• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Final!

Don't really know what to say, other than an Aussie ref robbed us because the try England scored that wasn't, should have stood!!

Other than that, I'd have to say South Africa were the better side, England just weren't good enough, but put up a good fight.

Unlucky England :( ...but well done South Africa.

Don't really know what to say, other than an Aussie ref robbed us because the try England scored that wasn't, should have stood!!
[/b]
His foot touched the line, deal with it...

We should draw a line under this, and now look to the 6Nations. And not go on about what could have been, like the Kiwis. We put 100% in, thats all you can ask.

Well, they deserved it. Can't see why Cueto's try wasn't given, but these things happen.

I am ever so slightly disappointed by the television official and feel that had that try been allowed to stand, maybe, just maybe, things could have been different.

Having said that, it's difficult to deny that South Africa have been the best side of this World Cup and although we may not have seen much from the likes of Habana tonight, they have some absolutely outstanding individual players who have stood out. So congratulations to South Africa and we look forward to reclaiming our trophy in NZ in 2011!

Well, they deserved it. Can't see why Cueto's try wasn't given, but these things happen. [/b]

his foot clearly went over the line before the ball touched the ground.

anyway, the SAs deserved it... is this the first world cup final which didnt have a try? I surely didnt enjoy it, i think France VS Argentina 3rd and 4th place offs were much exciting... -.-

congratulations to the boks, good to see mandella still has so much respect from many in South Africa :)

Good luck to everyone in 4 years time :) IN NEWZEALAND

<div class='quotemain'> Well, they deserved it. Can't see why Cueto's try wasn't given, but these things happen. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it went over the line, but it was in the air.

congratulations springboks! you deserve it :D

good game from england, they were very tough indeed. great tournament by them. :bravo:

Well Done Boks, Keep it polished ready for 2011 ;)

The try should have stood but we cant change anything now, we got to a final much more then the AB's/Aussies/French/Irish/Welsh and so forth could ever have done and for that i am a proud man

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Well, they deserved it. Can't see why Cueto's try wasn't given, but these things happen. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it went over the line, but it was in the air. [/b][/quote]

No, it hit the line. The man was out, even Martin Johnson said it was out, oddly enough. That was a horrible game to watch. It was interesting to see how quickly Englands tactics had to change after SA dominated the lineouts. But that was about it.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it went over the line, but it was in the air. [/b][/quote]

His foot was touching the line before it started to rise in my opinion. As frustrated as I was when the try wasn't given, I can now see it wasn't a try.

I enjoyed that. Very intense, although not much tension in the end. And a great celebration afterward.

Steyn stood up well, beat Catt a couple of times, and took the final kick brilliantly. Catt kicked well, but England always needed a bit more fire in the midfield. Tait supplied that for a while - finally grew up - and Hipkiss and Flood did OK. Losing Robinson (again!) was sad, and Sackey did very well. Butch kept up his form, but Jonny will be down for missing the two drop goals and a missed touch that led to three SA points. The England backline needs to attack flat, with the odd chip over the rush defence.

In the forwards, the first scrum was massively toward England, but SA came on stronger and also were clever in the mauls - none of that Argentina lying on the floor. Burger was quiet, but Matfield was awesome. I liked the way Corry played, but he gave away a stupid penalty. In fact, the England forwards gave away three stupid penalties - one of them by Moody well spotted by the ref.

The biggest mystery was Richards coming on for Wuuuuuurzley: WTF! Can anyone explain it?

Ref had a good game. I'd have given the Cueto try, but the video nerd said otherwise.

Why did the England players keep ignoring Mbeki on the handshakes? Still, at least Habana and Pietersen lifted him in the air with the cup.

The one I felt sorry for was the little kid who burst in to tears: he knows France will never win the RWC.

Champion South Africa!

Well done to the Boks, they easily deserved it but I have to say I think the turning point came when Corry gave away that stupid penalty for hands in the ruck to make it 12-6.

First off congrats to SA...worthy winners of the cup...and they simply did enough to win

about the cueto incident...it clearly was NOT a try so as english fans lets not kid ourselves...his foot grazed the line b4 he touched the ball down and that is out according to the laws....on the other hand, i firmly believe lewsey would have finished that (maybe cueto should have tried to slide in), but as they say, it's a game of inches...hard luck to the boys and once again congrats to SA

Firstly very well done England, the guys played very well tonight.

I'm so proud of the Springboks and to be a South African. and Jake White you beaut, all the best bro

is this the first world cup final which didnt have a try? [/b]

No, it wasn't the first World Cup Final with no try. The other one was in 1995 - you know, the only one which featured two SH sides.

I ever so slightly annoyed. I don't see how it was fair to have an Irish ref aswell. Especially as the Irish don't like us english men.

This is my first post :)
[/b]

Your first post? Then welcome to the forum.

However, I disagree with your comment about the referee. Alain Roland is a very fine referee and Stuart Dickenson, the TV offcial is also a fine and fair man. The call on Cueto's 'try' was very close and extremely difficult (look at the time it took him) but if he says 'no try' then so be it.

Whilst I have no problem with the decision over Cueto's 'try' I have a question to ask the rest of you on this forum. I ask the question out of interest in the laws of the game and not out of any sense of injustice.

Was there not a case for a penalty try?

After all, the referee awarded a penalty and as a try was so nearly scored then why only give a penalty? The vital delay caused by Berger's infringement was the reason for the defender to put in a tackle on Cueto
so why not award a penalty try?

<div class='quotemain'>
I ever so slightly annoyed. I don't see how it was fair to have an Irish ref aswell. Especially as the Irish don't like us english men.

This is my first post :)
[/b]

Your first post? Then welcome to the forum.

However, I disagree with your comment about the referee. Alain Roland is a very fine referee and Stuart Dickenson, the TV offcial is also a fine and fair man. The call on Cueto's 'try' was very close and extremely difficult (look at the time it took him) but if he says 'no try' then so be it.

Whilst I have no problem with the decision over Cueto's 'try' I have a question to ask the rest of you on this forum. I ask the question out of interest in the laws of the game and not out of any sense of injustice.

Was there not a case for a penalty try?

After all, the referee awarded a penalty and as a try was so nearly scored then why only give a penalty? The vital delay caused by Berger's infringement was the reason for the defender to put in a tackle on Cueto
so why not award a penalty try? [/b][/quote]

you pose an interesting question but imo i don't think it would have been fair...i believe we infringed earlier on just b4 the end of the first half when SA were inches away from the line and the ref gave a warning and SA took 3 points...i think we lost fair an square and the ref made the rite decision to give a warning...however had gomersall passed to the rite instead of the left where all of the retreating SAs would have been offside then i think we would have scrored...alternatively if cueto had slid in, or josh lewsey was onthe wing then we also mite have scored; i was also thinkin we mite have gone for a lineout instead of kicking for the 3 points, but that would have been a brave and risky decision given the superb SA lineout...

Latest posts