The plundering of the cheetahs

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
In total, there are 11 players who are definitely on their way out of Bloemfontein before next season while coach Rory Duncan is also moving on.

Captain Francois Venter and Duncan are off to join the Worcester Warriors in England while others to leave are Torsten van Jaarsveld (Bayonne, France), Fred Zeilinga (Canon Eagles, Japan), Carl Wegner, Reniel Hugo, Clinton Swart (all Verblitz, Japan), Uzair Cassiem, Clayton Blommetjies (both Scarlets, Wales), Tom Botha (Ospreys, Wales) and Niel Marais (Jubilo, Japan).
Article link

Basically need to buy a whole new team by the start of next season

Article link

Basically need to buy a whole new team by the start of next season

This isn't a new thing with regard to the Cheetahs. It has always been their problem to hold on to their players.

But with that said, the Cheetahs have also already started signing new players, and I guess now that they have their off-season, they can look at getting in more guys to fill the gaps.

Yeah it is the regular occurrence for them however this is a particular big group of players all going to foreign teams. Normally there is a split between SA teams and foreign teams.

Very disappointing for Cheetahs fans and I don't see how this will increase crowd attendance next Pro 14 season.

Seems to me they are looking at the plan of out with the old, in with the young...

Sure, but doesn't that just continue their cycle they have been on? I mean, of those signed players, there aren't any big star players ( ones I liked in there are Nico Lee, Shaun Venter and William Small-Smith... Potentially Malcolm Jaer). They have lost almost all of their experienced leaders in the team. You can't compete for tournaments if every year is a rebuild phase. I was hoping with the movement over to the Pro 14 and having a lot more cash coming in, they would be able to retain a lot more of their big players, instead of being a feeder. Now they seem to be continuing their ways, being a feeder for European teams this time and then bringing in new talent to develop and then pass on.

Would be nice if they could sign some big names from the other franchises from SA in the next few months.

Sure, but doesn't that just continue their cycle they have been on? I mean, of those signed players, there aren't any big star players ( ones I liked in there are Nico Lee, Shaun Venter and William Small-Smith... Potentially Malcolm Jaer). They have lost almost all of their experienced leaders in the team. You can't compete for tournaments if every year is a rebuild phase. I was hoping with the movement over to the Pro 14 and having a lot more cash coming in, they would be able to retain a lot more of their big players, instead of being a feeder. Now they seem to be continuing their ways, being a feeder for European teams this time and then bringing in new talent to develop and then pass on.

Would be nice if they could sign some big names from the other franchises from SA in the next few months.

I think the big name signing will happen now. They got "rid" of the players who got the bigger contracts with them, so I guess it's now about realigning their funds, see what is available and who they want.

I hope they sign some of their old stars back like the Du Plessis brothers, Heinrich Brussouw, Frans Steyn, Duane Vermeulen, or at least a few guys that was at Grey High...

The only silver lining is Rory Duncan moving on. I really don't think he got the maximum out of the squad. As an aside I am baffled by Worcesters coaching selections. First a completely discredited Solomans and now Duncan. :S

With the changes to Bok eligibility I would advise non-Cheetahs fans in SA to brace themselves for something similar with their sides come the off-season (although that isn't such a factor for the above departures bar Cassiem and Venter).

EDIT: At least Stapelberg must now surely get a shot again at fly half.

Latest posts