• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Championship playoffs

I hope the RFU see some sense and change their ghastly system, I feel really sorry for Bristol and also Cornish Pirates who can't go up

Yeah i agree not only the teams are getting stronger but the teams like the pirates and blues are getting used to the must win knockout games at the end of the season and are learning how to play those type of matches and win them, so teams like bristol and nearly worcester like last year, are playing rugby like they did all season because they don't get many playoff games, coz we're always at the bottom of the premiership, but the pirates and blues know how to step these game up a notch because they've been in the play offs many times now, which makes the play offs that much harder, if that makes sense

Cornish Pirates are a damn good team, we have had good games against them whenever we have played them. Always very close encounters. They deserve to go up but can't so I hope the bureaucracy stops and they get that Cornwall Stadium. Only issue they now have is keeping their better players. Its already begun; http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/7754057/

I reckon the cornish pirates would give a lot of the premiership sides a run for there money, i mean some of worcesters best players are from the pirates (Blair Cowan AKA Mr Incredible), aespcially if they had drew locke and hopper in the centres.

So now, on the proviso that should they win they will go up apparently and they have the word "Welsh" in their name it's "Go Exiles"

Feel for Bristol because they have been the best team in the league and deserved finishing first and fall in this rubbish play off system.

For the glimer of hope that the Welsh have for promotion I really do hope they beat the Pirates to relegate Newcastle and then the season after one of either Bristol and Cornish Pirates get promoted.

Well done Pirates. 2 finals in successive years goes to show how the gap has closed between the leagues. Now let's get at least a game a week on tv and some corporate sponsorship to the league. So it can move forward. With a view to the premiership moving to 14 teams, with 2 up and 2 down each season.

Well done Pirates. 2 finals in successive years goes to show how the gap has closed between the leagues. Now let's get at least a game a week on tv and some corporate sponsorship to the league. So it can move forward. With a view to the premiership moving to 14 teams, with 2 up and 2 down each season.

The gap has been closed yes, but it's been done completely artificially by the salary cap. Were it to be removed, the big 8 (Leicester, Northampton, Saracens, Wasps, Harlequins, London Irish, Bath & Gloucester) would be absolutely miles out in front, and the bottom four clubs in the premiership would be a long way back, as would be the championship sides. You certainly wouldn't be looking at expanding the league if the cap weren't in place.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing btw. On one hand you get success stories like Exeter and (hopefully) London Welsh, but on the other hand you're seriously hampering the top sides when it comes to competing in Europe.

However you say that Exeter competed well in Europe. All be in the Amin cup. the salary cap is necessary and I wouldnt want it remove. Pro Rugby is still in its infant stages in England and needs to develop in the lower leagues before the salary cap could be increased or removed all together

However you say that Exeter competed well in Europe. All be in the Amin cup. the salary cap is necessary and I wouldnt want it remove. Pro Rugby is still in its infant stages in England and needs to develop in the lower leagues before the salary cap could be increased or removed all together

Well yeah, that's kind of what I mean. If it weren't for the salary cap I'd imagine that a good few more clubs would have gone the way of Richmond, but I'd imagine that Leicester would have a few more Heineken Cups.

Not all bad news. We get an away trip to Jersey, best start saving now :lol:

Harlequins issued the following statement today (14th May)

"Given the ongoing speculation in the media about the possibility of London Welsh using The Twickenham Stoop for the club's home fixtures should it secure promotion to the Aviva Premiership, Harlequins would like to confirm that there is no agreement between the clubs nor are any discussions currently taking place with London Welsh about such a possibility."

Thats a big suggestion for next season. Didn't L. Irish play there a bit before Reading? Bristol were rumoured to go there when firstly we hit financial trouble a few years back and then again when the planned Mem redevelopment was going to happen.

Have no idea, all I know it would be a massive upgrade from Old Deer Park.

Theyve played some old-style cup games there before. Not a bad stadium and not too far away from ODP

Theyve played some old-style cup games there before. Not a bad stadium and not too far away from ODP

Aye about an hour from ODP. I hope this noise ensures that everything falls into place for London Welsh.

Would they consider reworking ODP if they get promoted, down the line perhaps?

Nice, the third London XXX team which doesn't play in London.

This whole 10.000 capacity stipulation is a joke when teams like Wasps, Falcons and even Saracens are drawing - on average - a 5.000 crowd. Underhill Stadium in Barnet and Victoria Road in Dagenham would be perfect for London Welsh, sizewise anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would they consider reworking ODP if they get promoted, down the line perhaps?

I forget exact details but basically they're never going to get planning permission there.

As a Londoner, it's too far from ODP. It would class as an away game to me. They have zero chance of attracting me as a casual rugby fan, and I imagine a nigh-equally slim chance of attracting Welsh rugby fans from my neck of the woods. Any substantive crowd increase would rely on attracting locals in Oxfordshire, but Wasps have already heavily promoted themselves in that area anyway.

This has made me realise I want all 'London' clubs not in London relegated. I can sorta give LI and Pests a pass for producing good academy players just about barely, but should they come up, I want to see them go down so bad. C'mon the Pirates!

Latest posts