• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Churchill Cup

Hey was Tiny! Did make me chuckle,,, Still thought the Saxons looked quite strong for the most part,, 1 or 2 daft mistakes but and ok run out

Lads would it not be a better format maybe if the combined this with the IRB nations cup and rotate venue between USA and Georgia/Romania

Saxons vs USA

15 Nick Abendanon
14 Ollie Smith
13 Anthony Allen
12 Brad Barritt
11 Tom Varndell
10 Alex Goode
9 Lee Dickson
1 Nick Wood
2 Andy ***terrell
3 Alex Corbiserio
4 James Hudson
5 George Skivington (C)
6 Kearnan Myall
7 Andy Saull
8 Luke Narraway

16 Tom Lindsay
17 Graham Kitchener
18 Duncan Bell
19 Tom Wood
20 Micky Young
21 Stephen Myler
22 Jon Clarke

Good team, Abandanon impressed me against Russie, admitedly they weren't as strong as most teams, but he still played well, hopefully he can carry on the form/get Johnsons attention as only having two FBs on his England radar isn't enough (learnt that in the AIs) - i think he'd be better than Armitage out there

Revenge for the football tonight :p
*now expects a 10-10 draw*

I'm predicting 5-5 with England somehow managing to score an own try, despite the obvious impossibilities that implies. Goode will also miss from directly in front of the posts no less than 6 times.

Saxons vs USA

15 Nick Abendanon
14 Ollie Smith
13 Anthony Allen - Should be in England 1sts
12 Brad Barritt
11 Tom Varndell
10 Alex Goode - Should be in England 1sts
9 Lee Dickson
1 Nick Wood
2 Andy ***terrell
3 Alex Corbiserio
4 James Hudson
5 George Skivington (C)
6 Kearnan Myall
7 Andy Saull - Should be in Englands 1sts
8 Luke Narraway

16 Tom Lindsay
17 Graham Kitchener
18 Duncan Bell
19 Tom Wood
20 Micky Young
21 Stephen Myler
22 Jon Clarke

I havn't seem Ollie White play on an international level yet, so it'll be interesting to see if he's still got his form. The same goes for Varndell.

+ marked who should be in the England shirts.

good point but suppose must cost a lot to do it
but thats a good team out aswell
o'malley over cave? fair enough i thought cave would have at least been a sub in most peoples eyes
mabey we should orgonize it munsterman? just ring the guys up sure thed pay for there ownplane tickets :D

Lads would it not be a better format maybe if the combined this with the IRB nations cup and rotate venue between USA and Georgia/Romania

I would rather have Canada enter the Pacific Nations Cup. The Churchill Cup is fine, but it's kinda the same story every year. That being losing to the "A" sides, then have the usual showdown with the U.S. on finals day, which is usually a comfortable victory.

The Pacific Nations Cup would be more interesting and would probably challenge Canada a lot more. Also, the incentive to move up in the iRB rankings by playing full international tests is more appealing and probably better prepares the players for the World Cup. However, such a scenario could be difficult on travel (Canada travelling to any of the PNC countries is quite the flight) and is unlikely as the "A" sides need development too.

That's my ideal plan anyway... hopefully the Canucks can knock off France "A" today and make things interesting this year!

Last edited:
I'm predicting 5-5 with England somehow managing to score an own try, despite the obvious impossibilities that implies. Goode will also miss from directly in front of the posts no less than 6 times.

You are an optimist :)

Well he's almost right about Goodes kicking, sill 18-6 @ HT.

Turning into bit of a rout now, England 32-9 on the hour mark.

Of note. Alex Goode is a superb exciting runner, but a fecking awful fly half.

Now why can't the 1st XV play like that? We'd still probably not win the WC, but the group stage and 6N would be more fun to watch.

Abendanon is a cracking player, apart from that really long intercept he threw towards the end, he played very well. Deserved MOTM, should definately play for the main squad in the AIs

Can either him or Foden play wing? :p Dickson looked suitably terrier like, I'd have him over Care. Can't wait 'til next season, now that I have ESPN, I might get to see more of these guys.

Apparently Abendanon does,
a back line of Abendanon, Ashton and Foden would be quality, alas we'll never see it :(

When he's like that Abendanendadingdong is a very good attacking player. Sadly though, he's paper thin defensively and liable to panic under pressure. I reckon he's would still get shown up against any decent opposition instead of against some American part-timers.

Canada v France is 10-16 to the French at HT. Boring game though.

I hope Canada win, would like to see Saxons play them in the final (they'll play USA if they do, probably win then Saxons (presuming we beat France A) in the final)

Latest posts