• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Scream - the 2022 version. Why did they bother? Bad tribute to Wes Craven.

Horror films are cheap to make and easy to get money from. A big name franchise like that made it too tempting I guess.

Totally Killer, on Amazon Prime

Surprisingly good/fun - it's like a mixture of Hot Tub Time Machine and Scream

The Mercy. Didn't know about the story of Donald Crowhurst who entered into the ST competition to become the first/fastest man to solo circumnavigate the globe in his own custom made Triamaran.

...i hope they go for low hanging fruit and just make a movie of one of the games rather than a new story
BotW or OoT give them the option of an easy sequel
Wind Waker is probably the easiest to adapt.

Wind Waker is probably the easiest to adapt.
still the only Zelda i havent played! got a PS2 for that generation....dont know why i didnt get it on the wii but it hasnt had remasters for any subsequent console like lots of others

Ive bought OoT and MM on at least three different consoles/handhelds

even WW has two easy sequels so could work

would never happen as would take a huge leap of faith but using a "zelda template" you could make one game plot into 3 films

1) intro and 1st temple
2) 2nd and 3rd temple
3) 4th temple and boss fight

Parasite. Gets better after multiple viewings. Not only a great dark comedy/ thriller, but also how it is shot, the symbolism, the social commentary on capitalist society and social mobility not only in Korean society but also applicable to other western Capitalist societies.

I hope they don't try and remake it into an American version though. But it is probably inevitable to appeal to peeps who don't like Watching films with subtitles. Maybe it would get appreciated more like the Girl with the dragoon tattoo and The Departed.

I like how it took South Park to openly be critical of Disney for the flood gates to burst. Many have been saying for years their output has been bad and damaged the franchises they own. In the past when someone was critical of disney, many would defend them and assume the complaint must have been from someone against women etc. The writing has been woeful for a while now.

I like how it took South Park to openly be critical of Disney for the flood gates to burst. Many have been saying for years their output has been bad and damaged the franchises they own. In the past when someone was critical of disney, many would defend them and assume the complaint must have been from someone against women etc.
Really? I must of missed that entire zeitgeist.

I don't really watch core Disney films but whilst the last couple of films have not been steallar they were on a run of
The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet

People have been *****ing about Marvel since Endgame which had some consistency problems since but still had some pretty damn good films and the TV shows are a bit hit and miss.
Pixar are more a mixed bag than they once were but Soul and Turning Red were highly acclaimed (I didn't watch Turning Red yet but I loved Soul)
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker was a mess but Force Awakens and Last Jedi are good films. As was Rogue One, people have generally like the animated shows Obi-Wan and Boba Fett was weak. Andor was stunning.

I'm probably less tied into Fix's output

I'd say Disney have been on par if not better than most other studios.

South Park on the other hand has been reaction bullshit nonsense since birth with occasional salient points.

Oh yeah, it's been going on for a while now. I'm not much of a superhero fan, but since endgame they've been a mess. Not sure how anyone can not seen it tbh. Their output has been pretty poor for a long time even on disney +, but it's only just started to hit them in the pocket I think.

The last few films have not made them money. Don't think they've had a hit in a while now.

Agree on south park. It can have a funny moment at times but that's it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it's been going on for a while now. I'm not much of a superhero fan, but since endgame they've been a mess. Not sure how anyone can not seen it tbh. Their output has been pretty poor for a long time even on disney +, but it's only just started to hit them in the pocket I think.

The last few films have not made them money. Don't think they've had a hit in a while now.
They haven't? Typically break even is considered double budget

Lets look ay post endgame

Guardians 3 - made over 3 times
Ant-Man (which was utterly **** and the only real bad film I think they've made) - 50 million over double
Wakanda Forever - well over 3 times
Thor: Lover and Thunder - over three times
Doctor Strange - Over three times (45 million off a billion dollars)
Spider-Man No W
Eternals - 1.7times
Shang-Chi - Just over two time (which is a shame it was great and possibly the best on this list)
Black Widow - 1.3 times

So only real duds were pandemic movies since then its pretty much normal service and they've been making solid bank.

(Saw The Marvels at the weekend it definitely had issues but felt more like movie a studio had lost confidence in and cut within an inch of its life and not able to execute on its main set pieces, which is a shame there is a good movie underneath it instead of the decidedly average one they made).

Think it's more then double now due to the interest, loans, actors contract agreements etc in all of that. Going by that list, I think Dr Strange 2/Thor was the last hit? Then you add on stuff like indiana Jones. No chance that made money.

As I said, I'm not really interested in superheroes, but maybe a lot of it is fatigue setting in? They have been the big thing for a while now. Disney own a lot and they probably need the constant stream of hits to keep ticking over.

Think it's more then double now due to the interest, loans, actors contract agreements etc in all of that. Going by that list, I think Dr Strange 2/Thor was the last hit? Then you add on stuff like indiana Jones. No chance that made money.

As I said, I'm not really interested in superheroes, but maybe a lot of it is fatigue setting in? They have been the big thing for a while now. Disney own a lot and they probably need the constant stream of hits to keep ticking over.
I've not heard any reputable source say its different to double.

Guardians 3 (which was last hit which was the last film they released before The Marvels)

I think people have been talking to superhero fatigue for since before Iron Man came out (articles were written about The Dark Knight in that regard). But you so look at the figures and they're still making solid money. Maybe they aren't part of the cultural zeitgeist like they once were but they're still plodding a long being a pretty sure bet.

(Indiana Jones was Paramount not Disney BTW )

I've not heard any reputable source say its different to double.

Guardians 3 (which was last hit which was the last film they released before The Marvels)

I think people have been talking to superhero fatigue for since before Iron Man came out (articles were written about The Dark Knight in that regard). But you so look at the figures and they're still making solid money. Maybe they aren't part of the cultural zeitgeist like they once were but they're still plodding a long being a pretty sure bet.

(Indiana Jones was Paramount not Disney BTW )
Lucasfilm was bought by Disney which owns Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Willow - which disney made a sequel of which flopped so hard, they pulled it off Disney+ quickly.

As for the figures, it's pretty standard that they have to pay off interest on loans, marketing costs, actors contracts with added bonuses etc. I remember reading Robert Downey Jr got Disney good on one of the films (avengers I think). The formula for working out costs is usually something like

(Production budget) 200 million + 200 million (marketing)

However, they usually only reveal the production costs. On top of this they have distribution fees too. Each ticket sold usually sees the studio getting about 50-40% of the money and if they hit the certain number of sales, an actors contract might have a bonus fee clause. So if a film that cost 200 million to make was released, you're looking at needing probably 450 just to hit profit.

On the costs:
"As of November 5, 2023, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny has grossed $174.5 million in the United States and Canada, and $209.5 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $384 million. With an estimated production budget of $294.7 million, not including marketing costs, it is the most expensive film in the Indiana Jones franchise, as well as one of the most expensive films ever made. Due to its expensive production cost and marketing budget, the film was deemed a box-office bomb. Collider estimated the film would need to make around $600 million to break-even, and $800 million to be considered a success. In August 2023"

Last edited:
My mistake, I know Paramount originally distributed the first 4 so assumed the right would be locked up with them rather than Lucasfilm

Still I think one flop out of everything we've looked at so far isn't a studio screwing up really.

Latest posts