17. Moody

18. Franks

19. Retallick

20. Hooper

21. Genia

22. C smith

23. K Beale

Coach Cheika

A couple changes. Switch in mid-field. Nonu definately at 12 with Kuridrani at 13. I can't fault the AB locks so have them both starting as well. Also cant go past Barrett and SBW on the bench. They have been epic for the ABs all tournament and would start in every other team in the world!

Also as much as Chieka has done a great job with the Ozzies (and would obivoulsy win the most improved award), Hansen has a far better record over a longer time, so hands down he would be my coach!

15: Ben Smith
14: Adam Ashley-Cooper
13: Tevita Kuridrani
12: Ma'a Nonu
11: Julian Savea
10: Dan Carter
9: Aaron Smith
8: David Pocock
7: Richie McCaw
6: Scott Fardy
5: Sam Whitelock
4: Brodie Retallick
3: Sekope Kepu
2: Dane Coles
1: Scott Sio

16. Stephen Moore
17. Joe Moody
18. Owen Franks
19. Kane Douglas
20. Michael Hooper
21. Will Genia
22. SBW
23. Beauden Barrett

Coach Steve Hansen

Can't disagree too much with either list, but on coaches - I think it's hard to say Hansen is a better coach. He took over from a master coach in Graham Henry who had already put everything in place for him.

Question is, could Hansen have come to Australia and been as successful with the Wallabies? Could he have coached perennial under performers like Leinster and the Waratahs to championships in the biggest tournaments in their hemispheres? I'm not so sure he's been proven to that degree...

To take a Rugby League analogy, Chris Anderson coached the Kangaroos to an unbeaten Ashes tour of England in 2003 and has an unblemished record at that level, but then he had Lockyer, Fitler and Johns basically running the team for him, and when he went back to club land and didn't have that, his record wasn't so crash hot.

Last edited:
Not to be too much of a d*ck, not sure I'd take any Australian for my starting XV. Kepu and Sio - and possibly Pocock in over McCaw these days. Otherwise man for many I honestly think we have the better team..

Can't disagree too much with either list, but on coaches - I think it's hard to say Hansen is a better coach. He took over from a master coach in Graham Henry who had already put everything in place for him.

Question is, could Hansen have come to Australia and been as successful with the Wallabies? Could he have coached perennial under performers like Leinster and the Waratahs to championships in the biggest tournaments in their hemispheres? I'm not so sure he's been proven to that degree...

Not really a fair argument. Savea, Retallick, Ben Smith, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Coles, Moody, Cane, Barrett, Fekitoa etc, etc, etc are all almost entirely Hasen's products. It's also not quite fair considering Hansen had a role in developing all the players with Henry's team as assistant coach.

I also don't think asking 'would Hansen have done better for Australia' is entirely fair either. Lot's of good coaches couldn't fix what was wrong with Australia - it seems Cheika hasn't had to deal with the same BS from both players and the ARU as his last two predecessors did. I don't think Cheika would be the right fit for the All Blacks - I doubt he'd have the same win record with them Hansen has.

Either way - whoever wins this match surely will go down as the best coach of the year.

Last edited:
Not to be too much of a d*ck, not sure I'd take any Australian for my starting XV. Kepu and Sio - and possibly Pocock in over McCaw these days. Otherwise man for many I honestly think we have the better team..

Depends how u r picking I guess. I was trying to be a little diplomatic, but more so I was trying to pick on form. WIth that in mind I think there is an argument to take Kuridrani over Smith but definately Pocock over Read. As for the props, who knows really, I find it tough to analyse those guys, so I went the diplomatic route ;) AAC I think is a really good all round player and given NMS has been a little patchy at times and hasnt played a heap of minutes I think AAC deserves a spot!

Not really a fair argument. Savea, Retallick, Ben Smith, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Coles, Moody, Cane, Barrett, Fekitoa etc, etc, etc are all almost entirely Hasen's products. It's also not quite fair considering Hansen had a role in developing all the players with Henry's team as assistant coach.

I also don't think asking 'would Hansen have done better for Australia' is entirely fair either. Lot's of good coaches couldn't fix what was wrong with Australia - it seems Cheika hasn't had to deal with the same BS from both players and the ARU as his last two predecessors did. I don't think Cheika would be the right fit for the All Blacks - I doubt he'd have the same win record with them Hansen has.

Either way - whoever wins this match surely will go down as the best coach of the year.

Mate, it's not that Cheika "hasn't had to deal with the same level of BS" it's that he actively put a tonne of conditions on how much control he'd have in order to accept the role. He has changed the culture of the place inside and out and has a proven track record of taking under-performers to peak performers.

Hansen obviously isn't a bad coach, but I am hesitant to give too much credit to guys who come in and take over when all the structures of success are already in place. Wayne Bennett is a guy that has proven he can do it literally anywhere in Rugby League - heck, he was apparently the puppet master for the Kiwis in the 2008 RLWC Final. But Hansen hasn't done that yet. He's just taken over a wildly successful side and they've continued to be wildly successful. To my mind, that makes his success less impressive than Cheika's.

Who knows I guess, but for me that's not the relevant question. The question is: who is the best coach? For me the answer has to be Hansen simply because of his record!

Who knows I guess, but for me that's not the relevant question. The question is: who is the best coach? For me the answer has to be Hansen simply because of his record!

Hansen has the best record, but that doesn't actually make him the best coach. What is a coach after all? A coach is an organiser, motivator and tactician. Hansen has successful built off the incredible success of Henry and continued it, but then Chris Anderson coached the Kangaroos to a clean sweep, but was a sh#t house coach when he didn't have a catalogue of stars and systems already in place.

