• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great series, but at the final whistle, you could sense the entire stadium and players on the field were thinking "now what? What just happened?" Perhaps they were all still stunned by the refs 180 degree. But, it was like no one really knew what to do next. It was somehow anti climatic ..... Been a terrific series, but would have been nice to see a victor. Final test was also possibly the worst actual rugby game of the tour, if not the most dramatic. Riveting, but disappointing. Not sure how I felt.

Yeah but to make remarks that the people should get their money back is a very flawed comment to say the least. Yes, for the people at the stadium it's never fun to see a drawn test match. But they happen, Just because a match was drawn, doesn't give people the right to claim back their money. If that was the case, what would be the argument had one of teams lost? They could have more of a case due to the referee's indecision. The "We wuz robbed" argument doesn't have a money back guarantee...

Top post. I fear for the other Super Rugby provinces after the Lions tour. I really do. 6 weeks of pretty gritty rugby in NZ, while the SA and OZ provinces have been off for a month.

the SA guys haven't been off though. We've had 2 weeks of Super Rugby already, and before that we had our domestic SS challenge competition going on, where a lot of guys played if they weren't part of the Sprinboks and SA "A" sides.

Couple of things from the highlights here:

Opening passage- Pass by Farrell was just not on. Should have kept ball in hand. Typical of the Lions trying too hard to rush things in the red zone. Having seen his pace many times before this, I thought Barrrett would have gone 90 and scored. Well done Williams to track him down - just. Davies did fantastic to track down Laumape. Watson clearly had the pace over Savea to get back in support (was it Savea?)

First try - you just knew the kick was on. Great play by both Barretts. Laumape read the chance and bust a gut to get there, and Davies just never reacted the same.

2nd Try - fancied the Lions over committed inside (Davies) and left ABS 13 free to run through and give Barrett an easy debut try. The Dagg run held Farrell, and Davies simply pinched when he never had to. Watson was then lost too. Williams also committed inside when the cover was maybe there. Poor defence it has to be said all around, but a set play from the Abs, not unlike SBW offload to West earlier in the tour..

Knock On at the end - Looking at the last knock on again, the more I see it, the more I want it to have gone backwards from the knock down. If it was forward, then I am afraid that has been called as a pen anywhere else. Indeed, the ref called a peb straight away, and was correct.

This 5 minutes shows the differences in the two sides IMHO. Lions are good enough to compete in a grind, but the ABs still have the better basic skills and belief that they are better.

Anyone pick up the cheap shot on Ratallick around the 3:12 mark? if Kaino got a yellow why not the Lions player?

If you haven't already seen it, try to get a look at a photo in the inewspaper today. Tadhg Furlong and Codie Taylor after the game - fantastic!

Awesome final test, great series, thoroughly enjoyable tour as a whole, the wait until the start of the new season is gonna be rough. I have enjoyed trawling through the various articles, comments sections and forums and the same debates and comments have tended to pop up again and again... 'if the ABs had taken their opportunities', 'if NZ hadn't have had a man sent off in the second test', 'if Barrett had of kicked his goals' or 'If France didn't produce any referees'... 'it would have ended 3-0!'.

Just saw a reply to this sort of statement that made me literally lol 'My uncle always used to say that if Hitler had more tanks, he might have won the war!' Priceless

For me this series ended in the manner I thought it would, before the Lions arrived in NZ. Lions defend stoutly and rely on the Ref finding infringements, so they can bang over penalties from around half way. However, I must admit, even in my most cynical moments did I predict that the Ref would award the AB's a penalty with 2 minutes to play in the Final and deciding Test and then, after lengthy consultations with every party, find a way to change his decision.
You must have won a ******* shed load of loot with your clairvoyant talents, perhaps you can tell me what will win the 8.05 at Uttoxeter tomorrow evening and enlighten us all (I fancy River Icon, currently 4 to 1)
This Lions tour was excellent the right coach and captain and in the main the right squad and matchday selection, credit where due Gatland has achieved greatness, yes there are those that don't agree but deep down these Gatland/Warburton knockers must realise how wrong they are and in the main they are ****** off because we didn't get hammered 3 nil and they are too ungracious to admit how wrong they were, so they continue to spout bile in the direction of Gats and Warburton, rather than grow a set and admit how wrong they are/were

