• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The QFs!

Think we were clearly the better side despite.. everything. But if we are as inaccurate vs Ulster that'd be all she wrote. Missed Willemse at 12. Hoped to see Pretorius in tandem with Roos for more of a power game but he hardly got a shot. I assume Du Plessis is also unavailable. Not sure where our 23 came from. Bit of a tough ask and it actually wasn't all bad. Line-out continues to be our Achilles heel.

I said after the Stormers Ulster game we'll see each other again. Now to set the record straight.
Willemse's absence wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Gelant and Libbok did well to create opportunities. But the finishing could be better all around. Solid scrum.

Lineouts need serious work. I also wasn't impressed with how they, at times, didn't take the high-ball cleanly.

Evan Roos is playing like a man possessed... carries and tackles like a machine. Difficult to bring down with his "tackle-fight'. A true menace to all opposition.

Edinburgh did well to stay in the fight but their set pieces didn't function as well once the replacements came on. They have a very good scramble defense that never gives up. The coaches have a decent side and have something to work with next season.

The Kinghorn and Hamish assisted tries for the Stormers were tragic, but it sounds like we were second best on the day regardless. I could grumble about Moyano and Ritchie missing but Willemse's absence levelled that out somewhat.

Edinburgh were a semifinal side in my opinion that just went walkabout around the 6N, took too long to get back on track (possibly due to coaching inexperience) and got eliminated in part from picking up a poor seeding.

A very disappointing season all told and with Bradbury and Moyano leaving and a general lack of depth I'm not sure it'll get any easier next year despite the positives of a promising new coach and a tidy new stadium.

I think Ulster will give the Stormers a coin flip.

What is the logic in taking a potentially brilliant back 3 player and playing him as a mediocre 10?

Kinghorn has been ruined.

We knew Glasgow wasn't going to beat Leinster. But my goodness, Leinster's a steamroller with a turbocharger. :eek:

Made the playoffs so I'm grateful for that. We Are Warriors!

1654389188116.png

Last edited:
Edinburgh I felt had a lot going in their favor (better aerial game and line-out and I also felt that Ngomezuma was if at least not an outright weak link, not instrumental in anything good we did). That said we left a lot of try scoring opportunities go begging. Credit I suppose in part to good scrambling from Edinburgh. Even at 10-10 a win felt inevitable to me Edinburgh found it that hard to break us down apart from the two back to back penalties and good attacking maul for their 1st try obviously.

That said Ulster will be a huge step up and we can't afford not to convert our opportunities. At best we are 50/50 chances with home advantage and assuming we will have an actual center (or Willemse?) playing at 12. If Willemse or Pretorius isn't available we should see Du Plessis coming in. I had a rant earlier in the year about how we have a raft of decent centers but no world class ones. I suppose we are in a good position in that Du Plessis is a fair enough replacement at 12 if we have to go 3/4 players deep there. Hooker is my main concern along with Jantjies' lack of impact this season and De Wet's injury at 9.

If Willemse or Pretorius isn't available we should see Du Plessis coming in. I had a rant earlier in the year about how we have a raft of decent centers but no world class ones. I suppose we are in a good position in that Du Plessis is a fair enough replacement at 12 if we have to go 3/4 players deep there.

Doesn't sound like it to me based on latest articles. Seems they are concerned playing Du Plessis given he has been out for a long time with no game time, so suggestion is that Juan De Jongh is coming back up.

Doesn't sound like it to me based on latest articles. Seems they are concerned playing Du Plessis given he has been out for a long time with no game time, so suggestion is that Juan De Jongh is coming back up.
Oy. I thought De Jongh was brought back for some experience for CC only. TBF I suppose Du Plessis plays his best rugby at 13. I'd hate to move Nel from 13 where he is having one of his best seasons if we ignore a few glaring disciplinary issues. I'm just going to hope one of Willemse or Pretorius are going to be fit. We'll need every bit of small positives vs Ulster. Small margins on and off the field will add up and need them all in our favor if we are to make the final.

Its not as if lack of game time at a high level kept our selectors from putting that young guy- I'm going to butcher his name now, sorry, Mgomezula.. right into the mix. I'd bet my last cent Du Plessis would've been a lot more influential. Maybe drop the 6/2 split in favor of having experience and quality replacements on the bench for the backs.

Latest posts