• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SuperLiga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

its good to read some news, I was getting scared they were gonna delay the 2 team one more time, its a shame for tucuman, I guess they'll have to wait for when we finally get 4 team, that would be the lowest decent amount of profesional sides we would need, at least we'll be on pair with wales and ireland. Some day, maybe in a decade, who knows

Big news is that North America Canada won't be involved now and there will only be 7 teams in 2023. I wonder if that opens a door for Tucuman in 2024. I think it's smart not to include the the North American sides just cause of travel. If you have to include a US side have it be where the flights wouldn't be as long.

See Bruce's correction.

Last edited:

Big news is that North America won't be involved now and there will only be 7 teams in 2023. I wonder if that opens a door for Tucuman in 2024. I think it's smart not to include the the North American sides just cause of travel. If you have to include a US side have it be where the flights wouldn't be as long.
The link says Raptors involved, Pride out. Worst of both worlds as you can't even do a two game tour of NA.

What does this mean for Los Jaguares? A great club that has achieved so much in so many different competitions

interesting. Wonder why Canada pulled out? Yeah will be rough.
I think they've decided to focus their efforts to play in Major League Rugby. The Toronto Arrows played a match in British Columbia last season. So why not have your own team in BC? I think it will happen.

Last edited:
What does this mean for Los Jaguares? A great club that has achieved so much in so many different competitions

The suggestion is Pampas vs Tucuman is a better local rivalry whereas Jaguares are national side without that rivalry. People are clinging to the name change to Super Rugby Americas being an indicator of a future connection to Super Rugby Pacific in the future, but there is no information to support that at this stage. It's hard to see Jaguares playing anywhere, anytime soon unless this World Club Cup rumour takes off. That would be my best guess.

I've read a rumour that the American Raptors will have up to 10 Colombians in the squad. That would be amusing given the reason they gave for walking out on the MLR was it wasn't doing enough to develop US talent.

Also suggestion WR were stumping up cash for Canada but the union felt unable to afford to join SLAR (SRA).

And the rebranded Super Rugby Americas season kicks off.

Apparently Dogos are local Argentine players from Cordoba whereas Pampas have more of the top players nationally. Yacare have a squad of 44, 30 of which are eligible to play for Paraguay, so if my maths is right they must field a minimum of 9 Paraguayans in their 23, which is a big step forward for them.

The American Raptors are the biggest new addition. Somewhat frustratingly for me they have a female head coach with their brand new team. It seems she is effectively making her coaching debut at this professional level by jumping straight in to head coach. Much like the female coach of Dallas in the MLR in their debut season as a franchise.

It is great that some team owners are not blinkered when it comes to gender, but giving two female coaches their pro debut straight at head coach level has the potential to do more harm than good, both for the team and for gender equality (Dallas finished winless and the coach lost their job). I hope the Raptors coach proves me wrong but she is up against experienced coaches coaching sides of RWC qualifying quality. I'd have preferred an experienced coach at the professional level as coach to mentor any identified female talent who would get a year or two apprenticeship as a positional, attack or defence coach before stepping up into the head coach role. Apologies, if I come across as a dinosaur but I'm a great believer in a bit of forward planning when it comes to equality issues.

For what I've reading, Pampas has almost all players from buenos aires union's clubs, except for a couple, and Dogos has all players from the rest of the provinces. Here are the squads:

