• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

screwed into carbon fibre. Everyone knew how that should have ended. Incredibly sad tale that should have been easily avoidable.

Rush sounding like the Trump of the Submersible world. Every time he was challenged he would just get his lawyers to threaten them or fire any of those at OceanGate who raised serious concerns.

All very well saying regulations get in the way of innovation, but pioneers of the past didn't generally take other people to the grave with them and make them pay for the pleasure.

All very well saying regulations get in the way of innovation, but pioneers of the past didn't generally take other people to the grave with them and make them pay for the pleasure.
Well they didn't make them pay but pioneers of the past absolutely took people to the graves.

Regulations don't get in the way of innovation only an idiot who has never worked in an industry would say that. My experience is regulatory bodies are there to ensure you've built something correctly very rarely do they get in the way.

There's also the simple fact that nothing is stopping them building it and being innovative. However, there is a big difference between testing and putting to commercial use. It's the commercial use that is the issue, not the being innovative bit.

There's also the simple fact that nothing is stopping them building it and being innovative. However, there is a big difference between testing and putting to commercial use. It's the commercial use that is the issue, not the being innovative bit.
Yup we banged together a really innovative system in a month. Has taken us years since to turn it into a real product. The biggest barrier is less regulation in a highly regulated space but corperate overloads.

This, if he wanted to put his own life in danger that's one thing, he knowingly endangered the lives other others.

There's also caveat emptor applying to those who went. The ST reporting that Hamish Harding's friend, who is a deep sea pilot, specifically warned him not to go into that ***an sub because of concerns with the design. He chose to take the risk and ignored him. Sending him a text that he was going down in the ***an and that was the last he heard from him. Regulation can only do so much if someone is hell bent on taking their chances.

There's also caveat emptor applying to those who went. The ST reporting that Hamish Harding's friend, who is a deep sea pilot, specifically warned him not to go into that ***an sub because of concerns with the design. He chose to take the risk and ignored him. Sending him a text that he was going down in the ***an and that was the last he heard from him. Regulation can only do so much if someone is hell bent on taking their chances.
Surely any of this would depend on the jurisdiction under which any legal challenges are brought. My understanding of English law is that you can't simply discharge yourself of your legal responsibilities by requesting that somebody signs a piece of paper saying that they discharge you of them.

Presumably, a shoddy company like this would base itself somewhere where the risk of legal consequences of their delinquency are much lower and sail under a flag of convenience that provides similar protection.

Surely any of this would depend on the jurisdiction under which any legal challenges are brought. My understanding of English law is that you can't simply discharge yourself of your legal responsibilities by requesting that somebody signs a piece of paper saying that they discharge you of them.

Presumably, a shoddy company like this would base itself somewhere where the risk of legal consequences of their delinquency are much lower and sail under a flag of convenience that provides similar protection.
It's in international waters though regardless of what they signed.

I am sure there will be lawsuits against OceanGate though.

It's in international waters though regardless of what they signed.

I am sure there will be lawsuits against OceanGate though.
It can get very complex though. In a completely different sphere GDPR count because you are an EU citizen your rights don't change based on where you are. Similar for many other rights, being in international waters isn't as lawless as some people like the make out.

Last edited:
It can get very complex though. In a completely diffrent sphere GDPR count because you are an EU citizen your rights dont change. Similar for many other rights being in international waters isn't as lawless as some people like the make out.
jack sparrow running GIF

It can get very complex though. In a completely diffrent sphere GDPR count because you are an EU citizen your rights dont change. Similar for many other rights being in international waters isn't as lawless as some people like the make out.
Yes that is where the complexity arises which jurisdiction's laws apply? It's out on open water.

Like pirates hijacking other boats sailing around the world.

GDPR is about protection of an individual's private data so I don't see how that is relevant. This is about them voluntarily waiving any right to sue or confirming they knew the risks. I am sure the billionaire british national and French national/explorer knew the risks, but the other two?

Yes that is where the complexity arises which jurisdiction's laws apply? It's out on open water.

Like pirates hijacking other boats sailing around the world.

GDPR is about protection of an individual's private data so I don't see how that is relevant. This is about them voluntarily waiving any right to sue or confirming they knew the risks. I am sure the billionaire british national and French national/explorer knew the risks, but the other two?
GDPR was still an example but as noted previously in the UK you can't sign away those rights now matter how much you knew beforehand if the party asking you to sign away those rights is doing proper due diligence to mitigate those risks. Now what I don't know is if the UK will still protect you from that malpractice if you are in a different country and they'll bring you trial as your crime was against a UK citizen.

Now what I don't know is if the UK will still protect you from that malpractice if you are in a different country and they'll bring you trial as your crime was against a UK citizen.
Well no, the UK won't be able to bring a malpractice as you call it against Stockton Rush or OceanGate on behalf of Hamish Harding or the Daewood father and son. Their heirs would likely have to sue OceanGate through the American courts.

The UK would only be able to prosecute a British citizen for crimes they have committed abroad which is illegal in this country. See Gary Glitter as an example.

And the ICO are powerless to prosecute firms abroad. I should know, I have been receiving cold calls likely rerouted to the UK for the last 4 years and they have done FA despite repeatedly reporting and complaining to them.

Probably reasonable to say there was at least one civilisation in one those galaxies going through this at the time.

Looking into the face of Armageddon - I can't imagine what that would be like. Unless they had somehow found a way to travel intergalactic (never mind interstellar) space.

Incredible

The biggest tech fumble ever?
Yahoo over paying for Tumblr and then banning NSFW content is up there but muskrat paid out 40x as much

Edit:
Contract ended June 30th - everything about this is ridiculous

Last edited:
No surprise that OceanGate have suspended all their activities.

Apparently there is an unsubstantiated transcript of the sub's conversation with the mothership that an alarm had been triggered and they were aborting the dive and attempting to resurface, which leads me to think the occupants would would likely have heard the hull cracking before it imploded.

Latest posts