• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The pointless prediction thread 2017/18 season.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
So what are all your predictions for next seasons table come end of season.

1) Wasps - Part of me can see them finishing 4th and being found out by a few teams. Great attack but their defence in the second half of the season was shockingly bad.
2) Saracens - Would be top by miles if it wasn't for internationals even then have recruited extremely well.
3) Tigers - IF we sign mckenzie and another top back i reckon we could have a strong season.
4) Exeter - We will see but i reckon Parling will be a big loss to their set piece.
5) Bath - Just not sure on them.
6) Harlequins - I think they will surprise some people.
7) Sale - Have made some impressive backs and back row signing but the tight 5 is too weak imo to be challenging top 6 teams.
8) Falcons - Made some very impressive signings that should compliment the current team well.
9) Saints - Picamoles carried them last season and is a huge loss, francis is good but not a 10.
10) Glous - Ackermann is great but will he hav the time for this season? Owen Williams and Woodward are good signings but the Outside backs have never been the big issue with Glous. I don't rate Woodman.
11) Irish - Like them, have some young players that should have benefitted from a season down.
12) Worcester - some excellent players but if Hougaard goes down so do them IMO.

I Still think some big signings still to come, but based on current squad's

1) SARACENS, Strongest squad in Europe, will win enough games with a full team out to compensate for any loses while players are away, and even then they'll pick up win's...
2) EXETER, Settled squad with a great addition in Kvesic, add a quality lock and it will be same again, nobody likes going to Sandy Park...
3) WASPS, Strong squad, will loose key player's to the 6N, not sure they'll cope as well as Sarries with this...
4) LEICESTER, The joker's in the pack for me, a fit Toomua & Tuilagi along with a Mckenzie and they could win it, too many if's and but's...
5) HARLEQUINS, Usual inconsistent but have the quality to mix it in the top six and secure champions cup...
6) BATH, Difficult to predict as most of their recruitment is still to be done based on what I'm reading/hearing...
7) NEWCASTLE, Quality addition's this summer, they'll take their scalps but prove too inconsistent to challenge top 6...
8) SALE, As above, potentially great back's, outstanding potential at 6, 7, 8, weak tight 5, sign a stellar lock or two, a prop and they are top six...
9) NORTHAMPTON, Need to play a more expansive game for me, pinning a lot on Francis to make this happen, still got the player's...
10) GLOUCESTER, Same as Quins but with a little less quality, far too inconsistent to challenge...
11) IRISH, Lot's of potential coming through, just good enough to survive...
12) WORCESTER, Season rest's on a couple of player's, most notably Hougaard, different team without him...

I think Saracens will win it,however I'm interested to see where the Tiger's cap money from Pieterson, Beatham and Mccaffarey goes, that may be a game changer....

Interesting you've both picked Worcester to go down. Based upon the way they finished last season, I think they'll comfortably survive.

I'm going for:

1. Saracens - even if international call-ups will hit them hard, their squad has only got stronger and players like Earle could step-in to keep them dominant.

2. Exeter - I agree that they will miss Parling, but they've recruited well and are very settled squad. Back-to-back ***les is too much of a stretch IMO, but I think they'll go close.

3. Wasps - Watson and De Jongh will add more in attack. I just think Saracens and Exeter are more consistent.

4. Leicester - I'm really looking forward to Youngs and Ford playing in tandem and if Toomua and Tuilagi can find fitness and form their backline could be deadly. I'm unsure about their back row though - O'Connor may make the signings to address it, but it feels like it's the weaker part of their squad.

5. Harlequins - probably an overly optimistic view given that Catrakilis is an unknown quantity at 10, but I'm hopeful that Saili and Marchant could form a quality combination in the centre.

6. Bath - I think Burns will have a really positive impact. Ford had gone a little bit stale and if Blackadder can bring in some quality last minute signings they could well challenge for the play-offs. Also curious to see how Underhill and Mercer do.

7. Sale - hard to call ... they have lots of good players and I think Strauss and Ross will add much needed beef to the pack but how De Klerk settles and whether O'Connor turns out to be a masterstroke or a liability is probably the difference beteeen mid table or higher.

