• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 2: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Barrett at 10. Hallelujah. I thought they might be dim and leave him at FB. Biggest threat on the park, and he needs to be where he can cause the most damage against rather ordinary opposition (do not rate Farrell). Nice one, Shag. Had he played 60+ minutes there on Saturday, who knows?

When the A.I 's come around later this year, Eddie will have Teo back on the bench and Farrell in the 12 shirt. It works for England, why not the Lions, or does it have to be Gatlands way or no way?

No offence, but if Farrell is your best 12, then you are in deep do-do. He's average at 10. I could think of a number of 12s in NZ who I would play before him.

Got a feeling Gats is being very clever. Clearly the AB strength comes off the bench so I figure he is thinking along the same lines. Lions hang in for the first half against a traditionally slow starting AB pack, then bring on their best attacking combos fresh when the ABs have done the same! (ie. Attack carries the downside of error and it is often a matter of luck as to the bounce of the ball.) With the Aussie Jones looking for his job, the Welsh Kiwi will throw everything at winning this game and deep down I think a lot of Kiwis wish him luck. Sadly luck usually only plays a role when sides are reasonably even. As tempted as I am by the odds and the history, my money stays on the ABs. No matter what the weather, this is the game of the century - lol, so far!

@Red Enigma,
"Clearly the AB strength comes off the bench......."
Yep, usually when the game is up! I think the Lions forward pack, such as it is, was well and truly knackered before Faumuina et al destroyed that scrum on Saturday. They need to compete from minute one. Honestly can't see it. Grunt stuff? Maybe, with a huge improvement. Breakdown? Nah. Skills? Nah. So we move to the backline. Nah. Sounds arrogant, and probably is. However, I just don't think they are getting near this AB team at full(ish) strength. I don't think anybody would. Depending on how horrendous the weather is, I could see 20+ points easily on the weekend.

Gotta agree with your logic. I'm not that familiar with these Lions forwards, but a Pom mate of mine thinks they will sacrifice their starting forwards then bring on fresh grunt to handle the AB bench. If that is the case it will be interesting to see how well our starting backs go with far more forward domination than they had in first test. I love our bench backs, but if the Lions control the grunt in the second half, they will face a different challenge than usual. Still agree with your points gap.

No offence, but if Farrell is your best 12, then you are in deep do-do. He's average at 10. I could think of a number of 12s in NZ who I would play before him.
Different styles completely. Farrell is a world class 12, he'll create things that no one in NZ could imo. Average 10, as good as you could ask for at 12 imo.

Exactly the ABs 23 I expected, very happy with it. Glad they didn't move Beaudy back to 15 as some were suggesting... He is much more of an asset at 10 and Dagg is a great fullback... it wasn't so long ago that he was regarded the best FB in the world. The wingers both completely deserve to be there and could really hurt the Lions. Also great to see ALB at 13, he should be our first choice center anyway imo, he's such an intelligent, skillfull player and offers more at 13 than Crotty. I'm also glad they went with Laumape at 23 - it makes sense... he's the guy who can provide the most impact. If they can get him on early enough to run at Sexton and Farrell then he could prove devastating.

The weather is going to be absolute **** so that'll probably act as a bit of leveler. If it was a fine day I'd predict an ABs blow-out, but I think it'll end up being another 15 point-odd win.

Few things on lions selection can't believe awj kept his place he was shattered after 20 mins last week
If the lions want to slow down the abs ball at ruck time rory best would be playing first man to most rucks in any game he plays . Lions have to get ahead in this game ,kick for touch in the abs half turn them around put pressure on the line out, play the game in nz half .

I told ye Henderson wouldn't be togged.
POM dropping is gas. CJ is struggling with the ankle and Warburton in is mystical.
Can see this being a +13 win for NZ

I've got a bad feeling about this and reckon we are gonna get absolutely smashed by the All Blacks.

Feels like a weaker team than last week... AWJ and Warburton don't deserve to be in the 23 really, let alone starting. Farrell is a worse 12 than Te'o imo. He really isn't the best 12 we have, he'll I think England have several better 12s really, let alone the other countries.

How can AWJ keep his place after performing like he did in the first test? That reeks of Gatland thinking about post Lions and not destroying AWJ for Wales by dropping him from the 23, which should have happened.

Surprised about Sexton-Farrell 10-12 starting combo. Offensively it gives the Lions options, but fear it'll give SBW more license to run at a them. Te'o marked him out the game last week. Still, have to go for it, so in a way can't be too displeased with this pick.

Deeply disappointed with Gatland's selections here. I don't like slating players but bar Kruis who had a shocker AWJ was the weakest player on the park last weekend. He was totally physically overwhelmed and gassed at the 20 minute mark. He gets to start again. Teo has had a good tour and performed admirably he gets shunted to accommodate a combination that haven't started on tour. Sexton and Farrell are fine players but it gives the all blacks less to worry about imo. I can see a stuffing in the offing here.

Ah well Gatland's perogative I suppose but he's going to die by the sword I suspect.

The side worries me. I've got a lot of respect for Warren Gatland and I think he's got some unfair criticism over recent times. His Wales side should have been WC finalists in 2011 and he did brilliantly with a depleted team in 2015. He's been a part of a Lions revival in 2009 and 2013 after many called for it to be scrapped after the 2005 disaster.

However, I just can't agree with him on this one. Unless he is seeing something in training that we are not, Sam Warburton should not be starting. He hasn't the form or the game time to justify it and requires a super human performance at the breakdown this week to do so.

