• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Surgery recovery

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Just had a Bankart repair on my right shoulder yesterday and wondering if anyone else has has one and has some advice and/or inspirational stories to help me through this.

I know I'm technically on time to recover by next season but currently doped up on a ton of painkillers and stuck in a sling so not particularly enthusiastic <_<

When you are capable , go hit the gym like a freak and ingest 4000 calories a day.

You will become large , very large

Swimming is the best for it and water aerobics. Without these I wouldn't have overcome the injury I had, although not shoulder but ankle, same principals apply.

I spent enough time throughout my playing days injured or recovering from injury and its hard but you need to keep active and distracted somehow.

When you are capable , go hit the gym like a freak and ingest 4000 calories a day.

You will become large , very large

Well I'll finally be able to bench and squat again seriously... And I haven't even touched a shoulder press for a couple of years :(

Swimming is something I want to get started on but it's going to be a good month or two before I'm even out of the sling permanently.

As it is I've opened up a free month trial of netflix and intend to sit on my ass watching Breaking Bad until I'm mobile enough to do something XD

Last edited:
Well I'll finally be able to bench and squat again seriously... And I haven't even touched a shoulder press for a couple of years :(

Swimming is something I want to get started on but it's going to be a good month or two before I'm even out of the sling permanently.

As it is I've opened up a free month trial of netflix and intend to sit on my ass watching Breaking Bad until I'm mobile enough to do something XD

In the month you have off I'd cut weight and get as lean as possible in prep for the upcoming bulk , what BF% are you at

I'm in a situation where if my sholder doesn't come right I'll be joining you. Wondering if you have had something similar.

My issue started about four years ago when I was flipped in Hapkido and broke my collor bone. Because of this I had to take time of rugby and I think my left sholder lost quite a bit of muscle. I started finding that I'd make a tackle or get hit in a ruck and my sholder went from extremely painful to just a dead arm which I couldn't move much. I had to switch from TH to LH to accomidate it - as when I went to bind with my left arm it would feel uncomfortable and occasionally 'pop'. Anyway this year it has been especially bad, to the point I felt it pop out three or four times a week doing easy tasks like stretching.

I've gone to physio for it over the last few years, but it seem to only take one heavy contact and I'm back to square one. Did you have something similar?

In terms of an inspirational story to help you get over it - in 1973 a man was attacked by a shark in NSW, Australia. He fought for 3 and a half minutes with the shark but eventually managed to escape before eventually succumbing to his injuries.

I broke my ankle in november and had to have surgery, so I've been through something similar recently. I found that the first 2 weeks after were the toughest mentally and physically. Not being able to move on your own obviously sucks but for me missing the season ( Broke my ankle 5 minets into the first game of the season) was the worst part. Fortunately I was only supposed to be put for 3 months, not as bad as what is i'm assuming is about 6 months for you, so I was able to just think about recovering for the end of the season. Be optimistic thinking about recovering early and getting back into ti sooner. Due to that I was walking in 3 weeks and back playing 2 months to the day after a broke ankle. However don't push it or risk any long term damage to yourself.

Best of luck :)

No clue what my BF% is right now, but I'm intending to get on the bike for extended periods of time for the next couple of weeks (the only exercise I can really do, but staying clear of it for a couple of days atm just so I don't jostle the shoulder).

As a little bit of history, I first dislocated it doing a shoulder press, the weight shifted slightly back and the shoulder just popped out of the joint. I had to relocate it myself against the closes wall (and then hide it from my mother for a couple of days XD ). Since then I've dislocated it every couple of years in rugby... A couple of times in the tackle, once in the motion of scoring (a game in which I proceeded to come back onto the pitch after getting my shoulder back into the socket, possibly the stupidest/proudest moment of my rugby career). Anyway, the most recent time was much worse than the most, broke through the line, went one on one with the full back... And attempted to hand off.

Needless to say it did not end up well and I ended up in the hospital on Morphine before they popped it back in :p

You're right, it seems it'll be about 6 months. The one silver lining is that although I'm missing a fair few games, I'll be back in time for next season. Anyway it would have been a terrible idea to play the rest of the games this season with my shoulder in the state it is (which means I probably would have done it...)