• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Premiership 2006-2007

G

getofmeland

As today is the day that the Premiership fixtures get announced it is about time for a new thread for the new premiership...

You can talk about the latest transfers, the fixtures, relegation and winners of the league...

I shall post up a link to the fixtures when they are announced later today..

The Fixture list can be found here

The Opening Day Fixtures:

Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00
Bolton v Tottenham, 15:00
Chelsea v Man City, 15:00
Everton v Watford, 15:00
Man Utd v Fulham, 15:00
Newcastle v Wigan, 15:00
Portsmouth v Blackburn, 15:00
Reading v Middlesbrough, 15:00
Sheff Utd v Liverpool, 15:00
West Ham v Charlton, 15:00

With the Newcomers in the Premiership having a couple of tough games... We see Sheffield United play Liverpool at home, which will be an intresting fixture, Watford face a journey to Everton and Reading face Middlesbrough at the Madjeski..

Bit of a flat reaction to this what with the seriousness of Michael Owen's injury, looks like he may be out for up to a year and in some quarters even mentioning a possible end to his career.

Fat Freddy is mouthing off alright, whether it gets him anywhere is debateable, he does have a point for once though.

As for the fixtures, no real stand out one for the opening weekend.

I must say it will be a shame to see Owen's career ended, but with an injury such as he sustained, it will be difficult/impossible for him to get back to his old self, the thing with Owen is his pace was the key strength in his game, he never really had many other strengths...

But I agree that there has to be something done in terms of compensation for clubs who have a player injured while playing for their national team... Look at Liverpool's position, we are unable to sell Cisse cos he broke his leg, so a player that was on his way out in the summer will now be sat doing nothing for 6 months waiting for the transfer window to open while the club pays his wages for a doing nothing... Fifa make far too much money, and its about time a plan got set up, to compensate clubs...

Newcastle will have to buy another striker, I feel for this year they need to, especially after losing Shearer now...

Cisse is all set for a quick recovery and is meant to be going on loan to Marseille within the next few weeks, supposedly.

I wish Owen all the best but I'll be stunned if he's ever his old self again. He might seriously consider packing it in.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jun 23 2006, 08:16 AM
Cisse is all set for a quick recovery and is meant to be going on loan to Marseille within the next few weeks, supposedly.

I wish Owen all the best but I'll be stunned if he's ever his old self again. He might seriously consider packing it in.
figured i'd liven this thread up a tad

anyhow i agree, he should pack it up.. he's had hist time.. he's made his money, maybe it is time for him to retire and not set himself up for a potentially long term injury that could last longer than his career and the rest of his life..

alright here guys

lets predict our top 4 this year and our relegated 3

My Top 4 (in order):
Chelsea- Got to say they had a killer off season, and without losing close to anything, i think they will repeat
Liverpool- Also a good off season, but i think it will come down to the wire with Chelsea getting the better by a couple of points
Arsenal- Getting older? Yes. Still good? of course.
Manchester United- Despite rumors of Ronaldo wanting out they still have incredible fire power throughout the lineup.

My Relegated 3:
Portsmouth- They barely escaped relegation last year, whos to say it will be any diferent this year?
Watfod- Just can't see this playoff winner doing much in the prem. this year
Sheff Utd- Same as watford, i can't see them doing much against the prem super powers..

Top 4
Liverpool - This is our year to really challenge Chelsea
Chelsea - They are a strong team with a lot of depth, but feel they will concentrate more on champs league also performances did slip last season compared to previous ones.
Arsenal - Feel the youth coming through will be the impact with Walcott shining this year
Tottenham - Very Strong squad, seem to be getting better year on year, there could be plenty of teams challenging this year.

Bottom 3
Middlesborough - They still have a strong team but feel they will struggle losing steve mclaren, Gareth Southgate will not perform as a manager, he will be out of a job by christmas I feel.
Shefield United - Cant see them being another wigan, they will lack depth in their squad and struggle to win.
Watford - a team based around a lot of experience with potential, their legs could be their downfall

DC Portsmouth have millions to spend. Had he returned to them a bit earlier I don't see why Redknapp couldn't have got them into Europe.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jul 11 2006, 05:55 PM
DC Portsmouth have millions to spend. Had he returned to them a bit earlier I don't see why Redknapp couldn't have got them into Europe.
true but that havent spent much of that millions as of yet.. ;)

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jul 12 2006, 04:42 AM
Wigan Athletic Latics - hilarious DC! :lol:
you better watch it.. they'll come into fortress anfield and beat you boys :lol: :p

next seasons epl, will be intense, i again expect chelsea to set the pace but to be followed more closely by united,liverpool and arsenal.

i believe sides like spurs and newcastle will challenge for cl place.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jul 12 2006, 08:21 AM
next seasons epl, will be intense, i again expect chelsea to set the pace but to be followed more closely by united,liverpool and arsenal.

i believe sides like spurs and newcastle will challenge for cl place.
Hope your right about Liverpool. There my team!!! Maybe now they can buy that broken-ass Michael Owen back. :lol:

Originally posted by DC13@Jul 11 2006, 08:18 PM
and dan... who go to the carling cup final last year ;)
I'm just laughing at the fact that you use the name "Latics" which is their nickname at the end of their name.

Although it annoys me when people call St Helens The St Helens Saints. :rahh:

you guys see most/all of the new EPL kits for this year

there sure are some nice ones.. Liverpools and Arsenals were both very nice.. liverpool's home and euro are so nice..

lol hate to say it but manchester united look pretty shitty with that stupid ass white badge around their logo..

can't wait to see wigan's new kits, their away kits could use some work.. but the home blue and whites were so nice.. not sure if i want to see them change..

Latest posts