• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The new AB kit

Q

QKXV

I've seen this little story on rugby365.com a couple of days ago and expected some of the Kiwi members to have started a topic about the new AB's kit the minute it was launched but still nothing about it. Quite surprised actually seeing as most of the TRF trendsetters seem to hail from that part of the world. Like to hear some thoughts on this article, the new kit etc

http://www.rugby365.com/story/0,18881,3818_2090702,00.html

from rugby365.com

Further evidence that rugby is going to the dogs emerged on Thursday as hard-as-nails Carl Hayman was forced to sashay down a cat-walk in New Zealand at the behest of the moneymen from adidas.

The Highlanders prop was joined by Nick Evans, Ma'a Nonu and Rodney So'oialo as the All Black jersey for Rugby World Cup 2007 was revealed to gasps of appreciation from the fashionistas of the sporting world.

But whilst Hayman wore a face of defiled dignity, Nonu - who sports highlights and slaps on the mascara on match days - luxuriated in the warm glow of the popping flashbulbs.

At first glance, the jersey resembles the sort of skin-tight purist's nightmare pioneered by England in 2003. But no: adidas has trumped Nike by producing "a three-dimensional garment". Eureka!

If that isn't impressive enough, the All Blacks will benefit from the very latest "bodymapping" and "ForMotion" technology, "venting", "bonded seams" and "form-fitting fabric to reduce chafing and irritation".

The manufacturers, who claim to have spent 28 months "developing" the jersey, claim that the new collarless design is 45 per cent lighter than the last offering, which will be music to the ears of the like of Jerry Collins who would struggle under the weight of, well, an uprooted oak.

But the magic runs even deeper than that, as Greig Bramwell - CEO of adidas New Zealand - was only too happy to explain.

"During a rugby game, holding a ball, lifting, catching , passing, and setting up for a tackle, requires players to have their arms out in front of their body, rather than down by their sides," revealed Bramwell by moving his lips up and down in an equally revolutionary manner.

"So the jersey has been designed to support that body position - it is a three-dimensional garment."

Not even the sacred silver fern was spared an 'upgrade' in the name of science.

The symbol that has been held close to New Zealand's bravest hearts for over a century will now also appear in their armpits in the shape of "black-on-black mesh inserts".

"We wanted to enhance the nationalistic look and feel of the jersey while remaining true to the clean black look - so we incorporated an embossed fern into the side panel," explained Bramwell.

Hayman's lugubrious twirl at the end of the runway (what does one call that move?) also revealed a new twist to the "TechFit undergarment" worn by the players - intersecting grey panels across the shoulder blades.

Was this an intra-bonding cross-mesh Gatofor? A power-enhancing Met®-Protoshphere? Interlocking FIT enablators©?

Unfortunately, no one could tell us. We were left to conclude that it was simply a sartorial nod towards the cross the All Blacks have had to bear since baggy-jerseyed David Kirk hoisted the Webb Ellis Trophy way back in 1987.

But the final word went to New Zealand captain Richie McCaw.

"It helps to look at the stands and see lots of black jerseys too," he said.

Yes, replica jerseys are available in men's, women's and children's sizes at sportswear stores across New Zealand from 1 May.

Extend your arms out in front of your body and hurry down to the shops.

By Andy Jackson

They're only available from May 1st in New Zealand?
They've been out here for nearly a week now.
Strange.

But nothing special about the kit.
It's black.
Big deal.

NZjersey_218963.jpg

What's the deal with that cross on the back, and where did you see them Matt?

NZjersey_218963.jpg

[/b]

Huh, that's certainly not the kit i've seen.
I saw them in the rugby shop i work in. But there was no cross on the back of the shirt, that's for sure.
Just the fern going down besides the obliques.
I'm not sure what that AB kit is.

I think the cross on the back is a second garment, like a waiste coat.

x marks the spot

So long as they don't do that Nike Experimental Army Kit we had a thread about a while back...Anything but men running around in full spandex. I'm not for baggy kit, but I'm also against super tight fit kit...how's a chubby lad like me supposed to hold onto his dignaty...lose weight...no...give me a slightly looser jersy. And Spandex shorts were never cool...you hear me David Lee Roth...NEVER! That's why he was so "Sad And Lonely."

NZjersey_218963.jpg

[/b]
I don't believe that is an gameplaying jumper - it's just something they can wear while training or something that is worn underneath the actual jumper.

yea, the one Nick Evans is wearing must be a training jersey / those things they wear under the jersey...

The new jersey look like it has a shadow fern on its side... looks good.. it's black.. :p I'll buy em...

Yeah, it's strange to describe the fern on the side.
It's black but becasue it's a different material it reflects the light differently and therefore gives it that strange "shadowed" look. Very subtle.

Thats it....I'm gonna go hard on my situps and pushups and lose my stomach.....get some abs and buy a jersey in time for the cup!

lol. thats just going to give extra motivation for the all blacks to beat france when they meet in the world cup.

Smart move by the French but I still think the ABs will be strong if they meet in World Cup. And about that X on the back of the shirt, I think it's attached on the inside of the shirt meaning Nick Evans must be wearing the shirt 'inside-out'? I dunno but maybe. Anyways they wouldn't wear 2 layers of material over the top.

Where can I buy one of those online?
[/b]

transfer £80 into the following account:

MR QKXV
406847715 20-28-52

Your Brand new AB jersey will be with you in a short while.

Latest posts