• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super rugby landed in the usa big time

highveldlion

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Golden Lions
This is an historic moment for the US rugby fan. Starting friday the 18th of February for the first time all games of SUPERRUGBY will be broadcasted live in the USA by Direct TV. Get you DVR ready. No more watching a couple of games on Setanta or Fox soccer, and streaming the rest through mediazone. This is paradise. I will be in front of my TV at 1.00 am central time to watch the first game. Direct TV is also going to broadcast the Tri-Nation the same way. Channel 490 and 491 are dedicated rugby channels on Direct TV. This is huge...:rolleyes:

Central time it will be midnight for the game (sorry ). Go to the Direct TV site and get the full schedule. If you have another sat provider ditch them in a hurry and sign on Direct TV . This is so exciting....

Hopefully this will generate some more interest in rugby in the US. I've always felt getting the Americans involved more could only be good for rugby as a global sport. Soccr has a huge jump on us though.

I think the Yanks will be more likely to follow Rugby than soccer, especially if Rugby gets parity on the airwaves.

They love their NFL, and seeing that that season has just finished, it is perfect that SuperRugby is just starting.
They'll get to watch the best comp in the world, with more try scoring than they're prone to get by watching internationals (and hence, more entertaining to newcomers to the sport)
Lets face it; The 6 Nations can't be doing much in the way of drawing new viewers to the sport. The games I have watched this year have been pretty average fare really

Thank you all for your replies. i agree with you FlukeArtist the timing is perfect for rugby. The NFL season is over and a competition of the magnitude of Superrugby for the first time in primetime tv is just unreal. If you look at the progress of soccer in the USA in the last 15 years it is amazing. We have a very viable league with great soccer stadiums and the US national team is very competitive on the international stage. I only imagine what would happen if rugby develop here. That would be incredible. There are some talented players in the USA, if they had a decent professional league, rugby would take off in a heartbeat.
To put it in perspective to watch rugby the USA before this deal with Direct TV you had to invest some serious money. I had to buy 3 sat systems. One from Canada (Bell) because of Setanta sports and TV5 ( so I could see NRL, Top 14, New Zealand and South African provincial competitions. An International sat for Sky sport 1,2,3 BBC1 and 2 , Eurosport UK 1 and 2 and ESPN UK. On direct TV until today I had fox sport soccer for Aviva, heineken, and magners. I had to use mediazone out of South Africa for streaming tri nation, currie cup and S14. You had to be a rugby fanatic like me to try to watch rugby in the USA. As you can imagine I am not a native yank having played in South Africa , France ( USAP,Toulon, and Racing ) that was in the 70s and 80s. Finishing in the US rugbysuperleague with the Dallas Harlequins. Still playing with the old boys at 49 years old ( twenty one seasons with the Quins ).
I am so happy to see this great sport on primetime in the USA, and I hope that many Americans are going to be exposed to the sport and embrace it. There is no sport that can compare to rugby even the NFL. The Dallas cowboys are a bunch of overpaid divas compared to any franchise in the Super 15. Those guys will be crying if they were in a ruck with the like of Matfield or Chabal, nor they would last running 80 minutes playing offense and defense.

I was so glad when they started showing this, there have been issues with some games not being broadcast due to communication issues from the supplier and directv, the blues first playoff game wasn't on as they had it listed for the wrong night :( but it's great to see the games live. The ONLY problem is that having them lives means they start at like 12:30 am on the west coast, but I guess that's what DVR's are for lol! I just hope they carry this every year, they need to start carrying league too, never too much rugby!! lol.

Yea.. I know Sam.. But it aint real Rugby. It only has Running Rugby... But does away with Lineouts, contested scrums, mauls and rucks... All to appease TV.

Yea.. I know Sam.. But it aint real Rugby. It only has Running Rugby... But does away with Lineouts, contested scrums, mauls and rucks... All to appease TV.

Unfortuntely, as unreal as it is, it seems to be more suited for the american audience. It's like "in between" rugby and NFL.

Oh yeah, I see...the boring stuff lol. I love union but I dont like a number of things. Like watching scrums being reset time and time again, it usually ends in the reff picking a team to penalise lol. Lineouts are sad too, again theres heaps of things that a reff can stop the play for. Rucks and Mauls is so grey players can go blind lol, again the reffs are divided in their interpretations and the players are half hearted at times as to what to do, even though they've been playing Union for years lol. To make matters worse I hear they are bringin in some new rules??...farout I love Union but the rules are just unsettling.

That'd make sense if these hadn't been done away with before TV was invented :p

I think super rugby would be the most realistic competition that would gain popularity in the states. It already has a broadcast setup that is similar to american sports. The Aviva premiership is to slow and english (if you know what i mean) to relate with americans.

Latest posts