Pampas: Javier Corvalán (pilar / Deportiva Francesa), Matías Medrano (pilar / Regatas de Bella Vista), Miguel Prince (pilar / Newman), Rodrigo Martínez (pilar / Los Tordos), Ramiro Gurovich (hooker / Club Atlético Estudiantes), Valentino Minoyetti(hooker / Buenos Aires C&RC), Rodrigo Pérez Boulan (hooker / Lomas Athletic), Javier Coronel (pilar / Universitario de La Plata), Martín Villar (pilar / Lomas Athletic), Renzo Zanella (pilar / Comercial RC), Lorenzo Colidio (segunda línea / Duendes RC), Jerónimo Ureta (segunda línea / Newman), Franco Carrera (segunda línea / San Cirano), Rodrigo Fernández Criado (segunda línea / Belgrano Athletic), Eliseo Fourcade (segunda línea / Pucará), Federico Lavanini (segunda línea / Hindú Club), Manuel Bernstein (ala / Club de Rugby Ateneo Inmaculada), Eliseo Chiavassa (ala / Los Tilos), Nicolás D'Amorim (ala / Hindú Club), Felipe Bares (ala / Los Tilos), Benjamín Grondona (octavo / Champagnat), Santiago Ruiz (octavo / Regatas Bella Vista), Mateo Albanese (medio-scrum / SIC), Tomás Di Biase (medio-scrum / Deportiva Francesa), Rafael Iriarte (medio-scrum / CUBA), Eliseo Morales (medio-scrum / Universitario de Salta), Joaquín de la Vega Mendía (apertura / Hindú Club), Joaquín Lamas (apertura / SIC), Tomás Suárez Folch(apertura / La Plata RC), Tomás Passaro (wing o fullback / CUBA), Jerónimo Ulloa (wing / Newman), Manuel Alfaro (centro / Banco Nación), Felipe de la Vega (centro / CUBA), Juan Pablo Castro (centro / San Juan RC), Santiago Castro (wing/ San Martín), Iñaki Delguy (wing / Pucará), Igancio Lucero (wing / Mendoza RC), Mateo Pannochia (wing / Los Tordos), Benjamín Elizalde (fullback / Tigres RC) y Juan Ignacio Landó (fullback / Belgrano Athletic). (There are more from the interior that ehat I remembered)

Dogos: Juan Cruz Strada (Santa Fe Rugby), Juan Mernes (Estudiantes de Paraná), Lautaro Cipriani (Tilcara), Manuel Todaro (Universitario de Rosario), Román Pretz (Duendes), Ignacio Gandini(Duendes), Valentino Di Capua (Duendes), Francisco Diez (Duendes), Franco Giudice (GER), Juan Bautista Baronio (Jockey Club Rosario), Mateo Núñez (Alma Juniors, de Esperanza), Tomás Bartolini (Marista RC), Aitor Bildosola (Los Tordos), Julián Hernández (Marista RC), Ernesto Giudice (Mendoza RC), Lautaro Peralta (Mendoza RC), Leonardo Gea Salim (Universitario de Salta), Mariano García Azcarate (Universitario de Salta), Facundo García Hamilton (Tucumán Rugby), Santiago Pulella (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Octavio Filipa (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Franco Molina (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Efraín Elías (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Agustín Segura (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Agustín Moyano (Córdoba Athletic), Boris Wernger (Jockey de Villa María), Ramiro Valdez (La Tablada), Gregorio Hernández (Tala), Lautaro Simes (Tala), Valentín Soler (Tala), Mateo Soler (Tala), Octavio Barbatti (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Nicolás Viola (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Felipe Mallía (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Francisco Udrisard (La Tablada), Federico Albrisi (Tala), Valentín Cabral (Córdoba Athletic) y Faustino Sánchez Volarolo (Palermo Bajo).

Apparently there are 101 argentine players on the competition, the only team without are peñarol and selknam, apparently to prepare for the world cup

Source

Its a good increased of the profesional pool, between this and all the players on the US and Europe. I think there were couple on super rugby too.

Would be nice to keep increasing the pool with a team in Tucuman soon.

The first much was pretty entertaining. It was nice to see people on the stands, hear the shouting and all. Hopefully the game keeps getting better and more competitive and having the stadiums on rugby hotspots like now would keep getting more people to the stands

For what I've reading, Pampas has almost all players from buenos aires union's clubs, except for a couple, and Dogos has all players from the rest of the provinces. Here are the squads:

