• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best kicker

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to put down Paterson, I'm not lol, just trying to increase the thought process of this thread.

Put it this way, if you're looking for the best kicker, imagine:

- You're in a team
- You're a good team
- Except you've got no kickers at all
- The furthest anyone can kick is 9 metres
- No-one can drop-kick over a snail
- You need a kicker (who'd have thought?)

Who would you pick?
Paterson? or Carter? Montgomery? etc. ;)

Best kicker in the amateur era: Naas Botha. This guy won so many Currie Cup ***les with his boot.

Best kicker in the professional era (so far): Neil Jenkins

Paterson has highest percentage in the world. Has limited range so best in current rugby has to be Wilkinson or Montgomery (Carter has been off form)

Paterson has highest percentage in the world. Has limited range so best in current rugby has to be Wilkinson or Montgomery (Carter has been off form)
[/b]

err Wilkinson hasn't been off form? I can't watch any club rugby asld :rahh: kjas :ranting: gfl :wall: kj but from the world cup how can you say he was on form?

[/b]

Nope, Paterson has every bit as big a range as certainly Monty and close to Wilkinson. He just doesnt hit it too hard when he doesnt need to, when he does i have seen him land a fair few penalties from 45metres. His low trajectory isnt perhaps as spectacular as Hodgson's or Wilkinsons, but its bloody efficient.

when it counted and the pressure was on, monty proved he is the best with jonny coming in 2nd

would you want a kicker that gets a high percentage, or a kicker you can rely on to get them over when it really matters?

would you want a kicker that gets a high percentage, or a kicker you can rely on to get them over when it really matters?
[/b]

Is that a trick question?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Is that a trick question? [/b][/quote]
I was thinking the same as well Steve-o, beacuse regardless of the situation, a kicker with a higher percentage will kick the ball for points more frequently than the other...the name says it! "higher percentage". They will be the people who kick it over when it really counts anyway...

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Is that a trick question? [/b][/quote]
I was thinking the same as well Steve-o, beacuse regardless of the situation, a kicker with a higher percentage will kick the ball for points more frequently than the other...the name says it! "higher percentage". They will be the people who kick it over when it really counts anyway...
[/b][/quote]

Not neccessarily. For Leicester, Tim Stimpson didn't have that high a kicking percentage, and had some woeful matches with the boot. He once missed a conversion to tie a cup match with Richmond. We lost. But tigers never lost a match after that through his poor goal kicking. and he landed several difficult high pressure kicks, notably in HC knockout stages. similarly when Matt Dawson was kicking for England he wasn't great, but got the ones that mattered.

compare that sort of kicking with Hodgeson and Barkley in the 6N a couple of seasons ago when they threw the match v France.

Latest posts