• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

I really couldn't get on with Oppenheimer. Thought it was pretty bad and certainly one of the most overrated films in the last few years.

I enjoyed Oppenheimer a lot, Globes are usually nonsense though.
It's the start of the awards season but yes I know what you mean. It's just an an indicator of who wins the big prize of the Oscars and even that receives a lot of criticism.

I am just interested in the main prizes winners - don't always agree but then my watching of films has diminished a lot in recent years.

It's the start of the awards season but yes I know what you mean. It's just an an indicator of who wins the big prize of the Oscars and even that receives a lot of criticism.

I am just interested in the main prizes winners - don't always agree but then my watching of films has diminished a lot in recent years.
Mark Kermode describes the Globes nominations as "who do we want want to have a party with, lets nominate them"

SAG Awards tend to be far better indicators (voters cross pollination), the Globes throws up some odd stuff. (Including what's a a comedy and whats a drama)

Just finished Society of the Snow, the new Netflix film about the Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes. Was really good but oh boy it was a tough watch. Just harrowing and bleak throughout.

I never saw Alive so can't compare it to that but yeah, it was good. Does a very good job of commemorating the dead.

The Silence of the Lambs - another great film based on a book (although I have not read it). Extraordinary performance from Hopkins.

hannibal lecter GIF

Best Picture nominees

And now for the big one - Best Picture nominees:
  • American Fiction
  • Anatomy of a Fall
  • Barbie
  • The Holdovers
  • Killers of the Flower Moon
  • Maestro
  • Oppenheimer
  • Past Lives
  • Poor Things
  • The Zone of Interest

Last edited:
stop making spiderman movie without spiderman! there is also kraven and venom 3 (apparently) coming this year....a connected universe that doesn't actually connect

the 4 movies so far (venom, venom 2, mobius and madam web) also have and average rotten tomatoes score of 29%

Poor Things

Bizarre, but entertaining
Like the art style, almost reminded me of James and the Giant Peach in a weird way

Latest posts