Pampas: Javier Corvalán (pilar / Deportiva Francesa), Matías Medrano (pilar / Regatas de Bella Vista), Miguel Prince (pilar / Newman), Rodrigo Martínez (pilar / Los Tordos), Ramiro Gurovich (hooker / Club Atlético Estudiantes), Valentino Minoyetti(hooker / Buenos Aires C&RC), Rodrigo Pérez Boulan (hooker / Lomas Athletic), Javier Coronel (pilar / Universitario de La Plata), Martín Villar (pilar / Lomas Athletic), Renzo Zanella (pilar / Comercial RC), Lorenzo Colidio (segunda línea / Duendes RC), Jerónimo Ureta (segunda línea / Newman), Franco Carrera (segunda línea / San Cirano), Rodrigo Fernández Criado (segunda línea / Belgrano Athletic), Eliseo Fourcade (segunda línea / Pucará), Federico Lavanini (segunda línea / Hindú Club), Manuel Bernstein (ala / Club de Rugby Ateneo Inmaculada), Eliseo Chiavassa (ala / Los Tilos), Nicolás D'Amorim (ala / Hindú Club), Felipe Bares (ala / Los Tilos), Benjamín Grondona (octavo / Champagnat), Santiago Ruiz (octavo / Regatas Bella Vista), Mateo Albanese (medio-scrum / SIC), Tomás Di Biase (medio-scrum / Deportiva Francesa), Rafael Iriarte (medio-scrum / CUBA), Eliseo Morales (medio-scrum / Universitario de Salta), Joaquín de la Vega Mendía (apertura / Hindú Club), Joaquín Lamas (apertura / SIC), Tomás Suárez Folch(apertura / La Plata RC), Tomás Passaro (wing o fullback / CUBA), Jerónimo Ulloa (wing / Newman), Manuel Alfaro (centro / Banco Nación), Felipe de la Vega (centro / CUBA), Juan Pablo Castro (centro / San Juan RC), Santiago Castro (wing/ San Martín), Iñaki Delguy (wing / Pucará), Igancio Lucero (wing / Mendoza RC), Mateo Pannochia (wing / Los Tordos), Benjamín Elizalde (fullback / Tigres RC) y Juan Ignacio Landó (fullback / Belgrano Athletic). (There are more from the interior that ehat I remembered)

Dogos: Juan Cruz Strada (Santa Fe Rugby), Juan Mernes (Estudiantes de Paraná), Lautaro Cipriani (Tilcara), Manuel Todaro (Universitario de Rosario), Román Pretz (Duendes), Ignacio Gandini(Duendes), Valentino Di Capua (Duendes), Francisco Diez (Duendes), Franco Giudice (GER), Juan Bautista Baronio (Jockey Club Rosario), Mateo Núñez (Alma Juniors, de Esperanza), Tomás Bartolini (Marista RC), Aitor Bildosola (Los Tordos), Julián Hernández (Marista RC), Ernesto Giudice (Mendoza RC), Lautaro Peralta (Mendoza RC), Leonardo Gea Salim (Universitario de Salta), Mariano García Azcarate (Universitario de Salta), Facundo García Hamilton (Tucumán Rugby), Santiago Pulella (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Octavio Filipa (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Franco Molina (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Efraín Elías (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Agustín Segura (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Agustín Moyano (Córdoba Athletic), Boris Wernger (Jockey de Villa María), Ramiro Valdez (La Tablada), Gregorio Hernández (Tala), Lautaro Simes (Tala), Valentín Soler (Tala), Mateo Soler (Tala), Octavio Barbatti (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Nicolás Viola (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Felipe Mallía (Jockey Club de Córdoba), Francisco Udrisard (La Tablada), Federico Albrisi (Tala), Valentín Cabral (Córdoba Athletic) y Faustino Sánchez Volarolo (Palermo Bajo).

Apparently there are 101 argentine players on the competition, the only team without are peñarol and selknam, apparently to prepare for the world cup

Source

Its a good increased of the profesional pool, between this and all the players on the US and Europe. I think there were couple on super rugby too.

Would be nice to keep increasing the pool with a team in Tucuman soon.

The first much was pretty entertaining. It was nice to see people on the stands, hear the shouting and all. Hopefully the game keeps getting better and more competitive and having the stadiums on rugby hotspots like now would keep getting more people to the stands
Looks like decent stands in Chile too (if the weather is dry). European Tier2 could really learn from SLAR / Sudamerica about appropriate stadia and the importance of competitive matches (for example, packing lesser sides with Argentines to keep things competitive then reduce the amount of Argentinds as domestic players are produced).

I expect Selknam and Penarol to perhaps have a focus on being healthy for the RWC so expect the Argentine sides to finish first and second this year despite presumably diluting their talent across two sides.

Dogos/Pampas 1st & 2nd
Penarol 3rd
Selknam 4th
Yacare 5th
Cobras 6th (although untested coach)
Raptors 7th

In the trasmition they said there were 3000 people on the stands, I hoping they build on the momentum and keep the numbers consistent. Tho I expect fewe people mid regular season, and hopefully a surge on semi finals/ finals.