8. Newcastle - much more of a threat now they can win away from home and have made good signings. I don't see them improving on last season, but Richards is a canny coach and I believe they will do well again.

9. Gloucester - Ackermann will have an impact and they've made some interesting signings to add to what was already a decent squad. I just think they're three or four players and a year off challenging for better.

10. Northampton - controversial, but there seem to be issues off the pitch and unless they make some big signings, the loss of Picamoles will hurt them badly. I don't see there being many points between 5th and 10th, but I think other teams have improved a lot more.

11. Worcester - I think Gold did an excellent job last season and while I don't see them improving on their position, I think that's down to a lot of competition in the lower half and I expect them to be a lot more comfortable in avoiding relegation.

12. London Irish - some interesting signings and some great young talent. I just don't see it being enough. I think they'll be last by some distance like Bristol last season.

Interesting you've both picked Worcester to go down. Based upon the way they finished last season, I think they'll comfortably survive.

I'm going for:

1. Saracens - even if international call-ups will hit them hard, their squad has only got stronger and players like Earle could step-in to keep them dominant.

2. Exeter - I agree that they will miss Parling, but they've recruited well and are very settled squad. Back-to-back ***les is too much of a stretch IMO, but I think they'll go close.

3. Wasps - Watson and De Jongh will add more in attack. I just think Saracens and Exeter are more consistent.

4. Leicester - I'm really looking forward to Youngs and Ford playing in tandem and if Toomua and Tuilagi can find fitness and form their backline could be deadly. I'm unsure about their back row though - O'Connor may make the signings to address it, but it feels like it's the weaker part of their squad.

5. Harlequins - probably an overly optimistic view given that Catrakilis is an unknown quantity at 10, but I'm hopeful that Saili and Marchant could form a quality combination in the centre.

6. Bath - I think Burns will have a really positive impact. Ford had gone a little bit stale and if Blackadder can bring in some quality last minute signings they could well challenge for the play-offs. Also curious to see how Underhill and Mercer do.

7. Sale - hard to call ... they have lots of good players and I think Strauss and Ross will add much needed beef to the pack but how De Klerk settles and whether O'Connor turns out to be a masterstroke or a liability is probably the difference beteeen mid table or higher.

8. Newcastle - much more of a threat now they can win away from home and have made good signings. I don't see them improving on last season, but Richards is a canny coach and I believe they will do well again.

9. Gloucester - Ackermann will have an impact and they've made some interesting signings to add to what was already a decent squad. I just think they're three or four players and a year off challenging for better.

10. Northampton - controversial, but there seem to be issues off the pitch and unless they make some big signings, the loss of Picamoles will hurt them badly. I don't see there being many points between 5th and 10th, but I think other teams have improved a lot more.

11. Worcester - I think Gold did an excellent job last season and while I don't see them improving on their position, I think that's down to a lot of competition in the lower half and I expect them to be a lot more comfortable in avoiding relegation.

12. London Irish - some interesting signings and some great young talent. I just don't see it being enough. I think they'll be last by some distance like Bristol last season.
Read earlier today, 3 years ago Saints were 5/1 for the ***le, this season they are 40/1, shows where they are right now...

1. Saracens -Best squad, coaches and big home advantage.
2. Exeter - Cracking set-up, Parling a loss but should be ok for top two as Wasps and Tigers aren't on these two's level yet.
3. Tigers - O'Connor ticking a lot of boxes. Couple big signings 'imminent' too
4. Wasps - Great attack will be weakened with the loss of Beale. Defence still an issue. Finished in a false position last season IMO.
5. Bath - Burns and Underhill will improve them but still not enough for top four.
6. Saints - Yes Picamoles has gone but they should sort their act out with the squad they've got.
7. Falcons - Signings have improved squad
8. Quins - squad hasn't improved.
9. Sale - Slight improvement (8,9 and 10 all very similar, could easily swap)
10. Gloucester -Squad actually looks weaker
11. Worcester - Should be fine
12. Irish - Might be close but will go down

I think we'll finish somewhere between sixth and tenth and have another terribly underwhelming season.

