• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The future of Super rugby

I think this is a better alternative to expanding the S14 to other countries. You should send this to SANZAR! Don't forget to add that it's TRF endorsed lol
[/b]
I sent you a PM with my revised proposal, tweaked to suit the needs of SANZAR. ;)

Australia
Division One
Perth, Brisbane, Canberra, Sydney, West Sydney, Gold Coast.

Division Two
Central Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart, Cairns, East Sydney(Maybe)

The Australian teams in the second division will probably be split down more to keep the NSW club tribalisms, which was the main complaint over the ARC. And the development teams could go into Division two as well.

Anyway, how does that sound? Integrates the provincial tournaments into Super rugby while keeping the tribal rivalries plus the relegation system adds a bit of romance and freshness each year to the competition. Also a cup competition should be added, much like the FA cup which will include all divisions, this is where the 'romance' comes in.
[/b]
Interesting idea BLR, but Hobart and Adelaide? I mean as much as I'd love to see rugby become Australia's no.1 sport, the market is still essentially limited and the player base already quite thin. It's going to take a long time to build a competative national competition to get the players to feed that many teams.

Nevertheless I quite like the idea and think that ontop of this it might be a good idea to bring in a Rugby League style State of Origin series prior to the tri nations. Pretty much all our players still come from either the Qld or NSW rugby systems, so it would be a great way to figure selection out and would also harden the players up a bit before the internationals (the one off NSW v Qld games, tough though they may be, still aren't anywhere near the level that the league Origin series exhibits). Obviously a few players who were brought up in canberra's rugby system might miss out, but not too many given the size of canberra's system. If it managed to be successful it'd pull a brilliant crowds and could prove to be a bit of a money spinner for the ARU.

Interesting idea BLR, but Hobart and Adelaide? I mean as much as I'd love to see rugby become Australia's no.1 sport, the market is still essentially limited and the player base already quite thin. It's going to take a long time to build a competative national competition to get the players to feed that many teams.
[/b]
The Australia system I vaguely described is by no means complete, preferably the eventual system would consist of the clubs in NSW and QLD being the teams in the competition. So Randwick would be one of the clubs for examples and for weak rugby areas the Australian Rugby Shield teams and a few players they could afford to buy would be used....or is the gap in the Australian Rugby Sheild and NSW and QLD rugby too large?

Keep in mind that in my proposal the best of NSW and QLD talent would be put into the four teams in the Super level of the game, with the rest split into the variety of club teams that are granted a place in Division two. (which would be a majority of the positions granted to NSW and QLD clubs) If a Adelaide and Hobart team could be drawn amongst the players in that whole state, I can't see why they couldn't compete with the division two sides who, most likely, wouldn't contain many top line players, besides young players on loan from the division one super sides perhaps....thoughts?

I thought of that State of Origin thing as well, it would really act as a huge money spinner for the ARU, much like the league variety...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The Australia system I vaguely described is by no means complete, preferably the eventual system would consist of the clubs in NSW and QLD being the teams in the competition. So Randwick would be one of the clubs for examples and for weak rugby areas the Australian Rugby Shield teams and a few players they could afford to buy would be used....or is the gap in the Australian Rugby Sheild and NSW and QLD rugby too large?

Keep in mind that in my proposal the best of NSW and QLD talent would be put into the four teams in the Super level of the game, with the rest split into the variety of club teams that are granted a place in Division two. (which would be a majority of the positions granted to NSW and QLD clubs) If a Adelaide and Hobart team could be drawn amongst the players in that whole state, I can't see why they couldn't compete with the division two sides who, most likely, wouldn't contain many top line players, besides young players on loan from the division one super sides perhaps....thoughts?

I thought of that State of Origin thing as well, it would really act as a huge money spinner for the ARU, much like the league variety... [/b][/quote]

Yeah, true it'd certainly be good for development having them in a competition like that. But the ARU needs to accept that it's going to make a bit of a loss for a while and just keep trying to expand grass-roots rugby in non-core areas while instituting it.

Yeah, true it'd certainly be good for development having them in a competition like that. But the ARU needs to accept that it's going to make a bit of a loss for a while and just keep trying to expand grass-roots rugby in non-core areas while instituting it.
[/b]
I think that if all three competition go in together with the same general plan then the ARU could ride off the success of the Curry Cup and NPC to get enough funding to make the division two viable, plus private funding of some of the teams with the ARU getting a certain 'licensing fee' each year, which would be a percentage of revenue perhaps would free the ARU of the liability of alot of the teams so that they can basically spend thier money on developing the lower level of the game, deepening the talent pool even more by investing in the grass roots...

Also another idea I added afterwards is if the SANZAR are really hell bent and/or pressured to add in Argentina, Japan and the PI's these teams could be added to division two, being based in the countries the provincial division is in. Although there would need to be a few splits in the countries so that they don't just have one team each and dominate division two. This would mean that thier amateur players could come up and play without the need to try to contract the players playing in Europe, they'll come eventually when they realise it is a viable tournament.

<div class='quotemain'>
I think this is a better alternative to expanding the S14 to other countries. You should send this to SANZAR! Don't forget to add that it's TRF endorsed lol
[/b]
I sent you a PM with my revised proposal, tweaked to suit the needs of SANZAR. ;)
[/b][/quote]
Got it. Just about everything's all good but I still added some suggestions B)

Attention all you Eastern Staters, how does this look like a break up feeding club rugby in NSW and QLD into Super rugby in the division format, keeping in mind logistics and rivalries that I am not aware of. A few of the teams from either state could be dropped to make up for any of the teams to split into to so that two rivals would not have to play in the same team.

The choices I made about who goes in what division is purely based on what results I saw from the last few years of club rugby. So tell me if some division two teams deserve to be in division one.

Division One
1. Perth
2. South Brisbane (South’s, Sunnybank, University)
3. Canberra
4. Sydney (Sydney University, Eastern Suburbs)
5. West Sydney (Parramatta, Penrith, West Harbour)
6. Gold Coast.

Division Two
1.Central Coast (Manly, Warringah, Newcastle, Central Coast)
2. Melbourne (Made up of the Australian Shield team)
3. Adelaide (Made up of the Australian Shield team)
4. Hobart (Made up of the Australian Shield team)
5. North Queensland (Made up of all the clubs north of Brisbane including Sunshine Coast)
6. North Sydney (Gordon, Northern Suburbs, Eastwood)
7. Country Queensland (Made up of the Australian Shield team and country clubs)
8. West Brisbane (West’s and surrounding clubs)
9. East Brisbane (East’s and surrounding clubs)
10. North Brisbane (Brothers, GPS, North’s)
11. South Sydney (Randwick and surrounding areas)
12. Country NSW (Made up of Australian shield team and country clubs)
13. Northern (or Southern) NSW (made up of the clubs in the North or south of the state.)
14. Darwin (Australian Shield team)

Latest posts