Also, really disspointing showing from american raptors, looks like the top american players kept to the MLR as expected

Signs the US union are taking an interest in SRA (rather than it being Glendale only). They are sending a development team to play SRA sides.

Georgian Black Lions will also do a tour of the SRA sides.

American Raptors looking a little more promising this week but it could just have been rust from Penarol that flattered the Raptors.

Two of the brightest emerging Tier2s for the 2027 RWC cycle played the 'final' of the Sudamerican 4N. Brazil have some big units and I like what I have read of their domestic development pathway. The action didn't really get going until the second half.

Although not universally acclaimed this guy does some seriously interesting historical pieces on Tier2 nations. This is up there with his Romania one.

Two of the brightest emerging Tier2s for the 2027 RWC cycle played the 'final' of the Sudamerican 4N. Brazil have some big units and I like what I have read of their domestic development pathway. The action didn't really get going until the second half.
Are they doing something? their level went really down in the last couple of years comparing to the americas rugby championship. Tournament I would love to see come back, now that everyone has professional players. For 2020 they were even going to have a second tier tournament and a promotion/relegation system. A way to include some not so developed teams like colombia, or the injustly left out paraguay, when the tournament started. But well covid killed everything, and it seems that south america isnt totally recovered. As an example Argentina had 3 professional teams in 2019 (with hugely different quality standards) ceibos (SLAR) Jaguares XV (curry cup) and Jaguares (Super Rugby).

Now, what I was coming to say. A 2024 season has been announced. Same 7 franchises same countries (the argie teams are unnamed, so cities, names and all that are not confirmed yet. The others are). Argentina 2 professional teams 2024, 5 years later. I keep saying, we'll need at least 4 professional teams, if not much more. And all the players spread all over the other countries.

After that, our only pathway for a T1 league is growing the fanbase of the league but making club fan give a **** about the tournament, and having a stable and gorwing economy to allow the union, and the provincial unions, to stopped depending on word rugby money, and being able to pay better salaries. Not a simple path in my argentine citizen living in argentina opinion. If we dont have that, we are condemned to a development for the south american T2s, and for us to expand the pool of future eligible players for the pumas.

https://www.slar.rugby/vuelve-el-super-rugby-americas-en-2024-22?nid=466

Are they doing something? their level went really down in the last couple of years comparing to the americas rugby championship. Tournament I would love to see come back, now that everyone has professional players. For 2020 they were even going to have a second tier tournament and a promotion/relegation system. A way to include some not so developed teams like colombia, or the injustly left out paraguay, when the tournament started. But well covid killed everything, and it seems that south america isnt totally recovered. As an example Argentina had 3 professional teams in 2019 (with hugely different quality standards) ceibos (SLAR) Jaguares XV (curry cup) and Jaguares (Super Rugby).

Now, what I was coming to say. A 2024 season has been announced. Same 7 franchises same countries (the argie teams are unnamed, so cities, names and all that are not confirmed yet. The others are). Argentina 2 professional teams 2024, 5 years later. I keep saying, we'll need at least 4 professional teams, if not much more. And all the players spread all over the other countries.

After that, our only pathway for a T1 league is growing the fanbase of the league but making club fan give a **** about the tournament, and having a stable and gorwing economy to allow the union, and the provincial unions, to stopped depending on word rugby money, and being able to pay better salaries. Not a simple path in my argentine citizen living in argentina opinion. If we dont have that, we are condemned to a development for the south american T2s, and for us to expand the pool of future eligible players for the pumas.

https://www.slar.rugby/vuelve-el-super-rugby-americas-en-2024-22?nid=466
I thought you guys were getting a third team? Or did they just play some friendlies? I like what slar is doing. Building slowly, it will get there.

I thought you guys were getting a third team? Or did they just play some friendlies? I like what slar is doing. Building slowly, it will get there.
Apparently some of the northen provincial unions were pressuring the UAR for a team, since they gave the one that was gonna be in Tucuman to the more obvious choices of cordoba. But it was either just especulation or the money didnt appear, I guess world rugby was reasonably more concern about the world cup.

Here is an article, in spanish, talking about it: https://www.aplenorugby.com.ar/site/america/super-rugby-americas/75371/el-noa-quiere-su-franquicia

Latest posts