• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

That Drop Goal...

Originally posted by sanzar+Jul 16 2006, 09:15 PM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jul 16 2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sanzar@Jul 16 2006, 09:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Jul 16 2006, 07:03 PM
And this is why the moments of merit thread doesn't work. Miles off topic.

Not really. It's all still related to drop goals in a way. Most people just seem to think that other drop goals were more memorable.

Personally I didn't think it was Jonny's drop goal that was the most memorable thing about England's RWC win, for me it was their powerful forwards.

Fine, I also nominate Martin Johnson's 1 metre trundle just before the drop goal, which allowed Dawson to stand to and deliver the pass.
I'd vote for that. [/b]
What about the anti merit moment in that same game. Matt Rogers couldn't put the ball deep into England territory. When he kicked that pathetic touch finder I thought "...yep....thats the ball game now for sure. Matt rogers has just stuffed it up"

Matt Rogers is a legend :)

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Jul 16 2006, 08:33 PM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Jul 16 2006, 09:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite

Not really. It's all still related to drop goals in a way. Most people just seem to think that other drop goals were more memorable.

Personally I didn't think it was Jonny's drop goal that was the most memorable thing about England's RWC win, for me it was their powerful forwards.

Fine, I also nominate Martin Johnson's 1 metre trundle just before the drop goal, which allowed Dawson to stand to and deliver the pass.

I'd vote for that.
What about the anti merit moment in that same game. Matt Rogers couldn't put the ball deep into England territory. When he kicked that pathetic touch finder I thought "...yep....thats the ball game now for sure. Matt rogers has just stuffed it up"

Matt Rogers is a legend :) [/b]
Yeah, pretty much... If we'd had Latham there it may have been a different story. Then again, it may have gone to a penalty shoot out, in which case we'd have lost anyway.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jul 16 2006, 10:41 PM-->
Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Jul 16 2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by sanzar@Jul 16 2006, 09:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite

I'd vote for that.

Matt Rogers is a legend :)
Yeah, pretty much... If we'd had Latham there it may have been a different story. Then again, it may have gone to a penalty shoot out, in which case we'd have lost anyway. [/b]
Where have you been? England haven't allegedly won a shootout since the O.K Coral and even that was because they claimed Doc Holiday was pure English due to his dress sense. They would have more success with International shootouts if they were blindfolded! :lol:

We should all nominate which drop-goal we think was the best and then put it to the vote and whoever wins gets the moment of merit.

...And on a side note - as soon as I saw Rogers clear the ball I though uh-oh he has just handed the world cup to England. You could almost smell the drop-goal as soon as the ball went out.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 17 2006, 01:15 PM
We should all nominate which drop-goal we think was the best and then put it to the vote and whoever wins gets the moment of merit.

Yeah, good idea. I'd have the Wilkinson one, Larkham's huge effort in 99 and the South African one from the final of the 95 RWC (who kicked it again?)... I'm sure people can think of more.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jul 17 2006, 03:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Jul 17 2006, 01:15 PM

Yeah, good idea. I'd have the Wilkinson one, Larkham's huge effort in 99 and the South African one from the final of the 95 RWC (who kicked it again?)... I'm sure people can think of more. [/b]
Joel Stransky

I think Joel Strankys drop goal to win the 1995 World Cup was better.

Pressure - He had the hopes of the nation on him... Wilkinson had the hopes of a small group of fans and a bunch of bandwagoners. Stransky nailing that drop goal probably had a greater effect, helping the morale of Post-aparthied South Africa.

And the fatigue Jonny was facing I think was nothing compared to what Stransky had to face. England were dominating that game, if it wasn't for some clutch kicking by Flatey it wouldn't have got to that stage (I still don't know how England didn't cruise to victory in the 2003 Final instead of being pushed all the way they were). The 1995 World Cup Final on the other had the two most powerful Rugby nations on earth - both physically and historically smashing the **** out of each other.

No matter what you up North say about your so called superior competitions, no game I have ever seen matched the physical intensity of that game.
[/b]

Dead right. Nothing compares to that drop, or that game.

Jannie was awesome in that game! 100% ! He was great vs giant rats too!

Anyway, considering the importance, my vote goes to Joel!

i think stransky's and wilkinson's are both the most importants in rugby history : they made their country win their first wc so you could'nt say one is more important than the other ... unless you are a saf or england fan ...

wilkinson.trying not to sound too cheesy, wilko's dropkick was a culmination of years of hard work(i know u've heard that many times). stransky just got lucky

so its 2-2 ... go on saffas, england is coming back :)
btw i think that, as a symbol, stransky's drop aws much more important : they were playing at home after years of apartheid and it was some kind of outlet for them. something much more important than a single rugby wc, like usa playing iran in the soccer wc... if you see what i mean

Wtf has this go to do with Stransky?

It's my thread about Wilkinson's, not a vote as to whether Stransky's was better.

If you all cared so much then it would have a seperate thread as to why it was so great.

Latest posts