874">4 minutes ago</ABBR> · Edited · Like

</FORM>just saw this on the Razorbacks facebook page.....

:hang3:

I know we are getting a bit short of loose-forwards, but surely there are better options around....

Last edited:
There was something in the ODT about how he would be the likely replacement, but there's been no confirmation.

Figured I should make a comment on this game, seeing as I was lucky enough to attend!! First off, great stadium, absolutely fantastic. Had only cheap seats, but still had an awesome view - and the roof definitely helped make the game the exhibition it was.

Both teams played fairly well, at least on attack. The main thing I noticed was that every single time the Highlanders spread the ball they gained a lot of metres - I watched a replay on TV and you didn't get that impression, but viewing it in person it was pretty obvious that's what the Highlanders should've been doing more of.

For the Highlanders Ben Smith was clearly the stand out. Ma'a Nonu made metres every time he hit up the ball, and Gear and Poki did pretty well with ball in hand too. I actually thought Lima Sopoaga was very good, his handling in particular was excellent, and with a few more games under his belt he should be very accomplished. Arron Smith was poor, and didn't aid the Highlanders cause. I worry that he's not a fantastic player to have on the field if your forwards aren't dominating. I thought the forwards were pretty average in general for the Highlanders. Manu did some good things while he was on the field.

The Chiefs were pretty good, especially for the first game of the season. Nanai-Williams was obviously pretty good on attack, though leaked a try on defence. Aki did well for his first game, making a good number of tackles. Osborne was average, likewise Tikoirotuma was fairly quiet for most of the game. Anscombe was solid at fullback, probably should've passed the ball at one certain point which I think cost the Chiefs a try. Cruden was ok, some of his passes went to deck but I think that will improve with a few games together with Aki etc. Kerr-Barlow was fine, without setting the world on fire. Pulu made a good impact when he came on. Leonard will almost certainly be heading overseas at the end of the year I think, which is a bit sad, but with Pulu and TKB both performing well, it's unlikely there'll be room for him at the Chiefs. Lee wasn't bad at 8, he didn't make any stupid errors and got some good go forward. His outrageous forward pass when the Chiefs has an overlap can be forgiven. Messam and Cane were both very good. The tight five were good for the Chiefs, they look to be well stocked. I thought Fitzgerald and his best game for the Chiefs so far, though that's not saying much. Manu was good at 1, even though he got penalised a couple of times.

Probably one of the best things about the game for me was the refereeing.

Figured I should make a comment on this game, seeing as I was lucky enough to attend!! First off, great stadium, absolutely fantastic. Had only cheap seats, but still had an awesome view - and the roof definitely helped make the game the exhibition it was.

Both teams played fairly well, at least on attack. The main thing I noticed was that every single time the Highlanders spread the ball they gained a lot of metres - I watched a replay on TV and you didn't get that impression, but viewing it in person it was pretty obvious that's what the Highlanders should've been doing more of.

For the Highlanders Ben Smith was clearly the stand out. Ma'a Nonu made metres every time he hit up the ball, and Gear and Poki did pretty well with ball in hand too. I actually thought Lima Sopoaga was very good, his handling in particular was excellent, and with a few more games under his belt he should be very accomplished. Arron Smith was poor, and didn't aid the Highlanders cause. I worry that he's not a fantastic player to have on the field if your forwards aren't dominating. I thought the forwards were pretty average in general for the Highlanders. Manu did some good things while he was on the field.

The Chiefs were pretty good, especially for the first game of the season. Nanai-Williams was obviously pretty good on attack, though leaked a try on defence. Aki did well for his first game, making a good number of tackles. Osborne was average, likewise Tikoirotuma was fairly quiet for most of the game. Anscombe was solid at fullback, probably should've passed the ball at one certain point which I think cost the Chiefs a try. Cruden was ok, some of his passes went to deck but I think that will improve with a few games together with Aki etc. Kerr-Barlow was fine, without setting the world on fire. Pulu made a good impact when he came on. Leonard will almost certainly be heading overseas at the end of the year I think, which is a bit sad, but with Pulu and TKB both performing well, it's unlikely there'll be room for him at the Chiefs. Lee wasn't bad at 8, he didn't make any stupid errors and got some good go forward. His outrageous forward pass when the Chiefs has an overlap can be forgiven. Messam and Cane were both very good. The tight five were good for the Chiefs, they look to be well stocked. I thought Fitzgerald and his best game for the Chiefs so far, though that's not saying much. Manu was good at 1, even though he got penalised a couple of times.

Probably one of the best things about the game for me was the refereeing.

Good analysis. Out of curiosity where were you seated? In my opinion the best seats are definitely in the North Stand - the ones in the South Stand are ok, but you don't get the same view as the stand isn't near as steep. Not sure what it is like in the 'Zoo', as I'm not longer a student.....

think we are short everywhere.....coughbronsonmurraycough :p

You know you love him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was seated in the south stand, on the far right (opposite end of the stadium to the zoo). So like I said, not technically great seats, but still a very good view of the action!

Latest posts