• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 2014/15 pre-season general news/discussion thread

Has Matthews really started to make the sort of impact Quins need?

Not sure I've seen that.

Don't know why they're trying to develop him into an enforcer. I always thought he was a more mobile skillfull, lineout caller ibm playing style throughout his youth.

Warburton and adam jones starting against Tigers can any blues fans tell me if this is a strong team:

1) Hobbs
2) Rees
3) Jones
4) Dicomidis
5) Paulo
6) Turnbull
7) Warburton
8) Vosawai
9) Williams
10) Patchell
11) Smith
12) Evans
13) Allen
14) Jenkins
15) Fish

Game live on Radio Leicester for those who may want to listen.

Warburton and adam jones starting against Tigers can any blues fans tell me if this is a strong team:

1) Hobbs
2) Rees
3) Jones
4) Dicomidis
5) Paulo
6) Turnbull
7) Warburton
8) Vosawai
9) Williams
10) Patchell
11) Smith
12) Evans
13) Allen
14) Jenkins
15) Fish

Game live on Radio Leicester for those who may want to listen.

As far as I am aware, they are playing a different team each half.

1st Half, this is close to the starting line up, missing Jarrad Hoeata, Gethin Jenkins and Alex Cuthbert. Its likely that R.Smith-Allen or Hewitt-Allen will start the season in centre, following Owain Williams' terrible injury. Missing a DOR all summer, we looked very disjointed against Exeter and you should expect a 15 point win.

burns sounding like a live wire tonight.

Barbieri scores the first try 7-0 Tigers
Youngs try after a beautiful break by Burns, Manu and Goneva (great handling) 12 -0 (con missed by burns)
Balmain got the better of Jones in the scrum (interesting as Balmain playing LH despite being considered a TH .
Blues try after superb break by Patchell try scored by Williams 12 - 5 (con missed by Patchell)
Patchell going for a 55M kick, 5 meters short.
Patchell Pen 12 - 8
Cardiff are playing well more controled than earlier. I think they should hold the subs for another 15 mins after HT as they are starting to work as a unit.
Patchell Pen 12 - 11
Mulipola swapped with Balmain at LH and is dominating Jones.
last play of the half, game has gone ragged.
Pen Leicester deliberate KO by Blues
end of the 1st half 12-11

Last edited:
burns sounding like a live wire tonight.

Barbieri scores the first try 7-0 Tigers
Youngs try after a beautiful break by Burns, Manu and Goneva (great handling) 12 -0 (con missed by burns)
Balmain got the better of Jones in the scrum (interesting as Balmain playing LH despite being considered a TH .
Blues try after superb break by Patchell try scored by Williams 12 - 5 (con missed by Patchell)
Patchell going for a 55M kick, 5 meters short.

Cheers for the update, Patchell looked tidy then?
Good to see Barbieri making a mark.early too, had a he'll of a season last year.

Changes for Leicester

Bristow -----> Balmain
Bai ---------> Allen

Cardiff not many changes 50/50 Patchell still on as is Warburton.
Drop goal Patchell 12-14

Half time in the Sarries v Bedford Blues game
14-3 To Sarries try from Fraser and Penalty try

50 min:Hankins and Streather tries inside 10mins makes it 26-3 Spencer converting
59 min:penalty Try from scrum 33-3
65 min:Whiteley Try 40-3
75 min:Streather Try 47-3

Last edited:
16,783 attendance for todays game.

Current score 12 - 14 (will have to wait for Blues subs don't know them that well).

Williams off Jones on
Smith off Watkins on
Patchell Pen 12 -17 Blues
Warburton off Navidi on.
Patchell off Humberstone on.
Burns pen 15 -17
Youngs off Mele on.
Ghilrandi off Briggs on.
Mulipola off Balmain on
Morris off Tait on
Pen from scrum for Tigers opts for line out.
Crane off Paul Grant on
Pen missed by Burns.
Good pen by Burns 18-17 messy game still.
Goneva off Smith on
Good touch finder by Humberstone
Pen Burns 21 -17
Full time 21-17
David Mele injured (looks winded)

Players that impressed:
Ghilrandi, Barbieri, Bai, Patchell.

Blues played a closed game looking for penalties, with the odd break from Patchell.

Last edited:
Is Watkins on the wing or in the centre? Have a feeling the Blues might consider him at 13 like they do with Smith

Good stuff, promising for the season. Anscombe could have his work cut out if he wants that 10 shirt
Anscombe looked better at fullback from what I saw of him for the a Chiefs. Considering the Blues options at fullback, I think that is more likely for the time being. Alternatively, Patchell could be inside centre to Allen's outside centre.

Is Watkins on the wing or in the centre? Have a feeling the Blues might consider him at 13 like they do with Smith

Bad idea unless he's better at centre than the last time I saw him play there. Best keep him wide.

Anscombe looked better at fullback from what I saw of him for the a Chiefs. Considering the Blues options at fullback, I think that is more likely for the time being. Alternatively, Patchell could be inside centre to Allen's outside centre.

Anscombe will play 15 for the Blues, and hopefully if he's good remove Liam Williams from the Wales squad.

Northampton saints lose to Dragons 27-25

full strength First XV
15 Ben FODEN
14 Ken PISI
13 George PISI
12 Luther BURRELL
11 George NORTH
10 Will HOOLEY
9 Lee DICKSON
1 Alex CORBISIERO
2 Dylan HARTLEY (capt)
3 Salesi MA'AFU
4 Courtney LAWES
5 Christian DAY
6 Calum CLARK
7 Tom WOOD
8 Samu MANOA

Replacements
Ross MCMILLAN, Alex WALLER, Gareth DENMAN, James CRAIG, Cam DOLAN, Teimana HARRISON, Jon FISHER*, Kahn FOTUALI'I, James WILSON, Dom WALDOUCK, Jamie ELLIOTT, Howard PACKMAN, Josh SKELCEY, Sam OLVER

Latest posts