• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Based on these figures, I'd say the recent success they've had is Spidy, Thor, Dr Strange 2, GotG3 and Black Panther. I guess the issue is everything else has not performed well enough for them -making it tricky for them going forward. I'm guessing Fantastic Four and Xmen are the only *big* names they have left to use now for Marvel(?).

I know Disney's share price has dropped loads too. Snow White looks to be canned (due to reshoots, star actress making odd comments etc) and they don't have anything in the pipeline to keep the money flowing. I think Disney+ subscriptions are not going up but remain steady but maybe not enough for them to happy? The park is in a weird spot too as they started a fight with gov and that's never a good thing to do.

They're not dead as such, but change needs to happen it seems.

The last star wars trilogy was shocking, how anyone can say any of those films were any good is beyond me. Rogue One was excellent but that and the first 2 seasons of Mandalorin aside Disney has been a disaster for Star wars

Disney scarified quality for quantity.
Losing all creative aspects of what made their films a hit in the first place.

GOTG 3 was excellent but James Gunn has enough sway and confidence to not be hampered by higher ups.

Disney are just gutting anything so they can churn out as much as possible

Disney scarified quality for quantity.
Losing all creative aspects of what made their films a hit in the first place.

GOTG 3 was excellent but James Gunn has enough sway and confidence to not be hampered by higher ups.

Disney are just gutting anything so they can churn out as much as possible
It honestly feels that way. The amount of content coming out is insane when you think about it and its not good stuff either. I don't really know much about this side, but many seem to be complaining (see south park) about the push for diversity in the absence of good writing. I don't know though. I definitely agree on the writing side regardless.

I actually liked the dr strange character as he grew and realised his attitude was wrong in the first film, but the second film was just a mess. I've never watched Wanda vision but it clearly carried on from it. It was a Wanda film disguised as a Dr Strange film.

The last star wars trilogy was shocking, how anyone can say any of those films were any good is beyond me. Rogue One was excellent but that and the first 2 seasons of Mandalorin aside Disney has been a disaster for Star wars
Watch Andor,

Sorry not going to accept anyone answer Star Wars has been disaster if they haven't watch that through (and if they still hate it there opinion on everything are null and void).

It honestly feels that way. The amount of content coming out is insane when you think about it and its not good stuff either. I don't really know much about this side, but many seem to be complaining (see south park) about the push for diversity in the absence of good writing. I don't know though. I definitely agree on the writing side regardless.

I actually liked the dr strange character as he grew and realised his attitude was wrong in the first film, but the second film was just a mess. I've never watched Wanda vision but it clearly carried on from it. It was a Wanda film disguised as a Dr Strange film.
Dr. strange 2 is the finale to Wandavision and Wandavision was great and it serves as fitting finale to that. Its a mess but

Anyone saying the push to diversity is reason to failure is an ass though. Sorry that's just the case, things don't fail because of that. Black Panther made a **** ton of money and was critically acclaimed (I don't think think it was that good) good stories are good stories regardless making a movie with diversity in mind can clearly yield to great results. Hiring bad writers without an artistic vision can be and is more likely the issue.

Watch Andor,

Sorry not going to accept anyone answer Star Wars has been disaster if they haven't watch that through (and if they still hate it there opinion on everything are null and void).
Watched them all apart from Andor and frankly after the 3 crap movies and many crap series I'm not going to bother anymore. There is only so much you can take.

And it has been a disaster. I never thought anything could be worse than the 3 prequel movies from Lucas film but Disney proved me wrong

Dr. strange 2 is the finale to Wandavision and Wandavision was great and it serves as fitting finale to that. Its a mess but

Anyone saying the push to diversity is reason to failure is an ass though. Sorry that's just the case, things don't fail because of that. Black Panther made a **** ton of money and was critically acclaimed (I don't think think it was that good) good stories are good stories regardless making a movie with diversity in mind can clearly yield to great results. Hiring bad writers without an artistic vision can be and is more likely the issue.
Agreed. I think I can see how an argument might have played out on the Internet. People said "this is lazy writing" etc, the other side called them out as sexist, racists and so on as a result to silence them.

