• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The e-mail

Originally posted by jimmy44+Apr 22 2005, 10:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Apr 22 2005, 10:28 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
@Apr 22 2005, 04:37 PM
You can't know for sure whether honest toil will work or not....but you are at least trying jacko...and that is very honourable IMO.

Just make sure you head it as having "the wishes of 5,ooo rugby forum members and gamers contained within" or something similar....

make sure it will get attention....speak of rugby game boycott by all emebers and affiliates if changes are not introduced and requests included in the gameplay etc...including a possible letter to the fair trade commission for intentionally holding back improvements as a form of economic blackmail that runs into the millions..No action will be taken, again, IF changes are implemented - I think you get the idea.

Send it to more than just Andrew Wilson send it to HB studios, EA and anyone relevant. Send multiple times explaining that a promise to institute changes will result in the end of emailing!!!

You have done a good job Jacko and ANYONE with email addreses that are helpful or relevant should post them here....

come on!!
Los, however much I admire your enthusiasm, I don't think making threats will contribute anything to our cause.

EA has absolutely no legal, social or economic obligation to 'listen' to its customers and incorporate suggested changes into their computer games. It would be unwise of them not to do so, but there is nothing in the law which says they must - therefore trying to threaten them by approaching the Fair Trade Commission won't make the blindest bit of difference (which Fair Trade Commission do you mean? every country has one!)

For starters Fair Trade policies are about promoting ethical trade practices, focusing on business to business transactions, or the trade of goods across international borders. It has nothing to do with companies listening to their consumers - sadly! If you think about it EA arn't doing anything unethical or wrong by selling us a game which doesn't meet all our needs. We don't HAVE to buy it after all!

If you are a manufacturer being shafted by price rises in raw materials, predatory pricing, or unfair taxes, then you have some grounds to go to a Fair Trade Commission, because as a manufacturer you rely on these factors being 'fair' to survive - its a no choice situation, and effects your lively hood. The content of a computer game doesn't!

And a boycott? Don't make me laugh! Thats impossible, and if it did work all it would achieve is to starve EA of the funds needed to make future rugby games - so lets not be shooting ourselves in the foot!
<
[/b]
Yeah...my post was half serious, half taking the ****, all rolled into one..

<

Originally posted by Los Lover+Apr 23 2005, 01:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Apr 23 2005, 01:07 AM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Apr 22 2005, 10:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover
You can't know for sure whether honest toil will work or not....but you are at least trying jacko...and that is very honourable IMO.

Just make sure you head it as having "the wishes of 5,ooo rugby forum members and gamers contained within" or something similar....

make sure it will get attention....speak of rugby game boycott by all emebers and affiliates if changes are not introduced and requests included in the gameplay etc...including a possible letter to the fair trade commission for intentionally holding back improvements as a form of economic blackmail that runs into the millions..No action will be taken, again, IF changes are implemented - I think you get the idea.

Send it to more than just Andrew Wilson send it to HB studios, EA and anyone relevant. Send multiple times explaining that a promise to institute changes will result in the end of emailing!!!

You have done a good job Jacko and ANYONE with email addreses that are helpful or relevant should post them here....

come on!!

Los, however much I admire your enthusiasm, I don't think making threats will contribute anything to our cause.

EA has absolutely no legal, social or economic obligation to 'listen' to its customers and incorporate suggested changes into their computer games. It would be unwise of them not to do so, but there is nothing in the law which says they must - therefore trying to threaten them by approaching the Fair Trade Commission won't make the blindest bit of difference (which Fair Trade Commission do you mean? every country has one!)

For starters Fair Trade policies are about promoting ethical trade practices, focusing on business to business transactions, or the trade of goods across international borders. It has nothing to do with companies listening to their consumers - sadly! If you think about it EA arn't doing anything unethical or wrong by selling us a game which doesn't meet all our needs. We don't HAVE to buy it after all!

If you are a manufacturer being shafted by price rises in raw materials, predatory pricing, or unfair taxes, then you have some grounds to go to a Fair Trade Commission, because as a manufacturer you rely on these factors being 'fair' to survive - its a no choice situation, and effects your lively hood. The content of a computer game doesn't!

And a boycott? Don't make me laugh! Thats impossible, and if it did work all it would achieve is to starve EA of the funds needed to make future rugby games - so lets not be shooting ourselves in the foot!
<

<
[/b]
I'll get my coat....
<

Originally posted by jimmy44+Apr 23 2005, 03:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Apr 23 2005, 03:09 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Los Lover@Apr 23 2005, 01:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

come on!!

<

<
I'll get my coat....
<
[/b]
<

I don't know what either of us are talking about....

<

<
<

Originally posted by Los Lover+Apr 23 2005, 02:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Apr 23 2005, 02:28 AM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Apr 23 2005, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Los Lover@Apr 23 2005, 01:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Los Lover

come on!!

<

<

I'll get my coat....
<
<

I don't know what either of us are talking about....

<

<
<
[/b]
Sorry, its a UK joke! Have you heard of the Fast Show? It was one of the comedy sketches on that.

Anyway I recon it might be a good idea to collect together all the best suggestions made on this forum, make a proper effort to find out the best contact at EA, and ping something over. I recon if the ideas are good enough they must take notice. The key is to only give them a few suggestions which are feasible. Say 10 key points. AI would be top of my list.

maybe I should do it but I don't have much time. Boring work!
<

r there any canadians out there interested in giving a letter to EA Canada and HB Studios. If so plz let me know your e-mail and i'll send the Supa Rugby concept to ya.

