• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The best full back

i'd also go for J. Robinson ... btw will he play the wc ?

and for all times blanco would be good [/b]

Billy Whizz will be at the world cup yes , well assuming brian ashton doesnt drop him... The group stages of this year tournament will be his last ever professional game

Of the current crop of internationals, I`d say probably Hernandez, slightly ahead of a fully fit Latham. If you look at all-time best fullbacks, from the amateur era look no further than JPR Williams- although Blanco, Villepreaux, Nepia, Don Clarke(can`t believe he hasn`t been mentioned yet- ultimate match winner of his generation) or HO De Villiers were also pretty great.

Best of the professional era? Christian Cullen, by a country mile gents.

Muliaina is by far the best Fullback in th world! [/b]
Why would that be? Explain yourself and someone might take this claim seriously.

However, with proof or an explanation, I may still laugh :p :bleh!:

<div class='quotemain'> Muliaina is by far the best Fullback in th world! [/b]
Why would that be? Explain yourself and someone might take this claim seriously.

However, with proof or an explanation, I may still laugh :p :bleh!:
[/b][/quote]

As I've said many a time, Mils isn't in the top 3... If Reihana hadn't headded north after the 99 WC, he wouldn't be playing more then the occasional Jr ABs or Maori game.

He's never dipped since then, even though he was only training once a week and still carrying the injury, after returning from his ripped tendon this year he was still looking as sharp and quicker then anyone even 10 years his junior.

Mils can thank his lucky stars Bruce didn't head back to Wikato 2 years ago; Smith specifically called him to return home as he was desperate to include him into the ABs set up.

He's never dipped since then, even though he was only training once a week and still carrying the injury, after returning from his ripped tendon this year he was still looking as sharp and quicker then anyone even 10 years his junior.

Mils can thank his lucky stars Bruce didn't head back to Wikato 2 years ago; Smith specifically called him to return home as he was desperate to include him into the ABs set up. [/b]

Even when Reihana was in his best form in New Zealand he struggled to make the All Blacks squad, let alone the starting lineup...He played in total two games for the All Blacks.... Unless he has got substantially better since he left New Zealand (which may be the case, as I have not seen him play more than a couple of games in 5 years) he is nowhere near the same level as Muliana.

I'd rate Muliana and Latham as the best two fullbacks at the moment - Mils because he seldom makes a mistake, is a outstanding passer, is a good at counterattack (he is fast, and deceptively strong), has a solid kicking game, and is defensively very strong. Latham I rate because of his strong running, his solidness under the highball and in defense, and his huuuuggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeee boot.

I haven't seen much of Hernandez, but will have to watch him closely at the world cup (if he actually plays at fullback, as he may be playing at first-five)

I would have to disagree somewhat with those proposing Hernadez as the worlds best.

Test matches are still the highest level of competition in rugby, and Hernadez is certainly not as performed as either Latham or Muliaina.

There are reels of film of these other two performing at domestic level, like Hernadez. But Hernandez hasn't achieved anywhere near as much at test level, like Latham and Muliaina.

And while Latham is very adept at Fullback he does lack the versatility of Hernadez (FH,CE) and Muliaina (WG,CE). So, as a rounded player he doesn't offer as much in the current rotational rugby climate, where versatility is becoming an increasingly valuable asset.

My personal pick would currently be Muliaina.
If I was to pick a CURRENT world XV he would wear No15.
Latham hasn't played enough rugby lately and Hernadez is not as proven (in my eyes) at the top level.

Here are some stats for Muliaina, he has had a very illustrious career for a guy who's only just turned 27.

• Started at centre for champions Auckland in the 2005 Air New Zealand NPC Division One semifinal and final. Played in No 13 twice for the Chiefs in 2006.

• His 34 consecutive Test matches from debut through to the 2005 Test against Ireland in Dublin is the 12th-longest streak in All Blacks history.

• Just one of two players to have scored four tries in a Test match and four tries in a Rebel Sport Super 12/14 match.

• Was equal-top try-scorer at the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

• Won a Commonwealth Games gold medal with the New Zealand Sevens team in Manchester in 2002

• Won a gold medal with the New Zealand IRB Under 21 World Championships in both 2000 and 2001 and the IRB Under 19 World Championship in 1999.

Those are some rather nice achievements. A world cup winners medal is something he doesn't have though (Latham x 2).