Awesome final test, great series, thoroughly enjoyable tour as a whole, the wait until the start of the new season is gonna be rough. I have enjoyed trawling through the various articles, comments sections and forums and the same debates and comments have tended to pop up again and again... 'if the ABs had taken their opportunities', 'if NZ hadn't have had a man sent off in the second test', 'if Barrett had of kicked his goals' or 'If France didn't produce any referees'... 'it would have ended 3-0!'.

Just saw a reply to this sort of statement that made me literally lol 'My uncle always used to say that if Hitler had more tanks, he might have won the war!' Priceless
Excellent post, I can't believe there are so many negative comments after what was a great series with a fantastic outcome for the Lions, mind you most of the knockers are ****** off because they wanted Gats and Warbs to fail, therefore this is one in the eye for those bitter and twisted gobshites.

You must have won a ******* shed load of loot with your clairvoyant talents, perhaps you can tell me what will win the 8.05 at Uttoxeter tomorrow evening and enlighten us all (I fancy River Icon, currently 4 to 1)
This Lions tour was excellent the right coach and captain and in the main the right squad and matchday selection, credit where due Gatland has achieved greatness, yes there are those that don't agree but deep down these Gatland/Warburton knockers must realise how wrong they are and in the main they are ****** off because we didn't get hammered 3 nil and they are too ungracious to admit how wrong they were, so they continue to spout bile in the direction of Gats and Warburton, rather than grow a set and admit how wrong they are/were

My crystal ball is telling me Wintour Leap will get up over your River Icon in a forgettable, dour, boring encounter.
This Lions Team scrapped out a drawn series in exactly the manner predicted by plenty more than me and good luck to them and you up in the Valleys. But this was no 1971 Lions team. What did the 2017 Lions bring us -
-Scream loud as you can in the lineouts so opposition hooker can't hear the calls.
-Walk over to Touch judges and plead for scrum penalties.
-Flop down on the ground and feign injury every time an AB gets near you, in order to buy a penalty.
etc etc. The only thing memorable about this lot was the French clowns posing as referees who came with them.

By the way -Warburton is so well thought of in NZ, you'd think he was a Kiwi. NZ rugby loves Warburton.

Irony overload considering the dive Barrett took in the second test
You need to explain this comment. "NZers don't understand 'irony' " say British writers.
Barrett is a rookie compared to that fullback Williams. Does he carry on like that back in Britain or was it just for the Lions tour? He must be from good Uruguayan stock.

Yeah but to make remarks that the people should get their money back is a very flawed comment to say the least. Yes, for the people at the stadium it's never fun to see a drawn test match. But they happen, Just because a match was drawn, doesn't give people the right to claim back their money. If that was the case, what would be the argument had one of teams lost? They could have more of a case due to the referee's indecision. The "We wuz robbed" argument doesn't have a money back guarantee...

the SA guys haven't been off though. We've had 2 weeks of Super Rugby already, and before that we had our domestic SS challenge competition going on, where a lot of guys played if they weren't part of the Sprinboks and SA "A" sides.
Was not agreeing with the right to get refund for match tickets. I'd give a small fraction of my left knacker to get to a Lions Tour. Excellent product, and this has been one of the best series.

As for Super Rugby in SA. A month off from playing NZ sides then....... ;)

That Fullback, Williams, was throwing himself all over the place. He looked like an Italian soccer player.

This is something that I am not happy about.
Hogg did it in the RWC, Williams was doing it in the third test.
If you get hammered and you get hurt, there's no issue with blokes staying down to get treatment, but when you start seeing the soccer/football antics entering into rugby alarm bells should be going off.
I clocked it when I watched the game in the pub on Saturday morning however it is more obvious when you see it again, I rewatched the game last night (instead of doing paperwork, DoH!!)

