• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Recently watched it. Weird film,to be honest
How did you understand it? What is the point of this movie?
I got an allusion to the consumer society and the "pretentiousness" of elites but..is there something besides it? Not sure I understood everything. The partner liked it a lot, while I was like "what did I watch?" :rolleyes: 🧐
I think you understood it fine. I took similar thoughts away from it. I can see what you're saying about what did I watch kind of thing but I don't think it was an overly deep film.

Really really loved the Mario movie
So many little Easter eggs, music was really well worked and the animation was brilliant

For all the ******* and moaning beforehand I did not recognise Chris Pratt as mario at all, and think he fit really well - whole voice cast was great tbh, even Seth Rogen just being Seth Rogen as DK

A Good person.

Very good performances from Florence Pugh and also the legend that is Morgan Freeman. Moral of the story don't use google maps on your mobile when driving.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves

Pleasantly surprised, fun movie

Hugh Grant was very good, I really like the roles he's taking at this stage of his career (Paddington 2, The Gentlemen, this)

Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse

High expectations I think the first is best Spider-Man film made by a long way. Reviews were of hight praise so was pretty nervous playing the expectation game. Blew everything out the water could of happily walked back into the cinema and watch it again. Might be one of the best animated films ever made. I'd actually be pretty angry if it didn't get at least a Best Picture nomination come awards season.

Visually and Audiably it's incredibly rich drawing off a multitude of styles and genres. Honestly it's amazing.

Don't get the hype with Oppenheimer at all - I'm sure it'll be a good film because Nolan is a quality director and the cast is great, but people are acting like it's going to be the greatest cinematic event in modern history

Genuinely more interested in the Barbie movie

on disney so finally watched it, just to be clear....very impressive visuals, although my point from earlier in the thread still stands, its SO cgi it actually feels animated

but...
bringing back the same bad guy?....lazy
immaculate conception of sigourney weavers character just so they can have a +75 year old acting as a tween?...lazy
inventing a new "unobtainium" to justify the genocide of water people rather than forest people?...lazy (why not purely make it about bringing who they saw as a traitor to "justice"?)
how many times can the kids get caught and escape....a least one could have been cut
and 98% of the film being set in the same setting (water)...just made the film very samey...and felt super long, i know films like dune have the same colour pallet for most of it but i felt they made it part of the brooding nature of the film...this was just real blue

dont get me wrong, watched it all, wanted to see what happened in the end...really felt like it could have done with an editor

1686820873909.png

Body dysmorphia - it's a hell of a thing
Alt
The mirror must have rolled a natural 20 on its deception check

Last edited:
We are almost in the middle of the year, and to choose a really good film so far is a very hard task, because most of them were exceptionally poor.

However, I enjoyed Super Mario Bros and Shazam 2.

I'll vote for Guardians of the galaxy 3 for my fave this year so far. Never thought a fake CGI racoon could hit me in the feels.

Looking forward to Dune pt2.

We are almost in the middle of the year, and to choose a really good film so far is a very hard task, because most of them were exceptionally poor.

Anyway who says this hasn't seen Across the Spider-Verss

With Across being genuinely outstanding other good films I've seen this year.

Guardians 3
The Three Musketeers
Dungeons and Dragons
Air
Tetris

(Those last two I watched on streaming)

So yeah 6 months in and strike rate of at least one good film a month nit really been a poor year but if your going to watch Shazam 2 and Super Mario Bros. may I suggest not going to go watch films that are clearly going to be mediocre?

Enjoyed but didn't think any were that great? Kind of sums up movies these days. Really don't remember being wowed by a film for years.

Latest posts