• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

That Drop Goal...

Jonny's goal gets my vote. It wasn't just that it was against their biggest rivals.

It wasn't just that it was revenge for the previous England-Australia final

It wasn't just the fact that the match had been amazing, and it finished it wondefully.

It wasn't just that it was about 4 years of English rugby coming together, after being so good for so long, summed up by the best player in the world dropping the goal after 100 or so minutes.

It was the best moment of English rugby so far, and was actually a well taken drop goal, on his right foot :p .

Jonny's goal gets my vote. It wasn't just that it was against their biggest rivals.

It wasn't just that it was revenge for the previous England-Australia final

It wasn't just the fact that the match had been amazing, and it finished it wondefully.

It wasn't just that it was about 4 years of English rugby coming together, after being so good for so long, summed up by the best player in the world dropping the goal after 100 or so minutes.

It was the best moment of English rugby so far, and was actually a well taken drop goal, on his right foot :p .
[/b]

Completely agree with all of those. The simple fact is, that England team's previous achievements would count for nothing now if they had fluffed that final. They peaked in November 2002, beating the AB's, The Wallabies and The Boks before securing a 6N Grand Slam and conquering New Zealand and Australia on their own soil. They then stuttered (frankly) through the World Cup and came out winners despite serious scares against Samoa and the Welsh.

The funny thing is, several team members have recalled that kick in the years since and have described it as an absolute shocker, bobbling and screwing all over the place in the air. But the simple fact is, it sailed through and 4 years of hard work and exhaustive hype was justified.

More than anything it was one hell of a relief!

Italy vs Scotland

Marcato DG, famus italian win?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p98dFXrPJhc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p98dFXrPJhc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thought I would get the ball rolling on the moments of merit.

My nomination, is THAT drop goal from Jonny Wilkinson which brought England the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

Factors which made the kick so special:

- The pressure. It's the dying moments of the biggest match in your career. Your actions could earn your team the greatest prize in your chosen sport. To slot it over as cooly as he did, especially having missed several others over the course of the match, shows a true mental toughness.

- The fatigue. The guy had played his heart out for 99 minutes in the highest intensity of test match rugby. To still have the physical and mental strength to keep going right to the end is some achievement.

- The foot. For a left footer to slot a match winning kick with his right is something truely special.

Video
[/b]
you're right but I also will include in my favourites wilkinson's drop the one against france in the rwc 2007

Latest posts