Liam Williams was collapsing like he had been blasted by a sawn off shot gun at close range to the solar plexus in a 'theatrical manner' whenever he had the opportunity.
It wasn't pleasant viewing and you have to wonder if he was under instruction; it was clearly a cynical option because it happened more than once.
When he had slight contact with Read at the aerial challenge in the non penalty situation near the end of the match, while still in the air, Williams was already lifting his left hand to his head (like a bloke with a serious hangover who has just had a whistle blown in his ear,) as he came back to earth and yet no contact had been made with his head.
He then lay on the ground like he had been hit by SBW with a no arms tackle, in a prone position to suggest he had been knocked out.
That kind of simulation has no place in rugby.
Frankly it's shameful to see a player of his calibre resorting to this kind of tactic and I would be keen to see cards given for this in the future to discourage this unedifying form of gamesmanship.

Last edited:
Irony overload considering the dive Barrett took in the second test

Barrett WAS contacted, long after the ball had departed. Mako Vunipola was on a mission to put himself about. He was carded if I recall...
Nobody is pointing the finger at Watson for simulating when he took a high illegal shot from SBW, because he wasn't simulating, he copped a hard hit and he didn't make any effort to make a meal of it.

Liam Williams behaviour in the third test was to starting look like he was the Hindenburg on it's slow crash to earth.
What next?
Actual tears?
His Mum coming onto the field to confront a prospective tackler with a handbag flourish.
Lawyers from 'Sue him while you're still in the Air Ltd' dashing on to get a signature from the unconscious player who miraculously reaches out a hand from his prone position to squiggle a signature"

This nonsense has just started to creep into the game in the last few years and it needs to be dealt with because if it is allowed to continue it's going to be a blight on the game.

It goes hand in hand with another bugbear of mine. Players interfering with referees and players demanding cards.

Both of the All Black half backs are prime candidates for retribution from the referee and it annoys me intensely to watch Aaron Smith and TJ Perenara for trying to incite the ref to their way of thinking.
Shouting at the referee is not acceptable.
Halfbacks are yappy, thats ok if they are giving it to their own forwards and verbally steering them (because often, forwards aren't very clever and they need a sheep dog to tell them where to be)

Shouting at the referee is a different act altogether.

They are both guilty of it and Perenara needs more than a censure, he needs a clip round the lug hole. He is outta line all too often. I hate watching him now because he's waaaay too gobby.
They should be smacked with a penalty straight away and if they continue then march them 10 yards for getting lippy.
If they continue after that then card them.
If they come back on to the field and continue that nonsense then cite them and stand them down for a game.
I have no problem with lippy players getting marched and then carded if they keep it up.
Shut up and play the game.
Only the captain should be able to approach the ref and ask a question.

Players holding their hands up enticing the ref to give a card.
That has to stop too.
Owen Farrell is a prime offender for this nonsense.
Players who do this should be cited after the game and if caught on camera be stood down for a game.
It would soon stamp it out.
The ref is the one to make the decision, not the players.
The ref will be getting enough assistance from the crowd and the officials, he doesn't need players holding up an imaginary card.

It's not about making the ref a dictator.
It's about showing the referee respect so he can get on with his job, regardless of how he is doing it.
Players can always urge their captain to ask a question... after that shut up and play the game.

Hardly the same, in fact Ratallick should have been yellow carded for even reacting to that!
not even a penalty? small things like that can alter a game... as I recall minutes later the lions got a penalty...

Sinckler arrested after night out. Prefer it not have happened, but sounds pretty minor and, on the pitch, I do like that he's up for a bit of scrap (or what passes for a scrap these days). You can't teach aggression and over time he'll channel it properly. Likewise Genge. A pre sanitised Hartley in the middle of those two would have made for a lively front row.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40566023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts