• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Final!

I'm over the moon here, as I'm sure the entire South Africa is :bravo:

DId anyone think the French completely cocked up the web ellis cup ?
I'm not sure what they did but the bottom wasn't even on the top.

I'm over the moon here, as I'm sure the entire South Africa is :bravo:

DId anyone think the French completely cocked up the web ellis cup ?
I'm not sure what they did but the bottom wasn't even on the top.
[/b]
It has never been connected, they have to take off the stand to engrave the name in....I think it fell off last world cup too and from then on they didn't bother with the stand as much..

a question to anyone who went:

how was the transport?

i herd that the french metro system went on strike because the prime misnister said that they couldnt get their pention when they turn f***ING FIFTY YEARS OLD YOU BLOODY FRENCH ******* DOLL BLUDGERS. so im guessing that it was a bit of a struggle getting home with no public transport. yep - no busses, no trains, to trams....

oh...

hold on...

thats auckland 2011 nevermind guys.

Well done Boks, congratulations!!!

You deserved the victory, you've been by far the best!!!

See you all in 2011... hopefully Argentina will enter an official tournament before that year

It has never been connected, they have to take off the stand to engrave the name in....I think it fell off last world cup too and from then on they didn't bother with the stand as much.. [/b]

No I knew that, I'm wondering why they didn't fix it before the ceremony of handing over the trophy to the captain, I'm sure sarkozy probably wasn't too happy handing over a bottemless cup.

It's not important I know, you would just think that with a world cup final they would get the ceremony right :p

Fair enough, it wasn't a try. Just thought I'd argue a bit more though.

The try, if converted, would have given England 7 more points. This would have resulted in a final score of 15-13.
[/b]

And we all know what happens when England are 2 points down in the last 10 minutes, eh?

<div class='quotemain'>
The try, if converted, would have given England 7 more points. This would have resulted in a final score of 15-13.
[/b]

And we all know what happens when England are 2 points down in the last 10 minutes, eh? [/b][/quote]

Jonny fails more desperate drop goal attempts? The result would actually have been 15-10. England wouldn't have gotten a penalty if they scored the try.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

And we all know what happens when England are 2 points down in the last 10 minutes, eh?
[/b][/quote]

Jonny misses a dropgoal and Steyn replies with a successful one? Heh, I'm just kidding :) Jonny Wilkinson is deadly in a situation like that, but I expected more from him last night. As I'm sure the English fans did. His penalty-kicking was spot-on though.

Well, the best team earned it in the end. Odds on some people will bleat until the All Blacks stop choking about the "try or no try", and quite frankly those people can go f*** themselves, but the simple fact is the Bok took the opportunities when they were presented to them and congratulations for that. I'll ignore all the Welsh/Irish/Kiwi/Convict arseholes who will make the generic "hahahahaha f*** you england losers lolz" posts.

Still, for a team that was written off before they even started, getting to the final was a fine achievement for England. Win or lose I said before the game I'm proud of them and they didn't let me down... Even when 8 down with 2 minutes to go they didn't give up till the end.

Wasn't a "pretty" game, so I'll assume all the Australasian bleaters didn't watch it as it offended them or something, but it was a brutal, vicious, nastly, painful affair and propper rugby.

So well done Bokke, good effort England, thank you France for hosting a great tournament, thankyou Argentina for letting us all dare to believe and go f*** yourself to the bleaters.

What a fantastic thing the World Cup is.

Thank you for the congratulations folks! To those having a little snipe - there's nothing anyone can say today that will erase the intense feeling of pride I have. Everywhere I've gone so far this morning, there have been SA flags waving out of cars and from houses and shops.The atmosphere is carnival. Springbok shirts and colours are being worn wherever you look - by South Africans of all colours.
Every country wants to win this cup but can there be any other where the win has such wideranging implications beyond just rugby? The Rainbow Nation is united today. It feels good.

The Rainbow Nation is united today. It feels good.
[/b]

Indeed the best thing that ever succeeded in uniting this nation was good rugby. May the government not toss it all away now. But still, not even that will change the feeling of jubilation, joy and pride in the country.

Well done to SA - deserved winners. Great stuff from them. Congratulations.

