• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Metal Thread

You listened to the non-compressed to hell version of Fallujah?

Also, is there any way to get a good copy of GPro 4? I have 6, but it is fricking awful, particularly if you want to write drum parts. I've got a copy of 4, but it's a little, ahh, shaky.

I know it's very hard to find one, but I could get it maybe...

but guys is there a way to expose for free one's metal and have people actually listen to it ? I don't mean like tunecore and stuff like that, I mean like a YouTube ppl would go a lsn to what's new.

Top records of the year then, guys...

Disentomb - Misery
Kriegsmaschine - Enemy Of Man

Pretty disappointing for me tbh, although if I'm honest I haven't exactly been keeping my ear to the ground so I'm sure there are at least a small number of records that have completely passed me by.
Only now that I'm typing this have I realised that Blut Aus Nord had released something this year, for example.

Quite enjoying new Bloodbath - like, I knew it'd be fun, but I'm feeling more positive about it than neutral. Didn't like the vocals at first, but they've grown on me. I don't think they'll top Peter Tägtgren mind.

This year's been a bit odd - lots of decent albums, but I haven't been totally blown away by much. Favourites have been:

Conan - Blood Eagle
Darkspace - III I
Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend
Saor - Aura
Behemoth - The Satanist

Oh, also Horsehunter from Melbourne:

I find a lot of doom/stoner bands can be a bit samey, but these guys really do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very much how I feel.

Might check out that Conan record... seen it recommended by a few people.

Conan are a lot of fun - I've seen them live 3 times this year. Absolutely no subtlety whatsoever, haha. Some might think it's a bit repetitive, but there's enough interesting stuff going on in the rhythm section for me. They've changed their drummer as of a couple of months ago, so will have to see where that takes them.

Recommendations for someone who enjoys bands like Alcest/Agalloch? Metal, but on the more mellow side of it. Metal you can fall asleep listening to if you wanted.

Recommendations for someone who enjoys bands like Alcest/Agalloch? Metal, but on the more mellow side of it. Metal you can fall asleep listening to if you wanted.

I find Isis' 'In the Absence of Truth' pretty soporific, there's something about the atmosphere in it - some great tracks but I tend to fall asleep after Dulcinea, haha.

Depends on your definition of mellow...like the overall composition of Gris' work is stunningly beautiful at times, but it's also devastating. And that's before you read the lyrics.

I feel like their last album was pretty much written for me.

So found this little gem and falling in love with it

Top albums of the year - I thought this was a pretty good year for metal, but then tastes will vary. I loved the new AtG and Primordial. My big discoveries of the year were Darkest Era (Severance), Wild Throne (their Blood Maker EP was insanely good imo) and Panopticon (Roads to the North). Those, plus Pallbearer, Tombs and a few other bits and pieces were in my top ten. Conan's Blood Eagle made it... btw, Muse, you listened Of Spire and Throne? In the same sorta ball park.

J'nuh - I'll second Gris, and add Sombre Forets. The big one for me in this genre though is Solstafir, who can manage to be stunningly pretty and atmospheric in that heavy way.

Plus, not really metal, but Jesu are very much in the same sort of area of soft but harsh atmospheric music.

Latest posts