• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Rebels vs. Reds in Melbourne (08/03/2013)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super%20Rugby.png

AAMI Park, Melbourne
Rebels.png
Versus%20Super.png
Reds.png

Beale out with a broken hand for 3-4 weeks. Big loss.

I love the early season games, temperature to hit 31 on friday so should be a good night! the rebels are off after this game I believe, and when they return, i'll be wearing a jacket to AAMI Park instead of a t-shirt :(

Could go either way IMO, but I reckon the Rebels might just edge it.

Their forwards have been a huge weak link for them this year, but they do have the back line to cause the Reds defence a few problems. Both sides have decent back rowers, but on a whole, they are two averages packs, especially when you consider Horwill is out for the Reds. Obviously the loss of Beale is a huge, huge blow for the Rebels, but as I say, it's a tough one to call - could go either way.

Rebels: Angus Roberts; Richard Kingi, Mitch Inman, Lachlan Mitchell, Alex Rokobaro; James O'Connor(captain), Nick Phipps; Scott Higginbotham, Scott Fuglistaller, Luke Jones; Cadeyrn Neville, Hugh Pyle; Laurie Weeks, Ged Robinson, Nic Henderson
Replacements: Shota Horie, Paul Alo-Emile, Reid, Jarrod Saffy, Nic Stirzaker, Rory Sidey, Tom English.

It will be interesting to see how O'Connor goes back in the 10 jersey, though the backline he has outside him is looking a bit depleted. The Rebels have a pretty solid pack at the moment though (even with Delve out). It will be interesting to see how Higginbotham goes against his old team mates!

This the game where the Rebels realize they are going to have a bad season again - think the Reds gona hurt them

Kingi up against Ioane, Inman up against [strike]Sautia[/strike] Faingaa, Rokobaro up against Shipperley. Rebels gonna have a bad time.

Edit: Queensland Reds: Jono Lance, Dom Shipperley, Anthony Faingaa, Ben Tapuai, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Nick Frisby; Jake Schatz, Liam Gill, Ed Quirk, Ed O'Donoghue, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Saia Faingaa, Greg Holmes. Res: James Hanson, Albert Anae, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Radike Samo, Ben Lucas, Mike Harris, Chris Feauai-Sautia.

Last edited:
you forgot quade vs. his good mate o'connor :)

i think you are right though, Ioane and Shipperley are going to have it fairly easy. I mean I don't mind Rockobaro, he's a young player but I saw him drop a ball against the brumbies which no one at that level should have missed. He also doesn't seem to possess the pace to keep up with shipperley. inman faces arguably the best defensive centre in the country.

Tapaui is a good defender too, I can see the Rebels battling to get anything going. Reds by 13+

Plus Higginbotham, Fugushugustupulupastalah and Jones will have their work cut out for them with Schatz, Gill and Quirk all appearing to have found their calling as the a unit.

I'm going to this game! I reckon it will be another patchy year for the Rebels, just hoping we don't become one of their inevitable big name scalps. Reds with their first four try bonus point win of the season.

A pretty strong looking Reds side, though personally I would make a few changes. I'm not convinced about O'Donoghue; I would prefer Wallace-Harrison. Anthony Faingaa is rated highly by some, but personally I would have stuck with F-Sautia at centre, as he provides a far more attacking option to the Reds backline. I'm also not convinced with Lance at fullback. Where is Luke Morahan? Lance looked a solid option when he filled in at fullback in 2011, but I would have thought Morahan, Toua, or Harris would have been better options...

Overall I'm picking the Reds to win the game, as they should have too much fire-power in their backline for the Rebels to handle...

O'Donoghue is a [strike] steaming pile of horseshit[/strike] liability of a player, he gives away stupid penalties (See sitting on the ground in a ruck, picking up the ball and putting it behind him while the ref is staring at him) I'd pick Lance over Morahan right now, Morahan is a bit off and on right now, Harris is too slow at fullback and Toua is overrated. Lance and Morahan are our only real options and I'd say Lance is the better defender.

13-10 for the Rebels at HT. Reds' bench will prove too much for the Rebels though, I think.

And JOC is good, there's no denying that.

23-13 reds at FT. Alright game dull at times, reds defended well impressed by their breakdown work and Liam Gil loves that right boot.

Latest posts