The end is here

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/2690

12 years in the making, the spade is finally in the ground and work started on our beautiful new home this morning. We've got 2 home games left at Knowsley Road, with the possibility of a playoff game after that, maybe 2, but yesterday, the chairman made the announcement on the pitch, we were given leaflets, and above all, I went to pick my seat for the new stadium.

I was literally filling up as I signed up to my new location, which I won't even get until probably this time next year, as we're going on the road for a season. I can finally feel the magnitude of the move and it's started to hit me like a freight train.

End of an era, but the new stadium should be cracking, being purpose built and 100% Saints

One more game left, in the league anyway. I don't have any words for how much it's going to upset me.

Whats happening to Knowlsley? Is it being turned into houses or whatever.

It's a shame they couldn't wangle it so the last game was against wigan,
The satisfaction of giving them a kicking, as the last ever game, would be immense.

It's a shame they couldn't wangle it so the last game was against wigan,
The satisfaction of giving them a kicking, as the last ever game, would be immense.

To my eternal heartache, Wigan beat us in the last ever derby game at Knowsley Road on Good Friday. We take turns on Good Friday afternoons to play games, and this year was Saints' turn to be at home. I'm sure we could have switched it had we asked, as relations with Wigan are at an all time high following the removal of the cancerous Whelan, but the Good Friday game is always a big attendance, which means more cash and I can't fault the club.

There is still a way we can get them, but it would involve us finishing 2nd, beating Warrington at home and Wigan losing their home game so we get the club call. And I'd pick them as well. It's an enormous gamble picking them as they've undoubtedly been the best team this year, but it burns me up inside that they beat us on Good Friday, and I would love to set it straight by beating them in the semi final eliminator. It's not likely to happen though. It still burns them up that Tommy Martyn scored the last ever try at Central Park, but this hurts an awful lot more than that ever could.

Whats happening to Knowlsley? Is it being turned into houses or whatever.

:(

It is going to be modern houses.

Going to get one Dan?

If I can afford it I will, but I doubt I'll get a mortgage this side of 2050 thanks to that fascist Cameron.

Its a shame iconic grounds dissapear like that, I had to be told I was walking past the Dell in Southampton 'cos I just didnt recognise it for all the houses.

Housing is where all the money is mate - that's why old grounds get hoovered up.

With Central Park it upsets me to see it but at least you can say to people 'thats where Central Park was' but when there's houses there it can be hard to imagine anything significant was actually there.

Interestingly (read: If anyone cares), the Highbury redevelopment is nearly complete I read in one of the construction magazines this week.

I'll never forget where it is, but I can't deny that the thought of someone's bathroom being where I used to stand is rather upsetting.

I'll never forget where it is, but I can't deny that the thought of someone's bathroom being where I used to stand is rather upsetting.

Well, unless it's your bathtroom and it's you doing the urinating.

In all seriousness, it's always a shame to see an old sporting ground go, especially when there were so many happy moments experianced there.

Saints have one last match at Knowsley after progressing to the Semis

Is there a chance they could get Wigan? It's Saints choice isn't it, after finishing ahead of Leeds?
Hope so, would be a good send off (though in the grand scheme of things, going for the winner of Wolves/Giants would be the safer bet to get to the final)

Last edited:
We can pick Wigan. Unless Huddersfield win tonight, we're going to be left with the choice of Wigan or Warrington to pick. And I'd pick Wigan.

"Spartan's what is your profession?"

Surely that will be the war cry?

We ought not need a war cry. It should be unspoken for this game.

Doubt Saints would pick Wigan. Getting to the final should be more important to them than getting one over on Wigan.

http://integrated.imgecommerce.com/sthelens.htm

And so the great auction begins. If anyone wants to buy me the "Welcome to Knowsley Road" sign, feel free to do so - that'll fetch about a grand I reckon. The bulldozers move into Knowsley Road on the 2nd of January. I'll be having a drive up on New Years Eve for one last sit and one last dream.

Latest posts