• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Sharks: 2012

Bosman and JP could be a very good midfield pairing, provided JP doesn't go for walkabouts like Terblanche did.
Hopefully Marais and Bresler will be involved over Hargreaves, they both impress me whenever they play.

Sharks probably have the strongest starting team of the 5 SA conferences but they lack depth in crucial positions. With John Smit gone and Beast injured for 3 months the Sharks may struggle up front come the end of the season. Also, Sharks have bought Tim Whitehead but still lack depth at centre. With Conrad Hoffman also out for a a couple of weeks with an injury the scrum half berth looks slim. Michalak can play there but that means Pat Lambie will be fly half with Meyer Bosman as back up. JPP may have to be thrown into the deep end at worst case.

Also feel that Jean Deysel, Willem Alberts and Ryan Kankowski are your best loose forwards. So making Keegan captain puts an immidiate handicap on the starting line-up.
FFT?!

Yes, we might struggle in the front-row because we have to use young talent, but the backrow is just BS, what you are indicating. Yes, Kanko, Deysel and Alberts are good players but none of them can play openside. For that position we have Daniel and Botes. On top of that, our best loose forward is still Marcell Coetzee ;)

Alberts, Deysel, and Kankowski are pretty limited players. Alberts and Deysel will just bash around the rucks all day, while Kankowski is only suited to dry conditions jogging along in the backline. Coetzee is a great young lad with a bright future. Pieter Steph du Toit has done very well on the flank and could also be an option.

Julian Redelinghuys has suffered an ankle injury, not sure how long he will be out for.
Tendai is already out for a few weeks, so after Dale Chadwick we have no backup, unless we choose to bring in Allan Dell.

Sharks coach John Plumtree says his team are ready to begin a "new era" in the Sharks' rugby history when they kick-off the new Super Rugby campaign later this week.

The Durban union has lost several of its stalwarts with captain John Smit, as well as veteran backs Stefan Terblanche and Adrian Jacobs, leaving.

The mantle has now been passed on to the next generation with Plumtree agreeing it was a fresh start for everyone.

"It's definitely (a new era now)," Plumtree said on Tuesday.

"That happens naturally, there's always that transition. Certainly if you look at our camp, you see players that have been groomed by those senior players that have left. The tradition's the same with us. It's just the baton that gets handed over to other players to lead."

The Sharks boss paid homage to the new leaders of his group, captain Keegan Daniel and his deputy Bismarck du Plessis.

"I must say that Keegan and Bismarck in particular have really taken to it and the rest of the players are pitching in and helping out. It's making my job easier as well, which is great."

The Sharks play three-time winners, the Bulls, in their campaign opener at Loftus on Friday - a match Plumtree expected to be "just as difficult as it may have been in the past", despite the Pretoria outfit themselves losing many key figures.

"They have got some really nice backs and have recruited well. I'm sure they'll play with some width when they get that opportunity and that fast ball that we see from them.

"There'll be a lot of collisions to look out for around the rucks and a lot of driving mauls to look after. I'm sure they'll try and wear us out up front, so we've got to be up for that."

Plumtree refused to divulge too much of what his team would look like, but gave a strong indication that Springbok winger JP Pietersen will debut at outside centre. The match squad is set to be named on Wednesday.

"All I can say is that I'm really excited about JP in the midfield," he said.

Another Bok wide-man, Odwa Ndungane, is likely to miss out due to a shoulder problem, while two unnamed backs have minor injuries.

Plumtree added that he expected several injuries in what is an extended competition compared to previous seasons.

"I think it's a case of just managing that wear and tear. We've got some good depth in our loose forwards, the locks, up front with the props and the backs as well. We will rest players, we'll have to," Plumtree said.

"I think it's 11 rounds before our bye, so it's a long time. We'll have to make sure we keep this group as fresh as possible."

http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=33926

Interesting piece to read. Very curious to see how things will work out now that the vets have left. Bismarck du Plessis is the most promising, despite his age, he is still considered a prospect due to Smit being ahead of him all these years.

Yes, we might struggle in the front-row because we have to use young talent, but the backrow is just BS, what you are indicating. Yes, Kanko, Deysel and Alberts are good players but none of them can play openside. For that position we have Daniel and Botes. On top of that, our best loose forward is still Marcell Coetzee ;)

Marcel Coetzee cost the Sharks the opportunity to win the game tonight. Sharks may be in more trouble than I anticipated and noted in my previous post above. Stormers stole three crucial lineouts in the 2nd half and the Stormers destroyed the Sharks come scrum time. As much as you disagree with me I still think that Alberts and Deysel will have better impact than Daniels (too small and ill-disciplined) and Botes (too small).

It's official guys! Ross Skeate is off to France and won't be bothering us with his poor performances in the lock position! Now all we need is Sykes to bugger off (to play for the Falcons or something) and we're set.

We will have a bunch of nippers vying for the second row positions. Bresler, du Toit, Marais Jan Andre and Peet.
Ross Skeate is the forward equivalent of Meyer Bosman. One or two decent matches and we think he's turned a corner and then a dire match, so we are back to square one.

Sharks team to play John Smit's Invitation XV this Friday:
15 Louis Ludik, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 Tim Whitehead, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Sibusiso Sithole, 10 Riaan Viljoen, 9 Charl McLeod (vice captain), 8 Lubabalo Mtembu, 7 Jean Deysel (captain), 6 Francois Kleinhans, 5 Anton Bresler, 4 Jandre Marais, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Craig Burden, 1 Dale Chadwick
16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Julian Redelinghuys, 18 Peet Marais, 19 Chris Cloete, 20 Cobus Reinach, 21 Gouws Prinsloo, 22 Rosco Speckman

I am a bit disappointed with our inside backs, I would have given Hoffman/Reinach a starting spot with the other on the bench. Also would have liked to see Fred Zeilinga somewhere. Chris Cloete and Francois Kleinhans will be the two I am most eager to see. I much prefer a Botes-style openside than an Alberts/Coetzee openside.

Brent Russell apparently skinned Sithole.
32 years old, but who is counting? :D

Brent Russel was certainly the best player in the Barney's Army team! The Sharks won't at all be worse off with him back...

The highlight of the game for me was when John Smit had a kick at goal, not placing the ball on a tee, but directly on the grass, took 2 steps back, posed as Percy used to do with his hands in prayer-like and then putting the ball between the sticks... Brilliant and Hilarious!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Brent Russel was certainly the best player in the Barney's Army team! The Sharks won't at all be worse off with him back...

The highlight of the game for me was when John Smit had a kick at goal, not placing the ball on a tee, but directly on the grass, took 2 steps back, posed as Percy used to do with his hands in prayer-like and then putting the ball between the sticks... Brilliant and Hilarious!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I really haven't enjoyed a match this much in a long time.
Russell... pure class. Smit is a legend, and Lawrence-Campostagno was cringeworthy and hilarious.

I didn't see a replay of the second Smit con, but did it go over???

Latest posts