• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super14 team of the year

T

The TRUTH

Ok so it's the end of the season and time to decide on who makes it into your "team of the year".

After much deliberation i have settled on my team...

15.Julian Huxley - He's my 'Super14 back of the year' and unquestionably the most improved player in world rugby rigbt now. He has featured in more S14 teams of the week than any other back this year, dispite playing in a multitude of different positions.

Bubbling Under - Drew Mitchell/Francios Steyn/Adam Ashley-Cooper

Super14 player of the year = Juan Smith

Super14 forward of the year = Juan Smith

Super14 back of the year = Julian Huxley

Super14 rookie of the year = Francios Steyn

i think brad barrit had a better season than jdv at 12
[/b]

It's just the "bubbling under" pick.... but fair point, i was struggling to think of any other 12's besides Gitz/McAlister and i was probably a little blinded by all the intercept tries.

not too bad but I don't think shepherd really deserves to be there. Masaga had a great year imo and defintely should have a place in the team. the rest I think I would proabbly go with though

Corey Flynn? The guy can't throw at all at the lineout D:

I'd have Matfield over Chisholm.
I wouldn't have Giteau at 10. How many games did he have at 10? I'd throw that spot to Stephen Donald. He's had a pretty good Super12. But I guess nobody rates him. He pretty much took Brett to school in the last match.

Masaga had a great year in the absence of Sitiveni Sivivatu and Sosene Anesi. The Chiefs were riddled with injuries. They should do pretty well next year if they can keep their players injury free. Masaga got 8 tries, and he's not even a first choice player.

ah stephen donald forgot about him. he defintely deserves a spot too possibly ahead of giteau.

for me form back woul dhave to go to Toeava

look at his stats

Metres
Player Total
Roy Kinikinilau 889
Isaia Toeava 875
Lote Tuqiri 833
JP Pietersen 781
David Smith 681

Defenders Beaten
Player Total
Isaia Toeava 46
Lote Tuqiri 38
Roy Kinikinilau 33
Sione Lauaki 32
Cory Jane 29

Clean Breaks
Player Total
Isaia Toeava 20
David Smith 17
Roy Kinikinilau 15
Casey Laulala 13
Breyton Paulse 12
Bryan Habana 12

Assists
Player Total
Matt Giteau 6
Isaia Toeava 5
Scott Hamilton 4
Stephen Brett 4

more player stats
http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=6474.html

Id have John Smit over Botha, hes improved all round this year. Also add to that my dislike of Bulls and Sharks bias

The TRUTH speaketh The TRUTH! Can`t find anything wrong with your picks there mate.

The TRUTH speaketh The TRUTH! Can`t find anything wrong with your picks there mate.
[/b]

Ha! So you do agree then that JW should make space for Watson?

15. Julian Huxley </span> - amazing utility player.

Bubbling Under: Bevin Fortuin, Cory Jane, Peter Hewat

2007 MVP - Victor Matfield

Best Forward - Juan Smith

Best Back - Isaia Toeava

Joint Awards for Rookie of the Year:
Brendon Leonard
Stephen Brett
Lachlan Turner

stephen donald is the most underrated guy imo, hes fantastic!!

sivivatu's inclusion back from the reconditional program, was outstanding!!

and i really rate luke watson!!!

I agree with Juggernauts team more but i would have Lauaki at 8, the mans a wrecking ball

Masaga over Shepherd?

Donald over Giteau?

So what you're saying is that you didn't watch the Force play this year right?

Aren't you guys forgetting the fact that Donald was by far the worst player in the Super14 over the first 5-6 weeks or that Lelia 'turnstyle' Masaga has missed more tackles per match than any other player in the comp.

I didn't include those two for a reason.

Masaga over Shepherd?

Donald over Giteau?

Aren't you guys forgetting the fact that Donald was by far the worst player in the Super14 over the first 5-6 weeks or that Lelia 'turnstyle' Masaga has missed more tackles per match than any other player in the comp.

I didn't include those two for a reason.
[/b]

I think we all watched the force play a fair bit this season. they were on fire at times and at other times they had 50 points on them. giteau did play well but I think donald performed better and more consistently. giteau seemed to be out of the game a bit in some of the force games I watched while donald always seemed to be in the action.

masaga was one of the finds of the super 14. you did watch th chiefs play right B)

Masaga over Shepherd?

Donald over Giteau?

[/b]

You didnt watch the Chiefs vs Force game did you???

But I apologise about Sherperd, it was an error on my part. I genuinely forgot to add his name BUT I stand by decision in omitting Giteau.

<div class='quotemain'>
Masaga over Shepherd?

Donald over Giteau?

[/b]

You didnt watch the Chiefs vs Force game did you???
[/b][/quote]

Err... yeah i did and Giteau was superb in that match

Giteau scored 2 brilliant individual tries and set up another... he was arguably the man of the match (maybe just behind leonard)

Donald didn't score a single try nor did he set up any.

Donald only passed the ball 7 times in the whole match compared to Giteau's 30 - he was basically a passenger.

I'm honestly not sure where you were going that one :lol:... are you sure you watched the game? :D