Originally posted by Jacko@Apr 21 2005, 08:13 PM
Just sent e-mail. I will continue to send one twice a week until i get a reply.
..or a notice that you've been added to his spam list.
<

Hey Jacko,

I have some major problems with some of your suggestions that you have listed but the two main ones are as follows:

"This year the commentators include Greg Martin and Phil Kearns and side line up dates is expertly taken to by Murray Mexted."

Greg Martin and Phil Kearns are the worst commentators to have ever called a game of rugby or any other sporting event. Now I know as an Australian you will probably be offended by me saying this but they really are awful and anyone, and I mean anyone would be better then them. Mexted is okay but he is a bit of a dork although he knows his rugby.

"War Cries:
In Rugby 2005 the All Blacks perform the Haka before the match. This year war cries for the Maoris, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and the Pacific Islanders Rep side have also been included. These teams have voiced the war cry that they perform. The All Blacks eligible to lead the Haka have given their voice to that position as well."

You are not the only person who doesn't know how to correctly spell the name of NZ's native people so I am not attacking you but rather trying to teach you how to do something correctly so you do not look ignorant.

Try spelling it like this - Maori! Leave the "s" off the word and you will be fine. Even when you are saying "Look at all the Maori that play rugby today."

I think that having the Haka in the game is okay but really I watched it a couple of times and now just click past it. I would rather that they leave it out and put something else in the game instead like a decent player and team creation editor like you suggested or classic teams. Maybe they could add the Haka in a special unlockable section of the game.

But good luck trying to get EA to add stuff into the game - I mean lets face it our only hope is that another games company decides to make a rugby game - maybe someone like Sidhe.

Originally posted by BigTen@May 3 2005, 01:35 AM
Try spelling it like this - Maori! Leave the "s" off the word and you will be fine. Even when you are saying "Look at all the Maori that play rugby today."
Actually, he didn't sound ignorant. I'd say 95% of people, NZers as well, say Maoris.

Actually u could sign on different commentators for different countries.

I don't care how many people say "Maori's" it is incorrect and now that if you continue to say it like that then it is ignorance.

But anyway back to the commentator issue - in the last two games I really don't think that the commentary adds a lot of value to the game. It always sounds really forced and after a few games it becomes repetitive and I normally turn the sound down and listen to music in the background.

I wonder if given the choice if people out there would sacrifice commentary in return for other options or better gameplay?

Anyway hopefully EA will continue to look at improving the game and in about three of four versions they will be realeasing something that we wanted for 2k5.

Marto and Kearns are the best commentators in the Super 12 hands down but they probably wouldn't be suited to the game. Just stick with British commentators, good ones though.

i reckon gordon bray was under-used in 2004 cos he only added boring one-liners about the role of the front row or something stupid like that. hes a very underated commentator and i reckon he'd be a good addition to 2006.

Originally posted by Wally@May 8 2005, 06:27 PM
Marto and Kearns are the best commentators in the Super 12 hands down but they probably wouldn't be suited to the game. Just stick with British commentators, good ones though.
they are good commentators, if you are an aussie, they don't like the new zealanders or the south african teams and its quite obvious from over here (in new zealand)

They might be good but i don't like them they arn't a "fair" combination. Not that i can think of a fair combination. I watched "free to air" rugby in the weekend for canterbury vs highlanders, those comentators suck ("hamish mckay, frank bunce, aj whetton") bunce and whetton where good at their game but they are just so boring. And the comentators on sky sport just don't like canterbury, unless they are playing an aussie or a south african team. which is weird
<

i am not a big fan of any comentators out there at the moment, murry mexted is boring and tries to hard
<
i'd go with british commentators brings a diff feel to the game

Oh Wally,

There is no way that Greg Martin and Phil Kearns are the best commentators in the Super 12. It is amazing how Australians think that they are when to be perfectly honest they are bordering on pathetic.

I'd prefer to listen to a South African commentator or Tony Johnson over them.

How can Australia have such good rugby league commentators and such pathetic rugby union commentators?

Originally posted by BigTen@May 9 2005, 06:55 PM
Oh Wally,

There is no way that Greg Martin and Phil Kearns are the best commentators in the Super 12. It is amazing how Australians think that they are when to be perfectly honest they are bordering on pathetic.

How can Australia have such good rugby league commentators and such pathetic rugby union commentators?
You're a minority mate. Most people enjoy listening to those two. Maybe I don't pick up on the biasm, but their comments are second to none. The Kiwis are insanely boring and the Yarpies are just too nice, they're not bad though.

Originally posted by BigTen@May 9 2005, 06:55 PM
Oh Wally,

Phil Kearns is good, Martin is pretty boring... but so are most Union commentators. League commentators in general are much more entertaining to listen to.

Originally posted by woosaah@May 9 2005, 03:26 PM
i'd go with british commentators brings a diff feel to the game
Oh god no! The pommies are the worst and most biased scummy commentators of the lot! I'd rather have them from anywhere but there!

Wally - you can not be serious when you say that I am in a minority when it comes to rating Greg Martin and Phil Kearns as crap commentators.

I expect a certain level of bias to come from commentators depending on where they are from but those two take it to dark and scary places.

My appreciation of rugby is such that I do not need commentators to create further excitement - all I need is to be supplied information on any in-match changes and generally what is happening on the field. Some background information about the players is also enjoyed especially on players that I do not know much about.

The New Zealanders and South Africans are very good at providing information whereas all the Australians want to do is have mini-orgasms about a standard cut-out pass by an Australian player that an average 13-year-old could do.

You want a wealth of useless information regarding a players schooling/hobbies no-one can beat Hugh Bladen
<

I personally like the the Welsh and Scothish commentators, they sound like they have great passion for the game and add a bit of humour....

Latest posts