• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Team of the Tournament

I find it extraordinary that so many have Farrell as their ouside half. Yes he's good for his age but that's not the criteria. Dare I ask how many tries England scored with the ball passing through Farrell's hands? Not many if any. If its a kicking outside half you want then Priestland demonstrated his superiority in the French game - his up and unders are 5 to 10 metres higher than Farrell's, and his open field kicking is 10 to 20 metres farther, both very important considerations. In American Football the hang time of kicks are accurately measured, Priestland would win hands down over Farrell.

I find it extraordinary that so many have Farrell as their ouside half. Yes he's good for his age but that's not the criteria. Dare I ask how many tries England scored with the ball passing through Farrell's hands? Not many if any. If its a kicking outside half you want then Priestland demonstrated his superiority in the French game - his up and unders are 5 to 10 metres higher than Farrell's, and his open field kicking is 10 to 20 metres farther, both very important considerations. In American Football the hang time of kicks are accurately measured, Priestland would win hands down over Farrell.

Yep, and usually into touch on the full. He is not a quality kicker, and his confidence has been shot recently. It says rather a lot when your 10 isn't the goal kicker, because he misses. Farrell misses very rarely. He puts England in the right parts of the field with tactical kicking - Priestland puts it out on the full. On form he's ball-playing 10, but at the moment he's not even that, his confidence is shot and he fell to pieces somewhat in key games. He was bashed about against England and in general had a poor second half of the tournament. I don't really know why your measure of a quality outside half is who can kick the ball highest in the air. Yes, not many tries went through because of his distribution but that's precisely because he's a kicking 10, and does it well. Reminder: This is a Team of the Tournament thread, not a 'who can we cream ourselves over and be self-congratulatory about' - and priestland was generally poor in the second half of this years six nations.

I'm picking this team purely on 6N performances - this doesn't mean I think X is a better player than Y, just that they had a better 6N tournament.

1. Jenkins - class as usual.
2. Hartley - head and shoulders the most consistent hooker of the tournament, tackling, scrumming and throwing well.
3. Cole - Scrummaged effectively and tackled/ carried well in the loose.
4. Gray - what a shame he plays for such a crap team. Shoe-in for the Lions at the moment.
5. Parling - difficult decision here but I'm going with someone who really grew in stature and made their team look better.
6. Lydiate - no question, cornerstone of Wales' Grand Slam.
7. Rennie - Warburton didn't play enough and Rennie showed how useful a proper 7 can be. Shame he's Scottish.
8. Parisse - not his finest 6N but still classy and still has a massive impact for Italy.
9. Phillips - just a cut above any of the other competition
10. Farrell - wins it because Preistland went missing against England.
11. North - One of several babies around who are playing like 30 year olds.
12. Fofana - France's best back, no question. Hopefully has a long future for Les Bleus.
13. Davies - does all the little things well and a key cog in the Welsh backline.
14. Cuthbert - I'd never heard of him but he's looked excellent.
15. Kearney - I chose a Taff over a Mick for 14, vice versa for 15.

6 Welshmen, 4 Englishmen, 2 Scots, 1 Irish, 1 French, 1 Italian. Fair or not?

Debateable Calls

Tighthead - Adam Jones excellent throughout, but I felt Cole was more effective in the loose.

2nd Row - O'Connell, Maestri and Jones all impressed me but I thought Parling stood out more for his team.

Openside - Robshaw had a good tournament but shouldn't play 7; Warburton didn't play enough.

Number 8 - Morgan, Denton and Faletau all looked excellent, but Parisse was more complete.

Inside centre - Jamie Roberts cannot make this team after running away from Tuilagi at half time.

Outside centre - Tuilagi was immense.

Right wing - Tommy Bowe is unlucky.

Fullback - Halfpenny is unlucky.

Last edited:
Yep, and usually into touch on the full. He is not a quality kicker, and his confidence has been shot recently. It says rather a lot when your 10 isn't the goal kicker, because he misses. Farrell misses very rarely. He puts England in the right parts of the field with tactical kicking - Priestland puts it out on the full. On form he's ball-playing 10, but at the moment he's not even that, his confidence is shot and he fell to pieces somewhat in key games. He was bashed about against England and in general had a poor second half of the tournament. I don't really know why your measure of a quality outside half is who can kick the ball highest in the air. Yes, not many tries went through because of his distribution but that's precisely because he's a kicking 10, and does it well. Reminder: This is a Team of the Tournament thread, not a 'who can we cream ourselves over and be self-congratulatory about' - and priestland was generally poor in the second half of this years six nations.

No it doesn't. It just means there is a better goal kicker

Priestland only had one decent game out of 5 this 6N though. You have to ignore his form in the WC etc. as this is a team of the 6N.
Sexton and Laidlaw would be both be ahead of Priestland for this 6N.

He had a good game against France. That was about it by his standards he has not been great this year. Taking all the games into consideration most people feel that Farrell has been the better player. Head to head Farrell came out on top in the England, Wales game. Priestland was got at by England and his confidence took a drop even Gatland at one stage was keen to get Priestland off the pitch. I am not convinced that being able to kick the ball higher is criteria for being a better ten either. A few people on here could probably name players with hugh kicks but that would not make them the best in there position.

Priestland only had one decent game out of 5 this 6N though. You have to ignore his form in the WC etc. as this is a team of the 6N.
Sexton and Laidlaw would be both be ahead of Priestland for this 6N.