Latham currently stands as the 2nd highest try scorer (behind David Campese) in Wallaby history with 31 international tries (155 points), as of June 2006.

He has also won the Australian Super 12 Player of the Year award 3 times (2000, 2003 and 2004) and was the Wallaibies player of the year 2006.

Latham is now nearly 32 and is in his twilight.

Hernadez may be the top full back in France, but he may not yet be at his best. And in future years may be a more credible contender for No.1 Fullback in the world. But not at this time.

Chris Latham = 72 Test Caps (175 points, 35 tries)
Malili Muliaina = 52 Test Caps (75 points, 15 tries)
J M Hernadez = 21 Test Caps (25 points, 5 tries)

Chris Latham = 90 Super Caps QLD (196 points, 38 tries, 1 pen, 1 DG)
Malili Muliaina = 61 Super 14 Caps (102 points, 20 tries, 1 con)
J M Hernadez = Any french help here? Only info available is arrival year (2003)

Summary:

Latham WAS the best
Muliaina IS the best
Hernandez YET TO BE the best

<div class='quotemain'> He's never dipped since then, even though he was only training once a week and still carrying the injury, after returning from his ripped tendon this year he was still looking as sharp and quicker then anyone even 10 years his junior.

Mils can thank his lucky stars Bruce didn't head back to Wikato 2 years ago; Smith specifically called him to return home as he was desperate to include him into the ABs set up. [/b]

Even when Reihana was in his best form in New Zealand he struggled to make the All Blacks squad, let alone the starting lineup...He played in total two games for the All Blacks.... Unless he has got substantially better since he left New Zealand (which may be the case, as I have not seen him play more than a couple of games in 5 years) he is nowhere near the same level as Muliana.[/b][/quote]

That's the difference you see, I see Reihana every week and also see Mils most weeks on TV, so I can spot the difference! ;)

nah yeah mils would have been in the all blacks touring squad later that year (when he left, 2002?) he was the form back of the NPC (as it was known), along with regan king. He signed a overseas contract and was therefore not considered.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> He's never dipped since then, even though he was only training once a week and still carrying the injury, after returning from his ripped tendon this year he was still looking as sharp and quicker then anyone even 10 years his junior.

Even when Reihana was in his best form in New Zealand he struggled to make the All Blacks squad, let alone the starting lineup...He played in total two games for the All Blacks.... Unless he has got substantially better since he left New Zealand (which may be the case, as I have not seen him play more than a couple of games in 5 years) he is nowhere near the same level as Muliana.[/b][/quote]

That's the difference you see, I see Reihana every week and also see Mils most weeks on TV, so I can spot the difference! ;)
[/b][/quote]

True, however that Saint's eye-patch maybe affecting your sight slightly ;)

The problem with comparing guys from the NH and SH is that the game is so much different between the two.
They are also facing different oppo.

IMO mils and latham would be in the top 3 possibly with leon mcd
its hard to say which order because none of these three have had much game time in the last year.

Well, certainly Latham before the injury. I suppose if he's completely recovered, he's still the best.

latham is the best but getting old... i think best up and coming is dat young south african

Chris Latham = 90 Super Caps QLD (196 points, 38 tries, 1 pen, 1 DG)
Malili Muliaina = 61 Super 14 Caps (102 points, 20 tries, 1 con)
J M Hernadez = Any french help here? Only info available is arrival year (2003)[/b]

2003-2004

Top 8
8 Caps
25 Points (5 tries)

H-Cup
5 Caps
0 Points

Top 16
6 Caps
0 Points

2004-2005

Top 14
10 Caps
35 Points (4 tries, 3 pen, 3 conv)

H-Cup
4 Caps
7 Points (1 try, 1 con)

2005-2006

Top 14
19 Caps
83 points (2 tries, 12 pen, 11 con, 5 drop)

H-Cup
5 Caps
40 points (1 try, 6 pen, 7 con, 1 drop)

2006-2007

Top 14
18 Caps (French championship: 26
55 Points (3 tries, 8 pen, 2 drop, 5 con)

H-Cup
5 caps, 10 points (2 tries)

80 Caps = 255 Points

That's your opinion and i dont think Raihana was a threat to Mil's even when Raihana was in his prime...He's a better 7s player then he is @ 15s...I played with Bruce or "chopper" as we called him back then, in the junior Northern Regional teams

Latest posts