• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Hurricanes v Chiefs in Wellington (17/05/13)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Teams announced:

Chiefs: Robbie Robinson, Lelia Masaga, Charlie Ngatai, Bundee Aki, Aseael Tikoirotuma, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Matt Vant Leven, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Craig Clarke (c), Ben Afeaki, Hika Elliot, Pauliasi Manu. Reserves: Mahonri Schwalger, Ben Tameifuna, Michael Fitzgerald, Nick Crosswell, Augustine Pulu, Dan Waenga, Save Tokula.

Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Alapati Leiua, Reynold Lee-Lo, Tim Bateman, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara; Victor Vito (c), Jack Lam, Faifili Levave, Jason Eaton, Jeremy Thrush, Ben May, Ash Dixon, Ben Franks. Reserves: Reggie Goodes, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, James Broadhurst, Brad Shields, Chris Smylie, Tusi Pisi, James Marshall

Cane out with a back strain, so Latimer gets the 7 jersey with Crosswell fit enough to take a place on the bench. Dan Waenga has been called into the squad and gets the 21 jersey. Ngatai is also fit again and replaces Tokula in the midfield, with Tokula dropping to the bench. Rennie has once again swapped out Toby Smith for Manu, for who knows what reason. With all the injury enforced changes you think he'd try avoid chopping and changing when he can.

The Hurricanes team remains the same.

real challenge for the chiefs, I really hope that Aki-Ngatai backline fires, I hope they keep with Matt Vant Leven I think keeping him in the starting lineup even though Crosswell is back shows he's at least making a good impression.

Big game today. I hope the Chiefs can get out of their negative spiral of playing poor footie and show they're still contenders for the ***le.

Good win for the Chiefs in the end, 17-12.

Their defence was rock solid for most of the match, particularly in the forwards. A much improved effort from previous weeks.

The referee was consistent, even if his calls were a bit odd.

Hurricanes were terrible. Simply awful. The number of times the forwards just kept rumbling it up without making any metres - only to eventually pass it wide where the freaking Ben Franks was the second reciever...

The only times we ever looked dangerous we killed the ball by f*cking dumb as s*t 50/50 passes. Our ball control was terrible. I actually muted the game and read a book after 60 minutes.

Happy with the win, it seemed a close game. Chiefs gave away some penalties ( discipline!!!) but a big improvement.

Interesting that Hammett was very unhappy with the refereeing.

It's interesting having a look at the stats of last night's game, comparing players vying for a place in the All Blacks. Kerr-Barlow made 17 tackles to Perenara's 5. Of course the Chiefs as a whole made more tackles due to defending more, and the Hurricanes used their forwards around the fringes quite a lot, but I think it's very telling of how dedicated TKB is. A lot of halfbacks would sit back and leave it to the forwards, but Kerr-Barlow made the second highest number of tackles of anyone in the Chiefs, second only to Messam.

Behind them was Retalick, who I think had another fantastic game. He's such a busy player, and is starting to add a little bit of ****le to his game - which I don't mind. I don't want to him to end up like Botha of course, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit of aggression in you. Makes him a better candidate to start along side Whitelock, whereas until now I've definitely been more inclined to have Retalick on the bench with Romano starting. Afeaki also had a great game on defence. I thought Cruden and Barrett were about even. Barrett didn't really spark the Hurricanes back line when he needed to, that being said. Likewise, Cruden and Robinson's kicks were generally better than those of the Hurricanes, though neither side kicked extremely well (particularly in the first quarter).

I think again we saw how Messam can change his game to suit the situation. This week he obviously focused on defense and was very impressive in that area, not just in number but in effect, driving players back, picking them up and getting right up in their face with linespeed.

Who was Better? Matt Vant Leven or Victor Vito? I honestly thought Vito was basically a non factor outside the lineouts. I always find that when the canes are doing well and going forward with space Vito shines but when they are under any sort of pressure he just seems to go missing.

TKB was impressive, probably an easy points victory over Perenara.

Generally apart from a small part o the 2nd half it was a really high quality game Barrett was good, the kicking was good. Really good to watch. Probably the chiefs defense lead by Messam and Barlow was the difference in the end.

Interesting that Hammett was very unhappy with the refereeing.

It's interesting having a look at the stats of last night's game, comparing players vying for a place in the All Blacks. Kerr-Barlow made 17 tackles to Perenara's 5. Of course the Chiefs as a whole made more tackles due to defending more, and the Hurricanes used their forwards around the fringes quite a lot, but I think it's very telling of how dedicated TKB is. A lot of halfbacks would sit back and leave it to the forwards, but Kerr-Barlow made the second highest number of tackles of anyone in the Chiefs, second only to Messam.

Behind them was Retalick, who I think had another fantastic game. He's such a busy player, and is starting to add a little bit of ****le to his game - which I don't mind. I don't want to him to end up like Botha of course, but it doesn't hurt to have a bit of aggression in you. Makes him a better candidate to start along side Whitelock, whereas until now I've definitely been more inclined to have Retalick on the bench with Romano starting. Afeaki also had a great game on defence. I thought Cruden and Barrett were about even. Barrett didn't really spark the Hurricanes back line when he needed to, that being said. Likewise, Cruden and Robinson's kicks were generally better than those of the Hurricanes, though neither side kicked extremely well (particularly in the first quarter).

yeah you can clearly see retalick has added some ****le to his game, really upping his intensity at cleanouts, cost him two penalties in the last couple games but it's good stuff without going over the top with head butts attacking the eyes or stomping or anything stupid like that. I think the main reason I have confidence in how the All Blacks will go this year is in the form of Retalick, Sam Whitelock and Luke Romano.

Really good to see Robbie Robinson cause a bit of Havoc again, shame it would have been a try if he had gone to support earlier.

I thought TKB probably made more errors in terms of handling than just about any Chiefs player.

yeah I guess it's up for debate. I mean normally the halfbacks role is to sit just behind the pack and act if anyone looks like getting through the first line or follow the ball behind the main line as a 2ndary defender or to be able to react if there is a turnover and that is an important role. usually means the 9 does not make lots of tackles but the ones they make are important ones.

TKB definitely operates in mainline defense, even more than that actively looking to make tackles before the advantage line.

seems to be working

This game was intresting i didnt think there was much in it at all between TJP and TKB they have quite different styles of play and are kinda hard to compare. Whereas dare i bring it up TJP totally outperformed A Smith in their previous match. Those two get another chance in round 19 so that will be intresting taking into account Smiths supposed improved form.

Latest posts