Saracens - the best team only hindered by 6N
Chiefs - best coaching, lack of world class stars but a solid settled team who know how to win. Few tweeks to the team should improve it further if Baxter can work his magic
Wasps - many world class stars and flare players. Look strong team
Tigers could be bath depends on coaching but signings could help
Bath been good not great but still a top team hope burns does well
Saints. Feancais looks good a good team but not great mid table team atm.
Falcons, good signings and coaching, a team on the up
Sale can see them doing well plus teams below them are not doing well
Quins not improved and not much in signings.
Gloucester same as quins
Lirish think they can do enough to stay up.
Worcester could be in a close battle

My main takeaway from this thread is that almost everyone agrees that it will be super competitive in mid-table this season.

I see it as the same top four as last season out in front with the same clubs in 5th to 10th without many points between them.

Most clubs are strong at home, so I think the key to which team finishes where will be away form. Taking Quins as an example, we typically win 8-10 home games but only something like 2 or 3 in the road. Add another couple of wins and some losing BPs last season and we might have even made the play-offs.

It could go either way for Sale and Gloucester. Both have made some decent signings but both are inconsistent. Northampton are the outlier for me. Their signings have been OK but losing Picamoles is a massive blow. He was huge for them last season and was a big factor in turning narrow victories in to narrow wins or picking up BPs or not. Without him, I don't see the small margins going in the favour.

Newcastle will have an exciting set of backs next season to back up some gritty forwards but as much as I like Richards as a coach, I don't see them improving on their 8th place last season.

My main takeaway from this thread is that almost everyone agrees that it will be super competitive in mid-table this season.

I see it as the same top four as last season out in front with the same clubs in 5th to 10th without many points between them.

Most clubs are strong at home, so I think the key to which team finishes where will be away form. Taking Quins as an example, we typically win 8-10 home games but only something like 2 or 3 in the road. Add another couple of wins and some losing BPs last season and we might have even made the play-offs.

It could go either way for Sale and Gloucester. Both have made some decent signings but both are inconsistent. Northampton are the outlier for me. Their signings have been OK but losing Picamoles is a massive blow. He was huge for them last season and was a big factor in turning narrow victories in to narrow wins or picking up BPs or not. Without him, I don't see the small margins going in the favour.

Newcastle will have an exciting set of backs next season to back up some gritty forwards but as much as I like Richards as a coach, I don't see them improving on their 8th place last season.
I'd be tempted to put Bath in the top 4 mix with the right signings, they'll win far more than they loose. As for Saints, rip it up and start again, Quins and Glous are the same team for me, good to watch, capable on their day to be fantastic or tragic plenty of quality in both squads. Sale potentially top 4 in the next 3 seasons IF the current signings gel and tight five is improved. The movers for me are Newcastle, perennial relegation candidates to quite easily mid table with some big scalps along the way, tempted to put a tenner on DTH Van Der Merwe to finish top try scorer....

I agree to a point on Bath. However, it really depends on whatever signings they're able to make over the next few weeks. As it stands, I think their squad isn't strong enough to put up a sustained challenge. Injuries and test call-ups would leave them very light, although Burns being around all season will be a bonus for them after an out-of-sorts, regularly absent Ford.

I'm not sure Newcastle will be as strong as you may think? They've made some good signings and I expect them to maintain their form from last season, but almost every club around them has strengthened too I don't see them being significantly better.

Thought I'd cheat & do my completely pointless table prediction in the middle of Week 2. :D

Saracens
Wasps
Bath
Leicester
Exeter
Harlequins
Sale
Worcester
Newcastle
Gloucester
Northampton
London Irish

Last edited:
Sarries
Wasps
Bath
Exeter
Leicester
Glos
Sale
Quins
Northampton
Newcastle
Worcester
London Irish

Sarries
Wasps
Bath
Exeter
Leicester
Glos
Sale
Quins
Northampton
Newcastle
Worcester
London Irish

Agree on all but 2 id swap worcester and Lirish. LIRISH wont claim many wins but they have attacking flair(especially in lewington) so could be picking up BP throughout the season amd already with a 5point quins scalp, i just think they have enough to edge out this worcester team. But time will tell.