Ooh i'd disagree with that. Laidlaw is a 9 playing 10, not once did i see him unleash his backs outside him. At least Priestland did that

Priestland is overrated. There, I said it.

**Disclaimer - this does not mean I think he is a bad player. Just that he gets an easy ride from having some excellent players around him - in particular big mutha****as giving him front-foot ball and with a 9 who keeps the back row honest = less pressure on the 10. But under pressure I've not seen too much from him... see England 2012, or SA 2011 for more.

Only found out by trial-and-error from previous internationals. He used to kick abit more, now he doesn't. He was given the first kick against France and everybody screamed in protest

He was given that 1st kick as Halfpenny was at the bottom of the preceding ruck so was a bit shook up

Different sport I know but Lionel Messi is now being dubbed by most "experts" as the best player ever, despite the fact that he has never performed for Argentina. With the way rugby is at the moment in Europe where Leinster would beat Ireland and Luster and Muster would run them close, Northampton at their best would beat England and Toulouse and Clermont would beat France, the huge step up to international rugby isn't really a step up at all anymore.

I still don't agree with this. The standard of international rugby is still far superior to that of club rugby in the NH, even the HC. I'm fairly confident that this current Wales team would beat every club/region/province, and the same goes for France and England. Looking at the Wales team, they're a very well rounded team with very few weaknesses, the lineout being the only obvious one, and that was much improved with the re-introduction of Rees. They wouldn't get bullied at the scrum against Northampton, and have already proved that they can handle Leinsters dangerous backrow, with Ferris in for good measure.

The HC is a hugely exciting tournament because there are close to 20 quality teams who can all beat each other on the day. But there is still a gap between it and international rugby, and this is highlighted when some players simply can't make the step-up. Leinster could maybe beat this current Ireland side due to Kidney's poor coaching, but it would be far from a forgone conclusion. Wales would smash each and every Welsh region.

As for the Priestland debate. I agree that he had a relatively poor 6 nations, and that he was probably overhyped during the WC. He's lacking a little confidence at the moment, but still pulled it out of the bag when needed. His kicking out of hand was superb against France, and was one of the biggest reasons why we won that day. His kicking out of hand is generally a strength of his, although it did falter at times this 6 nations. Far from the finished article.

Don't think anyone thinks Priestland is world class but a little surprised by the comments. His passing is first rate, kicking game against France was top drawer and when Wales get good quick ball he straightens up and draws defenders before delivering well to release the 3/4s.

Was his first 6N and although he played poorly twice (England & Italy) I was happy with him in the other three games.

Don't think anyone thinks Priestland is world class but a little surprised by the comments. His passing is first rate, kicking game against France was top drawer and when Wales get good quick ball he straightens up and draws defenders before delivering well to release the 3/4s.

Was his first 6N and although he played poorly twice (England & Italy) I was happy with him in the other three games.

Your comments are fair but they don't contradict what we have said about Priestland; namely that he was not the form 10 of the tournament. Also, any 10 should be able to prosper with quick ball, particularly the welsh half-backs who should be getting quick-ball all the time with the size of their backs. Priestland will have to play better under pressure - e.g like he didn't against england - to prove that he has the skills.

Playing poorly twice (out of 5 games) doesn't merit a place in the TOTT.

Playing poorly twice (out of 5 games) doesn't merit a place in the TOTT.

Totally agree... didn't pick him in my team. All I was doing was pointing out that he was/is better than most people give him credit.

Farrell is over-rated, there I said it. Check again on his 2nd half against France, he's been a kicking no 10 but his poor kicking that day gave France the chance to win the game. The point is that Priestland is a far far better kicking no 10 than Farrell and, believe it or not, height and distance is pretty crucial in today's rugby. Priestland is being judged at a different and much higher level than Farrell. Farrell has not progressed from being just a kicking no 10 at international level and Priestland easily beats him at that. And does Farrell play at no 10 for his club?

Is Farrell overrated? Yes.
Did Priestland have a poor six nations? Yes.

Don't forget this is SOLELY for their six nations performances, you have ignore everything else.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Farrell is over-rated, there I said it. Check again on his 2nd half against France, he's been a kicking no 10 but his poor kicking that day gave France the chance to win the game. The point is that Priestland is a far far better kicking no 10 than Farrell and, believe it or not, height and distance is pretty crucial in today's rugby. Priestland is being judged at a different and much higher level than Farrell. Farrell has not progressed from being just a kicking no 10 at international level and Priestland easily beats him at that. And does Farrell play at no 10 for his club?

What higher level?. I think you need to remember that this is playing 10 at the six nations and most people do seem to think that Farrell played better than Priestland as a whole. Priestland has been no way near his world cup form if that form returns he is a good ten. As for hight and distance it is important but not the marker of a good ten, and I would prefer an accurate ten rather than the guy who kicks it far and out on the full. I think Priestland might be helped if he takes a little distance of his kicks as it would improve his aim rather than going for the massive boot.

Of course Farrell is over rated by the media at the end of the day the guy is only twenty. He should get better but he might get worse or stay about where he is at only time will tell. A number of people seem to think that this young Wales team will improve as they gain further experience. This same logic could be applied to Farell and the England team also.

Priestland normally > Farrell > 6N Priestland

Latest posts