• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best kicker

LMFAO at anyone who put Wilkinson even in the top 10.
[/b]

in 07 he was decent
in 03 he ruined Argentinas chances of even advancing pool play by missing 4 or 5 penalties against Australia

in 07 he didnt "choke" but against france in the first game those last to Penalties to put the game away, he should have made

Paterson
Montgomery
Carter
O'Gara
Wilko

that was not the quote i meant to quote o_O
i Meant to quote the one on Felipe Contepomi

I would say Mossy, but then again i would say that! ;)

And on the subject of long-range efforts, Gavin Hastings sonverted a penalty from his own 10 metre line during the RWC 91 semi-final with England. Unfortunatly he then missed one infront of the posts and we lost 9-6! :(

from a drop and long range penalty, for sure Steyn.
as far as from mid range penalties, for sure Chrissy P.

The most tactical kicker is Arron Mauger
and Daniel Carter is the best goal kicker.
But Foxy and Jenkins are the two greats.

Mauger kicks like a girl - his idea of "tactical kicking" is to do a piddily 30 metre punt... except in close games, where he hoofs it into the stands... sadly when he outside the 22.

Mauger kicks like a girl - his idea of "tactical kicking" is to do a piddily 30 metre punt... except in close games, where he hoofs it into the stands... sadly when he outside the 22.
[/b]

But he's a tactical wizard Ripper, mercurial, sublime are the words which describe this legend we know as Mauger....yeah right. He's a joke, us Cantabs have been brainwashed into liking him.

David Holwell is really the best kicker.

Clearly this shows that kicking in Rugby has changed. In the past it was simple as, but now there are differences in who kicks what depending on how far out they are.

Top 5 in the world right now have to be:
1. Paterson- Simply incredible in the world cup and massively underated
2. Monty- Could kick from anywhere, both in hand and from the floor
3. Contemponi- consistent and thorough
4. Wilko- Not as he was in 2003, but still a quality kicker.
5. Carter- has gone quiet recently, but can still be a match winning kicker

Paterson's penalty kicking is great but I don't think his kicking from hand is good at all...?

Paterson's penalty kicking is great but I don't think his kicking from hand is good at all...?
[/b]

true, but at the same time Parks surely covers this area for Scotland. Its similar to what France do at the moment. Have one player in the squad who is solid in place kicking, and then another for when you need to clear your lines.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

true, but at the same time Parks surely covers this area for Scotland. Its similar to what France do at the moment. Have one player in the squad who is solid in place kicking, and then another for when you need to clear your lines.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that means that Scotland do not need to worry about Paterson's kicking from hand, but it means that Paterson can't be the best kicker as surely the subject should have good overall kicking, not just excel in one area.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that means that Scotland do not need to worry about Paterson's kicking from hand, but it means that Paterson can't be the best kicker as surely the subject should have good overall kicking, not just excel in one area.
[/b][/quote]

Bloody good point, obviously didn't think this through. Was going on the basis of place kicker (as I feel Paterson is the best in the world at this current time). Still have to stick with the Scot though, I just think that if anyone concedes a penalty in their own half against Scotland, then its likely to be three points on the board. Bit of a shame this isn't transferring to anywhere else in their game at the moment

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Bloody good point, obviously didn't think this through. Was going on the basis of place kicker (as I feel Paterson is the best in the world at this current time). Still have to stick with the Scot though, I just think that if anyone concedes a penalty in their own half against Scotland, then its likely to be three points on the board. Bit of a shame this isn't transferring to anywhere else in their game at the moment
[/b][/quote]

You raise a very good point here. Almost everytime an opponent concedes a penalty in their half they pay with points, which is a big psychological advantage in close games. Paterson isnt that good from hand but i would say goal kicking is much more important to his game as he doesnt often play at 10. Therefore get little practise at clearing to touch.

In terms of kicking in high pressure situations I'd say Wilkinson, but for all round consistency you would have to go with Patterson or Carter. Interesting to see noone has metioned Ronan O'Gara either.

Latest posts