• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The QFs!

I was made to realize today how utterly dumb the knockout scheduling is for the URC. So if Glasgow beats Leinster, then the winner of the Bulls vs Sharks game needs to travel to Glasgow even though Glasgow is much lower on the log at the lowest seed in the Knockout.

If Edinburgh beats Stormers then they get the home semi, even though they are lower ranked than both Ulster and Munster.
Yeah, I agree that it's silly.

Keep it simple by rewarding log position. Higher seed hosts k/o match.

Otherwise you confuse everyone and you devalue the round-robin. Teams must earn a home playoff, adds more excitement (look at the final round of URC and how exciting it was to see the 8 teams jostling for better positions to gain a home quarter-final)

If both the away teams win on one side of the SF, who host the SF game then?
The team that was in the quarter final with the higher ranked opposition. So either Leinster/Glasgow or Stormers/Edinburgh will be hosting semis. It's a bit weird.

View attachment 14025
Would have gone for Harry myself. More than enough for Glasgow I reckon.

We could really do with Russell or Smith establishing themselves I think. Do like this team though big and athletic pack with a skillful backline. Agree on preferring Harry to start but hopefully Ross puts in a big one after his errors last week.

Glasgow Warriors (v Leinster at RDS Arena, Saturday 3.15pm): O Smith; J McKay, S Tuipulotu, S Johnson, R McLean; R Thompson, A Price; J Bhatti, G Turner, Z Fagerson, R Harley, R Gray, R Wilson (captain), G Brown, J Dempsey.

Substitutes: F Brown, O Kebble, S Berghan, L Bean, K McDonald, T Gordon, G Horne, D Miotti.

Fagerson and Price are the only ones in the XV I'd have in a Scottish 23. Danny Wilson has done well but this would be little short of a miracle.

Edinburgh (v Stormers at DHL Stadium, Saturday 6.00pm): E Boffelli; D Graham, M Bennett, C Dean, D Hoylsnd; B Kinghorn, H Pyrgos; P Schoeman, D Cherry, W Nel, J Hodgson, G Gilchrist (captain), L Crosbie, H Watson, M Bradbury.

Substitutes: A McBurney H Courtney, L Atalifo, M Sykes, B Muncaster, C Shiel, J van der Walt, J Lang.

Stormers: W Gelant; S Senatla, R Nel, R Pretorius, L Zas; M Libbok, H Jantjies; S Kitshoff (captain), J Kotze, F Malherbe, S Moerat, M Orie, D Fourie, H Dayimani, E Roos.

Substitutes: A Venter, B Harris, N Fouche, A Smith, E van Rhyn, N Xaba, G Masimla, S Mngomezulu

As I said, with Moyano and Ritchie I'd have had confidence for Edinburgh to do a job, even away from home. I think Stormers will win by about 8 if Edinburgh take forward the improved form from last time out.

If Edinburgh go back into the coma that almost saw them lose at home to Zebre they'll take a drubbing and it'll be over after 25mins.

Were they singing the French anthem to make fun of Leinster? I find it funny and sad in equal measure if so.

Two dodgy tries cancelling each other out.

The ball seems to have gone backwards, even though it separated, he then grounds it

Ulster is showing again they are a team who can quickly inflate the score.

Were they singing the French anthem to make fun of Leinster? I find it funny and sad in equal measure if so.

Two dodgy tries cancelling each other out.

Nope. It's a song about the opposition knocking the ball on sung to that tune - has been sung all season.

Great match to be at. Ulster played well but Munster were really poor. Huge amount of knock ons and unforced errors. If Carberry is Irelands seconds best 10 we're in big trouble, he had an awful game.

Massive games from Hume and Balacoune. Burns had a great game too. In the forwards I thought O'Toole played well.

So if Edinburgh manage to somehow beat the Stormers, they get the home Semi? Not sure if my brain is working here but that doesn't seem very fair does it considering they finished 4 places behind us..?

Was good to see Baloucoune being used a lot off his wing on strike moves last night. He's so dangerous in those deep moves sweeping in behind and attacking the 13 channel late. Hope he gets a start this summer, his pace is really something we've been missing, as good as our wingers have been.

Nope. It's a song about the opposition knocking the ball on sung to that tune - has been sung all season.

Great match to be at. Ulster played well but Munster were really poor. Huge amount of knock ons and unforced errors. If Carberry is Irelands seconds best 10 we're in big trouble, he had an awful game.

Massive games from Hume and Balacoune. Burns had a great game too. In the forwards I thought O'Toole played well.
I'd give JC the benefit of the doubt last night purely because of how God awful Murray was. I've never been on the Cooney bus but there was only one player with 9 on his back last night who deserves a trip to NZ

Happy to see Munster pumped and Ulster looking bang on form. We need teams in the semis who can potentially go all the way and Ulster have shown that in glimpses this season whereas Munster have not. I hope Munster take a step up with their new coaching setup next season.

On a tangent, are the Irish union intentionally putting their wingers on the 'big boys' diet? Zebo, Lowe and now Earles all look about 3 or 4 stone heavier than 4 or 5 years ago and I'm thinking this can't be a coincidence. For me there is no substitute for pace on the wing at international level but maybe you can get away with it if you have at least one fast winger and a fast fullback.

Happy to see Munster pumped and Ulster looking bang on form. We need teams in the semis who can potentially go all the way and Ulster have shown that in glimpses this season whereas Munster have not. I hope Munster take a step up with their new coaching setup next season.

On a tangent, are the Irish union intentionally putting their wingers on the 'big boys' diet? Zebo, Lowe and now Earles all look about 3 or 4 stone heavier than 4 or 5 years ago and I'm thinking this can't be a coincidence. For me there is no substitute for pace on the wing at international level but maybe you can get away with it if you have at least one fast winger and a fast fullback.

Can't say I noticed Earls as looking bigger. Zebo definitely ballooned a bit but most of that happened in Paris and I'm pretty sure I read an article from Lowe saying he'd lost weight before this season so I wouldn't say there's a directed tactic.

Latest posts