My point is that Cheika has done all this at the Wallabies virtually from scratch and with a team that most didn't think would make it out of the pool, while Hansen took control of the most successful team in history and helped them continue to be successful.

If he'd gone to Ireland and coached them to a World Cup final, then I'd definitely back him, but with the All Blacks it just feels less impressive...

15: Matt Burke
14: Jonah Lomu
13: Tana Umaga
12: Tim Horan
11: David Campese
9: George Gregan
8: Toutai Kefu
6: help out not really sure ( Collins, Kaino, Elsom, Finnigan, Jones?)
5: John Eales
4: Reuben Thorne
3: Olo Brown
2: Phil Kearns/ Sean Fitzpatrick?
1: Tony Woodcock

Wayne Bennett is a guy that has proven he can do it literally anywhere in Rugby League - .

**Cough,new castle cough**

- - - Updated - - -

Phil Kearns lol

And your 15 that's a funny way of spelling Christian Cullen:D
Edit: I have no idea why Reuben thorns name is mentioned..
And Zinzan>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kefu

Last edited:
Hansen has the best record, but that doesn't actually make him the best coach. What is a coach after all? A coach is an organiser, motivator and tactician. Hansen has successful built off the incredible success of Henry and continued it, but then Chris Anderson coached the Kangaroos to a clean sweep, but was a sh#t house coach when he didn't have a catalogue of stars and systems already in place.

My point is that Cheika has done all this at the Wallabies virtually from scratch and with a team that most didn't think would make it out of the pool, while Hansen took control of the most successful team in history and helped them continue to be successful.

If he'd gone to Ireland and coached them to a World Cup final, then I'd definitely back him, but with the All Blacks it just feels less impressive...

The Kiwis v Kangaroos? Kiwis win all of a sudden within a short period of time and we all have 3 hail Mary's, who's better....Kearny or ??????

Back to rugby, it comes down to this final who's going to be the best coach.

Hansen was/is part of the AB machine momentum whereas Cheika wasn't (Deans/McKenzie)

On paper it's Hansen, do you remember when McKenzie won the S15? OZ have the RC......THAT'S IT, nothing more and nothing less untill maybe after the weekend....if Cheika and his crew win it then Cheika for coach of the year in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

The Kiwis v Kangaroos? Kiwis win all of a sudden within a short period of time and we all have 3 hail Mary's, who's better....Kearny or ??????

Back to rugby, it comes down to this final who's going to be the best coach.

Hansen was/is part of the AB machine momentum whereas Cheika wasn't (Deans/McKenzie)

On paper it's Hansen, do you remember when McKenzie won the S15? OZ have the RC......THAT'S IT, nothing more and nothing less untill maybe after the weekend....if Cheika and his crew win it then Cheika for coach of the year in my opinion.

Woopsy daisy, on the wrong thread

- - - Updated - - -

Ok here is my team and coach.

15: Ben Smith

14: Adam Ashley-Cooper

13: Ma'a Nonu

12: Matt Giteau

11: Julian Savea

9: Aaron Smith

8: David Pocock

6: Scott Fardy

5: Sam Whitelock

4: Kane Douglas

3: Sekope Kepu

2: Dane Coles

1: Scott Sio

16. Stephen Moore

17. Moody

18. Franks

19. Retallick

20. Hooper

21. Genia

22. C smith

23. K Beale

Coach Cheika

I've noticed you're front row are WB, I'd have to agree.......and it's been a surprise this year, would you put that down to your Argy influence on Ozzies forward front 3?

Yes it was also hard leaving out Simmons out of the team but for balance and having Coles as the hooker went with Whitelock to call the lineouts.

**Cough,new castle cough**

To be fair, he had to contend with players not being sure if they were gonna get paid up there. Hard to do your job when the club owner is hiding in Singapore and not paying his bills.

Yes it was also hard leaving out Simmons out of the team but for balance and having Coles as the hooker went with Whitelock to call the lineouts.

As in Gene Simmons from kiss my .......(I'm sure you'll figure it out) Joking

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks there mate, never have been a kiss fan, is he the one with the gianormous tongue? I am sure there is a few girls around here that would love it.

If we did this team today would any australians realistically get in??? Hard to say any would.
only possibilities would be :
1. Kepu
7. Hooper
13. Kerevi
11/13/14. Folau

In all honestly idk if I'd take any of them over the ABs options.

Last edited:
Counter rucking seems to be going out of fashion in the modern game in favour of offloading so Hooper and Pocock (where is he?) probably wouldn't make it. Folau hasn't done much this year from what I've seen so is mainly on past reputation.

Kerevi over ALB for me is close although I've not seen enough of Kerevi defensively to be confident.

Cheika over Hansen? Probably not but not totally laughable (even though one of them is an RWC winner)

Bloody hell I've mentally put Kerevi at 12 again, I will not die happy until I see him play there. At least I can blame it on sunstroke this time. :)

Pocock (where is he?
He took the year off for personal reasons. I can't remember the exact reason but it was something really bizzare... Like I think he went to Zimbabwe to explore jungle life or something like that... it was like some sort of spiritual thing (I think?). He's an interesting bloke that's for sure. Bloody incredible rugby player though. If he was still playing I'd have him ahead of Cane.

IMO:
15: Christian Cullen
14: David Campese
13: Bruce Ropertson
11: Jonah Lomu