It is strange how no-one has mentioned the lack of tries last night from the winners - I thought it was only England that were boring enough to win by kicking and having a good defence? Or is it the actual winning that now counts??? ......... thought so :)

Thank you for the congratulations folks! To those having a little snipe - there's nothing anyone can say today that will erase the intense feeling of pride I have. Everywhere I've gone so far this morning, there have been SA flags waving out of cars and from houses and shops.The atmosphere is carnival. Springbok shirts and colours are being worn wherever you look - by South Africans of all colours. [/b]

Even here in Malaysia, I've seen Chinese, Malays etc wearing Springbok jerseys last night and today. Also in a bookstore today I was at the rugby section and a local guy bought 6 rugby books off the shelf. The whole tournament and last night's final inspired his son to get into rugby!

The pub I was at yesterday afternoon was jammed fact with expats, locals, etc it was quite an event.

The pub I was at yesterday afternoon was jammed fact with expats, locals, etc it was quite an event.
[/b]

just got back from Paris. Great experience and the best team won on the day. Congratulations BOKS.
just one thing , can it please be somewhere cheaper next time? Oh I forgot its in New Zealand best rent a camper van(what a depressing thought). Sod it I think id rather pay £6 a pint.

A superb game, fought with passion and honour by both sides. I honestly cannot give an actual view on what may or may not have happened in the game due to myself, Webby, getoffmyland, Quintes, etc being very drunk but I can assure you all that)

- South Africa earned the cup, they poured all of their heart into that match and did not give an inch. It is an honour to have them as opponents!
- England did not discrace themselves either, they fought like lions and I am proud of them.
- Whatever had happened, now is not the time to blame whatever the ref may have done decision wise. The best teams learn how to adapt to how the ref is working the game. England didn't adapt and thus, they were penalised and gave away penalties and in turn, points.
-Whatever happened: rugby won in the end.

It was a close final and a well fought final. It was above all, a final which defied the cynics and pessimists who had either predicted a boring slog or a massive win for South Africa. This was truly South Africa's first big test of the World Cup and they passed it with flying colours.

The best team won on the night and for that I have nothing but sincere congratulations for the Springboks! See you next autumn or Summer chaps!

EDIT: What I did not like were the queue of various politicians like British PM Gordon Brown and SA President Thabo Mbeki lining up to milk the occassion. I wouldn't like any British PM, English, Scottish, Welsh or Ulsterman to 'jointly' lift the cup with the Home nation captain and so I felt uncomfortable with Mbeki lifting it with Smit.

EDIT: What I did not like were the queue of various politicians like British PM Gordon Brown and SA President Thabo Mbeki lining up to milk the occassion. I wouldn't like any British PM, English, Scottish, Welsh or Ulsterman to 'jointly' lift the cup with the Home nation captain and so I felt uncomfortable with Mbeki lifting it with Smit. [/b]

I can't comment on Gordon Brown (was quite surprised to see him there, but then he probably needs to gather as much support as possible from what I hear).
But having Mbeki there can only be a good thing for the game in SA, the problem is -certain- people have allready forgotten that Mandella was very pro merit and pro Springbok.

With the talk of these idiots trying to change the emblem again (which is basically one huge slap to Madibas face really), seeing our current president lift the cup and wear a -Springbok- blazer might stave them off for another few years, hopefully by then most of them will be dead and we can get some decent young openminded people working in South African rugby.

what's that ?
We won the World cup you say ?
and we did it by using a system of merit instead of qouta ?
And the Springbok emblem really isn't an evil sinister sign of the former opressive regime ?

and cue

~*Bewildered look on what I imagine is this big group of ignorant ***** sitting around some boardroom table with drool coming out of their talk holes*~

EDIT: What I did not like were the queue of various politicians like British PM Gordon Brown and SA President Thabo Mbeki lining up to milk the occassion. I wouldn't like any British PM, English, Scottish, Welsh or Ulsterman to 'jointly' lift the cup with the Home nation captain and so I felt uncomfortable with Mbeki lifting it with Smit.
[/b]

I get that completely. And in the normal course of events I would agree wholeheartedly. The thing is, politicians in SA exert enormous pressure on rugby and paint it as racist due to the racial composition of the team (they do not, oddly, argue that the team hasn't been selected on merit). Springboks are so desperate to be accepted as patriots and prove that they aren't racist that the opportunity to share some love with The Prez and bask in his public approval made the behaviour inevitable.

Bear with us and our occasionally odd behaviour as we try and build our nation.

And well done England (very dignified and sportsmanlike reaction from their fans) Worthy opponents.

Latest posts