I do think it's weird how they tried to make us feel sorry for Wanda. Yeah, she lost a lot and it's awful, but (i looked it up) holding a town hostage, killing countless people? Nah, get in the bin. You're just evil. I guess they were going for the fallen hero story (like darth vader), but it was so badly done. That's an example of the bad writing.

I do think it's weird how they tried to make us feel sorry for Wanda. Yeah, she lost a lot and it's awful, but (i looked it up) holding a town hostage, killing countless people? Nah, get in the bin. You're just evil. I guess they were going for the fallen hero story (like darth vader), but it was so badly done. That's an example of the bad writing.
I mean its science fiction/horror it's an allegory for grief and escaping from the world. Also as someone who is involuntarily childless me and wife both came out that film fully sympathetic with Wanda even if her crimes are heinous.

So yeah not sure I agree with bad writing at all.

Watched them all apart from Andor and frankly after the 3 crap movies and many crap series I'm not going to bother anymore. There is only so much you can take.

And it has been a disaster. I never thought anything could be worse than the 3 prequel movies from Lucas film but Disney proved me wrong
That fair I disagree wholeheartedly on 3 crap movies. Its 1 film built on nostaligia bit ultimately fun and well made. 1 diversive great film (I still don't get the hate). Finished by one yes utterly **** film because it was made by a hack who has the ability to create something similar to what you like but has no idea how to finish a story or do anything diffrent.

I mean its science fiction/horror it's an allegory for grief and escaping from the world. Also as someone who is involuntarily childless me and wife both came out that film fully sympathetic with Wanda even if her crimes are heinous.

So yeah not sure I agree with bad writing at all.
we'll have to disagree there.

It's done well, but she's definitely the villain. Not someone I can have sympathy for considering what she's doing.

Last edited:

watched Ahsoka? i loved that, it was all the stuff that Andor wasnt, all the mystic force stuff to Andors politics and spy craft

I agree with @ncurd as far as andor being very good...but disagree re Last Jedi, too may plot holes, character changes, pointless side quests, it is literally the only time that fuel is mentioned in star war canon and its sudden a huge plot point in an flagship film?...and why didn;t the baddies jump past them and then jump back in front of them....we're expected to believe the baddies sole focus is on the rebel ships but they wouldn;t spot the fleet of shuttles slipping off to a planet theyre passing....and what they did to carrie fisher....force flying?...why not have her force push all the other people from the bridge back through the door and die a hero...no, they have her save herself and have to digitally recreate her...just to kill her off in the next film....bombs in space and the whole hacker side quest

I dont mind tFA as a stand alone...but i hate that it basically just undoes everything they fought for in the original trilogy, kill off the new republic in an instant, we never get to see a happy luke, leia or han...we basically go back to worse than they were before the OT

...but Andor and Ahsoka (and CW / Rebels) are very good

I agree with @ncurd as far as andor being very good...but disagree re Last Jedi, too may plot holes, character changes, pointless side quests, it is literally the only time that fuel is mentioned in star war canon and its sudden a huge plot point in an flagship film?...and why didn;t the baddies jump past them and then jump back in front of them....we're expected to believe the baddies sole focus is on the rebel ships but they wouldn;t spot the fleet of shuttles slipping off to a planet theyre passing....and what they did to carrie fisher....force flying?...why not have her force push all the other people from the bridge back through the door and die a hero...no, they have her save herself and have to digitally recreate her...just to kill her off in the next film....bombs in space and the whole hacker side quest
And the Admiral character who was so badly written she made a more convincing bad guy than the bloke who was supposed to be the bad guy

He's a bit late to the discussion, but still valid. We're heading into iffy territory with all this. Same in games.

Last edited:
On Netflix now.
Didn't realise this - definitely going to re-watch

Watched it (twice) on the flights to/from Japan just before covid kicked off - not sure it was the directors vision for it to be watched on a 9inch screen with a slightly scratched plastic surface but I still loved it

Latest posts