1. Sarries...little no to no doubt
2. Wasps...same. easy second due to my next point

3.4.5. Bath Chiefs Tigers... Chiefs have alot of injuries so will have to mount the same attack as they did last season to get third ( second not out the question but yano). LCD,SHORT,WALDRON,SAM HILL, DEVOTO,HEPBURN. Taked away depth from key positions amd makes it harder.

Tigers havnt found their form and lost manu. If he is fit again this season then that combo

Youngs. Sniping
Ford. Late pass decent step gets on front foot.
Toomua or how ever you spell it. Second distributor and all round player
Manu. Powerful, draws a man and create space for the speedsters
May. Dont like the guy for england tbh but cant doubt his pace especially if manu creates the space
Vaianu( again spelling is not my strong point) quick good step not many can catch him if he breaks through

Manu out...dont know, big loss prob 5th

Bath strong back line. Injuries to props isnt helping. Hoping watson excells at 15 again. Englands future? Just saying.

Close battle between sarries and wasps

Close battle between Chiefs Bath and Tigers

And the rest is quite open tbh though your list is about what i think too, not sure where quins will end up if im honest

....Chiefs for champions again....wishful thinking from a Chiefs fan. :)

My go at this;

Wasps
Saracens
Bath
Chiefs
Leicester
Quins
Northampton
Gloucester
Sale
Newcastle
Worcester
L Irish

Couple of thoughts:
- There won't be much between Wasps and Saracens. Wasps will be picking up a lot of bonus points, but I reckon Saracens might actually win a few more games.
-Bath, Exeter and Leicester won't have much between them. I reckon this year won't be the Tigers though, they will build over the next few years IMO.
- I reckon Quins, Gloucester and Northampton have a bit more squad depth than Sale, hence higher than them but really not much in it at their best.
-Newcastle will kind of be on their own IMO, not as good as the teams above but better than Worcester and LI, who will be fighting it out. Injuries may well decide it.

How do your predictions change after the first 2 rounds, not all gone to plan so fair. Who would have guessed after 2 rounds champions Chiefs and european champions Saracens would have both lost 1 match and Tigers who many thought were one to watch this season wouldnt have won yet. Falcons in second and Tigers in 11th.

I am fully aware its round one and the teams will get into gear so the top teams emerge on top. But does these first 2 rounds change anyones season predictions?.

I had

Sarries
Wasps
Chiefs tigers bath, fighting it out

Now i kind of think

Sarries
Wasps
Chiefs. Bath, fighting 3rd 4th
Saints tigers fighting for 5th 6th
Quins sale newcastle. Foghting for 7th 8th 9th
10 Gloucester (tbh dont knoe where these will end up)
Lirish worcester. Fighting to stay, not sure who wins but so far Lirish have a 5point scalp of quins.

I always knew my prediction for Quins was ambitious, but if anything results show far underline that any team in the league can pick up decent wins on their day. The most important things is consistency. The teams that pick up points even when they're not playing well will be at the top of the table.

I stand by most of my predictions but London Irish are proving me wrong so far. The relegation battle looks as though it will be a lot closer than I thought.

You start to get an idea of how the season might be shaping up after Week 7 or 8, not Week 2!

You start to get an idea of how the season might be shaping up after Week 7 or 8, not Week 2!

Totally agree 100% and as i said i know its only week 2, but this is the pointless prediction thread and opinions will form after week 2.

Tigers are the big on for me. They look same as last season, good players top team and can beat anyone but just dont to seem to have that ruthless edge to challenge the top 3 , i might be proved wrong through the season but if bath keep form (and roko) my initial impression is they wont make the top 4 :)

Absolute no idea on table except Sarries will be in top 2 and Worcester or Irish will depart.
Everything else up for grabs.

Early days yet, but Simmonds would have to be a pretty fair bet for an England 8 jersey...

Latest posts