Lock seems to be one position of incredible depth for us. I don't know what Lawes or Henderson could have done more to start and the selection of AlunWyn just seems loyalty from 2013.

After Sir Clive made those loyalty errors in 2005 I cannot believe am seeing Gatland do the same 12 years on.

Warburton and AWJ are capable of a world class game but my God have they ever needed one like this weekend. It's a potentially awful call, and only the two of them can make it a genius one.

As for Farrell at 12- I now don't understand how we even prevent the All Blacks momentum if Sonny Bill runs hard and straight and/or they continue to run hard off 9. We saw the danger last week.

It gives us some good kicking game options but it demands absolute perfection territorially, as you do not want NZ building momentum and phases in the Lions half down that 12 channel.

I'm puzzled if I'm honest.

I was joking when I said Warbs and AWJ would start....Gatland will never cease to amaze me in sheer insistence to make this the Welsh Lions plus some others. Neither deserve starting spots and it's a disgrace no matter the result on Saturday. Same as 4 years ago.

The crying shame is we are slowly seeing the backline we need to win. Well done Gats it's only taken you how many games to start it? I and others have been calling for it for ages. I'm not keen on Davies at center I'd rather see Henshaw/Daly/JJ there bit I can live with it.

Ah well at least it will be next year before we inflict Kutoje on the ABs and it'll be more of a surprise to them as a full unit. If we are lucky it will be Kutojepola.

Last edited:
Wow. If we felt some good selection decisions were made in the first test, that's certainly gone the other way with one or two of the decisions.

AWJ should have made way for Lawes. Henderson played a whole game so I can see why they might not start him, but then I think AWJ should have been dropped completely.

Farrell and Sexton in the middle were completely ineffective last week. I'm amazed Te'o has been dropped, as he was our best player whilst our ball was slow and the breakdown battle was lost. It's a massive gamble. Plus I'm not sure about the OF-JD partnership. I'm wondering whether they've gone with this decision based on the weather. Two kicking options from 10-12, with the option for the territorial kicking battle.

I can see why Warbs has been picked when he came on he got to the breakdown and did slow it down last week, but I'm surprised Stander made the bench over POM. I'm guessing they've spent a lot of time looking at the video's regarding the breakdown and some big decisions have been made on that.

Nowell... difficult one for me. We all know his finishing ability, but you need to defend against NZ and I just feel he can be exposed at times. At least he may offer more impact near the end of the game, but equally could be a risk.

At the end of the day, the forwards need a much better shift, or we may see the same game again.

Can't disagree with anything that's been said but I'm going to be positive and hope it's part of some devilish plan that none of us can foresee.

One small point though: am I the only person who would have like to see Finn Russell on the bench?

Not much to say other than yuck .... Seems like some big mistakes to me but I'll reserve judgement until Saturday after 10:30 . I suspect it will be a larger margin than last week though . I'm gonna say 42-10

On front row. Agreed on 3 starters but maybe McGrath for Mako as Mako offers amazing impact from bench.
2nd row. Lawes deserves a start. AWJ doesn't deserve to be in the 23. Itoje deserves to be there.
Backrow. Seanie deserves to stay. Warburton doesn't deserve to be in 23 and I'd argue should feel a bit iffy as he got selected through brown nosing Gatland. He has no form or fitness and hasn't earned it. Faletau is there as there is no real alternative.
9. Murray deserves to be in again.
10/12. I use these 2 as a unit because I think Te'o is very unlucky. But accept Alpha point earlier you get more out of a Sexton/Farrell unit. My issue is out of the 3 though Te'o has had a great tour while Sexton and Farrell have had mixed tours at best. Also again I've no issues with the 2 lads but apart from it being forced why wasn't this combo tried more during the tour?
13. Davies deserves his spot.
11/14/15. Again the lads deserve another go.

16. I think Best is unlucky but was flogged and made play 80mins despite not being built to play 80 anymore and welfare put at risk by Gatland stupidity so had to be Owens.
17. No issues
18. No Issues
19. Lawes should be starting and Henderson here but again Gatland arrogance and stupidity causes this.
20. Many here know I'm the biggest fan of CJ here for years and work closely with him at Munster. But few issues. He probably deserves 20 jersey but not to be ahead of POM or Tips on form. And he isn't 100% which is clear and if CJ isn't 100% pain free it's hard to do well in these games because of his style. Tips had superb game Tuesday and POM has done nothing to merit being dropped.
21/22/23 - Easy to pick as North and Henshaw ruled out. Halfpenny was carrying knock too it's being said.

The issue is though Gatland has picked with bias and thoughts on Wales post-tour and it's actually hampered the Lions chances, the reputaion and pride of the tour and morale within the squad

In theory I like playing with 2 playmakers, but in reality last week the two of them looked on totally different wavelengths. I hope they've been training together all week. Also think we're giving up something in defence - Farrell's frequently-creamed-over-by-journalists defensive strengths are a little overstated IMO. I'd be surprised if he contains SBW like Teo did.

As for the controversial pro-Welsh calls ... Warbs I can see the argument, sort of. AWJ is a ******* joke. I've never been as upset as some at Gats' preference for Welsh players, there's a lot to be said for sticking with personalities you know / players familiar with your game plan when you have limited preparation time (the gameplan itself is a whole other issue mind...), but this is really taking the ****. Especially so soon after calling up a couple of guys from Llanfairfechan 2nd XV because they were in town visiting mates

Latest posts