• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Official TRF International Shield

B

BokMagic

Right ladies and gents, the RWC has come and gone, and the champions have been crowned. Naturally, the Springboks will remain the World Champions for the next 4 years. But we at TRF feel that it is necessary to also incorporate another international competition, based loosely around the idea that to be the champ, you`ve got to beat the champ. And also to add some more spice to the international calendar, especially to the May and November cross-hemisphere test matches.

Seeing as TRF are generally well ahead of the game, we have decided to exceed the authority of the IRB and create our own tournament- the TRF International Shield. It works like this- as the current RWC winners, the Springboks become the 1st official holders of the TRF International Shield. But, unlike the RWC ***le, this shield is up for grabs every test you play. That`s right- every single time!

So the Boks take on Wales in Cardiff on 24 November 2007. This will be their 1st defense of the ***le. If Wales wins this match, they will become the new holders of the TRF International Shield, to be defended in their next outing. If the Boks win or draw, they will retain their ***le. Which will then be put up for defense in their next encounter, and so forth.

The rules are simple- all full international test matches between individual countries will be considred. This excludes invitational sides like the BaaBaas or a World XV. It also excludes combined test teams like the Lions and the combined PIRA team.

So, come 24 November, who will be the official holders- the reigning champion Bokke, or the challengers, Wales?

South Africa will definitely hold on to it against Wales I'd say.

If Wales did win then played Ireland and Ireland won, would that make Ireland the holders of the TRF International Shield?

Top Stuff! Should be interesting to see who holds it by the time the next World Cup rolls around (although I have my ideas of who it will be...).

And the beauty of it is this- the 2 ***les will once again be united come RWC 2011, whatever happens. Unless the holders before the start of the tourney didn`t qualify for the RWC for some or other bizarre reason.

Sounds good. Although, should make it like the Ranfurly Shield so it can only be won by beating the current holders in their own country. This will reduce the amount of whoring the shield would do if it was contested in any old match. Either way, sounds like fun and then every can get a piece!!!

Sounds good. Although, should make it like the Ranfurly Shield so it can only be won by beating the current holders in their own country. This will reduce the amount of whoring the shield would do if it was contested in any old match. Either way, sounds like fun and then every can get a piece!!! [/b]

Well we felt that in theory the Champs should be able to defend it home or away, plus home games only would not make it as interesting I feel, cos it would mean say Argentina hardly ever play at home, so therefore if they got the shield by beating someone on there home soil, the shield could stay in Argentina until the next World Cup as they probably have only a couple of tests a year in Argentina if that...

<div class='quotemain'> Sounds good. Although, should make it like the Ranfurly Shield so it can only be won by beating the current holders in their own country. This will reduce the amount of whoring the shield would do if it was contested in any old match. Either way, sounds like fun and then every can get a piece!!! [/b]

Well we felt that in theory the Champs should be able to defend it home or away, plus home games only would not make it as interesting I feel, cos it would mean say Argentina hardly ever play at home, so therefore if they got the shield by beating someone on there home soil, the shield could stay in Argentina until the next World Cup as they probably have only a couple of tests a year in Argentina if that...
[/b][/quote]

Yep, fair enough. Didn't take into account the amount of home games played in respective countries, just goes to show how much of a change is needed and fast. This is a great idea never-the-less.

The ***le isn't up for grabs against an invitational side like the Barbarians (nor the Lions etc.)
It's only full international test matches between individual countries where the shield will be up for grabs.

I can't see Wales coming out of this game without the shield! B)

[/b]

Let the banter begin!

Read my sig and weep, RC. Seeing as it`s officially the year of the Bok ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Let the banter begin!

Read my sig and weep, RC. Seeing as it`s officially the year of the Bok ;) [/b][/quote]

Oh dear BokMagik have naive you are.
You see, your boys will still be suffering from their World Cup Hangover whereas Wales have long since been knocked out, drowned their sorrows and recovered from the disastrous hangover!
South Africa won't be ready for the bomb we're gonna drop on them.

Henson at 12 and he's gonna smash that little boy (Steyn) just like he smashed England's little boy (Tait) a few years back! :p

Never fear RC, at least you guys get another 2 cracks at the Shield when we square up again next year. Seeing as the holders, SA, will be facing Wales twice first-up on our incoming tours schedule next year.

Notice how confidently I`m predicting that we`ll still be holders after 24 November.

***here`s hoping to not having to crawl into a hole and hide afterwards***

Sorry, Wales will get 2 cracks at the shield?

Don't you mean South Africa will get two cracks at it.
Yes, surely that's what you meant.

I've already given you one reason as to why we'll win *cough*henson*cough*

Begin quaking my south african comrade!

Well if the Welsh Win the Shield, the English will take it off them in the Six Nations ;)

And hold it forever...

Sorry, Wales will get 2 cracks at the shield?

Don't you mean South Africa will get two cracks at it.
Yes, surely that's what you meant.

I've already given you one reason as to why we'll win *cough*henson*cough*

Begin quaking my south african comrade! [/b]

Well my good man RC, I`ll give you one reason why Wales won`t take that Shield off of us just yet- Gavin Henson!

:(

Ouch, that one hurt!
That was below the belt.

Although, to be honest, i'd rather have Ospreys face South Africa than Wales, right now.
Hell, we beat Australia. :lol:

Ah, the Ospreys 2nds vs. Aus game- now that was sheer class. Makes me long for the days of proper tours, complete with midweek, non-test matches. Imagine the 2nd-string Boks taking on one of the regional Welsh teams. Or rather, let`s not. Connaught still haunts my memories.

I think you guys should know that this allready exists.

It's the exact same concept you're using now, I remember reading about it on Wikipedia once, and it's been going on for quite some time before the actual RWC I believe.

I'll try and find a link somewhere.

Latest posts