• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

Guess this explains why he's been going nuts on twitter and saying the liberals are going after him

So will be keeping my petrol car for a while yet.
Yes. Keeping a hold of your current car is probably sensible environmentally and financially. It's about the next purchase. That article is poor in relying on ICE car manufacturers to provide information on when an electric car becomes environmentally beneficial (it's around 7,000 miles, so why not report that rather than say ICE manufacturer won't say?).

Guess this explains why he's been going nuts on twitter and saying the liberals are going after him

Its the same old story. Free speech for the rich (and often racist) is worth dying for, but the plebs can have non-disclosure agreements!

Yes. Keeping a hold of your current car is probably sensible environmentally and financially. It's about the next purchase. That article is poor in relying on ICE car manufacturers to provide information on when an electric car becomes environmentally beneficial (it's around 7,000 miles, so why not report that rather than say ICE manufacturer won't say?).
I did 2000 miles since my last service and that was 2 years ago. Lol. Keep getting laughed at whenever I get my car serviced for how low my mileage is. But just haven't needed to use the car that much.

So yes, no way an electric car is suitable for my needs yet. Still, paying in excess of £1.53 per litre where I am for petrol hurts when I fill up.

So yeah no where near 5 or even 7k miles annually to make it worth while. Still I walk locally far more since Covid so that being a lot more kinder to the environment than buying electric until my current car is run into the ground.

I think the article gives an idea rather than being entirely accurate. The whole buying electric is totally friendly when it dodges the whole - that charging the thing will be using electricity produced from fossil fuels as well as the carbon footprint making the car itself, until you drive it a certain mileage to overcome the initial cost. Bloody smug EV owners.

Until 2030 most cars will still have a combustible engine.

Bruh, I need to live where you live - I just paid £1.69
Costco. If you have one near you become a member or befriend someone who is. I just borrow my sister's card. It's about 6-7p cheaper than sainsburys and Asda's.

Costco. If you have one near you become a member or befriend someone who is. I just borrow my sister's card. It's about 6-7p cheaper than sainsburys and Asda's.
Didn't even know they did petrol!
Nearest one to me is about 35min drive, sadly

Didn't even know they did petrol!
Nearest one to me is about 35min drive, sadly
Got one down the road from me and they only put petrol pumps in the last year or so. Checking prices it's more like 5p per litre. But still a good saving.

I did 2000 miles since my last service and that was 2 years ago. Lol. Keep getting laughed at whenever I get my car serviced for how low my mileage is. But just haven't needed to use the car that much.

So yes, no way an electric car is suitable for my needs yet. Still, paying in excess of £1.53 per litre where I am for petrol hurts when I fill up.

So yeah no where near 5 or even 7k miles annually to make it worth while. Still I walk locally far more since Covid so that being a lot more kinder to the environment than buying electric until my current car is run into the ground.

I think the article gives an idea rather than being entirely accurate. The whole buying electric is totally friendly when it dodges the whole - that charging the thing will be using electricity produced from fossil fuels as well as the carbon footprint making the car itself, until you drive it a certain mileage to overcome the initial cost. Bloody smug EV owners.

Until 2030 most cars will still have a combustible engine.
Incase I wasnt clear. Its 7,000 miles total at which an EV becomes less polluting, not per annum. The fact that the UK still persists with roughly 40% of electricity coming from fossil fuels isn't an indictment of EVs, it's an indictment of successive governments that are all mouth and no trousers when it comes to the environment.

I'm not trolling you but to be concerned about Covid's impact on peoples health but not so concerned about vehicle emissions impact on folks health is not entirely consistent. And that's taking the environment out of the equation. Kids in cities in China and India might now grow up now learning that the natural colour of the sky is blue.

I don't have an EV, but if someone wants to pay a bit extra up front on their motor because they care about the environment (rather than blowing it on an unnecessary home 'improvement') then I'd salute that.

Crypto has entered an almost cult like status among some people, and I say that as someone who put a bit into it. All through history people pump money they can't afford to lose into "get rich quick" schemes and get burned. I lost a bit on crypto but ultimately I could afford to lose it, it's more a pain in the arse than a life changing situation.

A combination of people pumping everything into crypto and being mortgaged up to their eyeballs, along with the cost of living crisis... We could be heading into one hell of a mess.

I'd never invest in anything more risky than a DOW tracker or something (actually, I'd never even do that). You can in theory make a comparable amount much more safely by investing in other people's offset mortgages (but that relies on massive trust and banks did take steps to tighten up on that a bit). Property is another obvious option but then govenments may take an unpredictable step (such as restricting Air BnB, as is being mooted in Edinburgh) and that could slump the market.

If it's a life of leisure you are looking for then 'get rich quick' should be off the menu because we are fortunate enough to live in times when there are options like this below (again not one I take but it does appear sound).

Essentially, if you can save 25x your annual estimated expenditure you can stop working if you are happy to reduce your carbon footprint and live frugally. I like to keep my eye in with a job but if anyone is finding the 5 day week a grind and is in a fortunate enough position financially then the whole acceptance of part time working by employers (essentially for maternity purposes) has opened the door if you do decide that life is too short to continue waiting for the mythical 4 day working to arrive.

I love the copium of r/bitcoin. Some of them are so close to being aware of their future. They say that all the issues with the bitcoin also exist with regular currency so therefore is just another currency. Well hello, there is a reason that people don't keep their money in cash; it doesn't have any growth after a certain point. Once the crypto bubble bursts bitcoin will just stagnate at its equilibrium point as a currency and not as a half baked investment.

Just blatantly trying to tank Tesla stock now

Yep and then buy it up again. He must be done for market manipulation soon... Then again, if you are rich enough, you can get away with anything.

That article is poor in relying on ICE car manufacturers to provide information on when an electric car becomes environmentally beneficial (it's around 7,000 miles, so why not report that rather than say ICE manufacturer won't say?).
Do you have links to the work that determined 7k miles?

Interested in how they've reconciled the limited battery shelf life with the (rather less) limited ICE life.
(i.e. a reasonably maintained 15 year old engine will have no problem delivering 90% of car range* while new. But a battery pack would be nowhere near that - so its not quite apples to apples. Maybe oranges vs satsumas)

*Might lose a bit of torque and power - but usually fuel consumption won't change that much unless something's borked.

Do you have links to the work that determined 7k miles?

Interested in how they've reconciled the limited battery shelf life with the (rather less) limited ICE life.
(i.e. a reasonably maintained 15 year old engine will have no problem delivering 90% of car range* while new. But a battery pack would be nowhere near that - so its not quite apples to apples. Maybe oranges vs satsumas)

*Might lose a bit of torque and power - but usually fuel consumption won't change that much unless something's borked.

7k estimate

Also, guys that actually know what they are doing with batteries (as opposed to ICE manufacturers trying to dabble with batteries) are making pretty crazy strides.

Latest posts