• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Churchill Cup

On todays offering, the Eagles would make short work of Canada IMO.

True,
I imagine they'd step up against USA though
16 - 16 now

Quality work by Canada for a try there!
Good conversion from a difficult angle,

23 - 19

Last edited:
Bloody hell, Canada lucky to get the penalty then, France pressuring a helluva lot, thought a try was on for certain

Much improved match now, France retook the lead with an 80m interception try, Canada just retook the lead with a penalty.

This second half has been brilliant,
France retake the lead, but Canada have just run a try in under the posts
England could learn alot about supporting the player making a break from the Canadians!

Canada wheel the french scrum 7m out! 2minutes left, bet France wish theyd gone for the corner now!
Canada 6points ahead, just need to run down the clock.
Cananda penalty! As long as this finds touch that should be it
63seconds on the clock at the lineout throw
Ah! Knockon! France scrum, last play of the match. France pass straight to a Canada player!

FT:
Canada 33 - 27 France
Brilliant second half, looking forward to Canada/USA

Last edited:
One of the best 40 minutes of rugby I've seen in a while, after the (frankly) naff 1st half, that was brilliant! Deserved win also, scoreline is a fair reflection of the game.

Ah, i think i misunderstood how the tournament works, so are Canada straight into the finals now?
I thought it was first from A (saxons) vs 2nd from B (france) then the winner plays the winner of Canada/USA, but wikipedia informs me that it's Uruguay/Russia final for the bowl, France A/USA for the Plate, Canada/Saxons for the Cup

Well, today Canada showed that hard work will beat talent if talent doesn't work hard.

While Canada has provided several upsets over the years, this is the best one since the famous defeat of Scotland in 2002. Very pleased with how the boys played today, especially in the second half when they usually fade against such class sides.

However, the scrum is still crap and expect the Saxons to exploit that every bit as much as France "A" did. Kleeberger is apparently being considered by sides in the GP and Top 14, and given the way he played today, he surely didn't hurt his chances of being picked up, he's too good to be playing in the RFU Championship. It's a shame we didn't have Tkachuk (Glasgow) and J. Cudmore (Clermont) in the line-up, but its hard to argue with the results.

Well done Canada!

When he's like that Abendanendadingdong is a very good attacking player. Sadly though, he's paper thin defensively and liable to panic under pressure. I reckon he's would still get shown up against any decent opposition instead of against some American part-timers.

This. Too many stupid moments for a back three player at the very top level I think.

And, unlike Goode, he's had plenty of time to iron them out...

On todays offering, the Eagles would make short work of Canada IMO.
I doubt it, we (Canada) always beat the USA when it matters - a case in point is last year's RWC qualifier in Edmonton. The US won the first game by a 12-6 margin but we demolished them in the second game 41-18. Our reward - we get to play the ABs in Wellington!

Well done Canada!
Absolutely - a great showing. I was worried that this was going to be like the game against Wales in the 2007 RWC when we were even at the end of the first half but then got destroyed in the second half. This is one of our greatest victories ever!

A horrible weekend for European rugby (except the Scots). SA destroys France, Ireland lose their discipline and give up a historical number of points against the ABs, England is able to scrum but can't do anything else against the Wallabies and then Canada beats France A.

And watching these four rugby games, interspersed by a few soccer games, shows how superior a game rugby is vs. soccer. The only soccer game that was evenly mildly entertaining was the Germany-Aus game.

Absolutely - a great showing. I was worried that this was going to be like the game against Wales in the 2007 RWC when we were even at the end of the first half but then got destroyed in the second half. This is one of our greatest victories ever!

A horrible weekend for European rugby (except the Scots). SA destroys France, Ireland lose their discipline and give up a historical number of points against the ABs, England is able to scrum but can't do anything else against the Wallabies and then Canada beats France A.

And watching these four rugby games, interspersed by a few soccer games, shows how superior a game rugby is vs. soccer. The only soccer game that was evenly mildly entertaining was the Germany-Aus game.

Certainly a darn good win, but it still ranks down there on my list of favourites...

1) Canada beats Wales 26-24 in Cardiff, 1993
2) Canada beats France 18-16, 1994
3) Losing to the AB'S 29-13 at the Quarterfinals of the 1991 WC
4) Canada beats Scotland 26-23 in 2002
5) Drawing Ireland 27-27, in 2000
6) Canada beats Argentina 22-15 in 2005

After those, this game might follow...certainly nowhere near those, or even the game against Wales at the 2007 World Cup for that matter. An impressive win, nevertheless.

Last edited:
I doubt it, we (Canada) always beat the USA when it matters - a case in point is last year's RWC qualifier in Edmonton. The US won the first game by a 12-6 margin but we demolished them in the second game 41-18. Our reward - we get to play the ABs in Wellington!

True that.

If recent history is any indication of Canucks/Eagles games...

July 11th 2009, vs USA (RWCQ), at Edmonton, W 41-18
July 4th 2009, vs USA (RWCQ), at Charleston, L 12-6
June 21st 2008, vs USA, (Churchill Cup), at Chicago, W 26-10
June 2nd 2007, vs USA, (Churchill Cup), at Twickenham, W 52-10
August 12th 2006, vs USA (RWCQ), at St. John's, W 56-7
June 17th 2006, vs USA, (Churchill Cup), at Edmonton, W 33-18

I'll take Canada ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts