• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

I've always had a bit of a feeling that EVs were an interim technology.

I thought the main issue with Hydrogen is it's storage. It's the smallest element and massively corrosive if I recall.

Even Hydrogen I have my doubts with the different types. Green being the cleanest but most expensive to produce.

Personally I think as RA says solid state batteries will be the next step because of the weight. Bit like with hard drives.

But the ability to recycle the batteries will also be a big factor.

Last edited:
Even Hydrogen I have my doubts with the different types. Green being the cleanest but most expensive to produce.

Personally I think as RA says solid state batteries will be the next step because of the weight. Bit like with hard drives.

But ability recycle the batteries will also be a big factor.
Yeah I think battery materials technology is due a breakthrough at some point to make it out of more easily accessible materials.

But ability recycle the batteries will also be a big factor.
Tbh, improvements in recycling and longevity of products would make a huge impact. The amount of waste just to have the latest product or because items have been designed to fail is appalling. Mobile phones are a prime example of this.

The lifespan of the batteries used in EV's are a major concern to me. I don't see how an EV can be justifiably kept on the road once the batteries deplete below a useful capacity level. I've not checked if it's even possible to replace the entire battery pack in something like a Tesla, but even if it is/could in the future, who would want to spend the likely cost on an ageing car?

Coming from someone who runs an 'old' car (20y/o), I know the sort of wear and tear that all components experience over time. There's still issues with rust that's very difficult to avoid in the UK climate. Now if I had to replace the engine to keep my car going I'd certainly consider it, but that would be by sourcing a used engine. If that decision involved getting a brand new engine costing £8k+ (hypothetical) then the car would be at the scrap dealers the same day! That 'used' option isn't really there for batteries, as used batteries (unless sourced from a low mile write off) will have depleted capacity, affecting the usability of the car.

Will this change with different battery tech? Possibly, but unlikely imo. So if we go for an all EV approach, we also have to accept the max lifespan of all cars to be around 10 years at best, probably lower for cars clocking up average miles. Personally, that's not ideal, as the rest of the car would have at least a 15 year lifespan.

Atkinson's claim of a £15k car lasting 30 years is a way off though without spending a lot of money on preventative maintenance to ensure the car is still remotely reliable. But still, I think a lot of 'decent' petrol cars buit in the last 20 years are capable of lasting 15 years with decent maintenance before they start to become too unreliable or expensive to maintain, or just too tired looking for most. I'd say that's twice as long as the lifespan of current battery tech for a car covering average yearly miles.

Selfishly, I want to see synthetic fuels become a genuine alternative. I'm a petrolhead, and I'd hate to think that someday I may be forced to abandon driving a car with an internal combustion engine. For most people though, a car is either a tool for getting them from A-B and/or a fashion/status symbol - so for them EV/Hydrogen/Synth fuel, whatever is the most effective is great and the current EV push has allowed us to evaluate things properly, even if it may end up being thr wrong tech.

The thing with any lithium ion battery is it will degrade over time. It depends on how peeps charge them. The batteries are happiest between 40-80%. If EV owners are constantly running them down to 0% and then charging them back up to 100% that counts as one full cycle and will degrade the battery faster.

And Apple's one more thing…..

Ski goggles.

Kidding aside would definitely like try it.

$3500 🤪. So looking like for UK will be around £3,400 once VAT included.

Last edited:

So BTTF2 got one thing right then🤓. Still waiting for hoverboards, the Hydrator to hydrate a pizza in 10 seconds though…🤔

Anyone used a self service bag check in at an airport before? Flew from Luton to Berlin. Normal massive queues at Luton to check your bag in. About 3 desks for what looked like a million people all queuing and falling out. Flying back from Berlin and you have a self service check in. Go to a control panel (of which there are loads) scan your boarding pass, bag label prints off, you attach it to the bag handle, then take your bag to drop off point, put it on the belt, it weighs your bag, scans your label and off it goes. Took about 5 minutes. Has to be the way forward

Anyone used a self service bag check in at an airport before?

Quite a few times, most recently at Gatwick about 9 days ago. Provided your have the brainpower to join the dots on the luggage label it's a no brainer that will work for 95% of people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oris-johnson-column-***anic-sub-b2363439.html

Guess who are calling Rush and Co heroes?

Latest posts