• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

The world number 1 Swiatek has been the most consistent force this year. Favourite to win this US Open to go with her French open ***le.

But a few have just as you said been very successful for short period then fallen off a bit - Osaka being the prime one.

But yes, tennis is built on rivalries and women's tennis certainly needs one going forward.

Sad truth is that their careers will be relatively shorter compared to men's especially if they want a family later. Very few (apart from Clijsters) have returned to the very top once they have had children.

Without being crude I'd really like to see a study into top tennis women's menstrual cycle's and their performance. We know it has impact in all sports in relation to training and indivdual events but in a sport where you need to be at the top for 2 weeks solid and its individual as opposed to team I wonder how much impact it has. We see it constantly in elite womens sport where top favorites just don't perform at major events when in good form that season.

Radacanu has been too inconsistent for it to be her problem just wondering how much it has an effect on the sport overall. Radacanu just went on a extreme hot streak last year and this year is just struggling under the now imense pressure to perform she'll hopefully get over it.

Without being crude I'd really like to see a study into top tennis women's menstrual cycle's and their performance. We know it has impact in all sports in relation to training and indivdual events but in a sport where you need to be at the top for 2 weeks solid and its individual as opposed to team I wonder how much impact it has. We see it constantly in elite womens sport where top favorites just don't perform at major events when in good form that season.

Radacanu has been too inconsistent for it to be her problem just wondering how much it has an effect on the sport overall. Radacanu just went on a extreme hot streak last year and this year is just struggling under the now imense pressure to perform she'll hopefully get over it.
Controversial but I see what you're getting at. IIRC this has come up in Women's athletics. But Shouldn't be used as a reason for paying them less. Just don't want to go there again.

Emma's run last year to win really was a fairy tale in NYC 10 matches to win maiden grand slam unseeded and without dropping a set. Also without meeting a really great player on the way.

But fairy tales don't tend to repeat. I get the whole Eddie bashing her for taking her eye of the ball. This year can be forgiven seeing as it's second season syndrome- apart from injuries and her form others on tour are figuring her game out.

McEnroe also "having a pop" at her. Perhaps both judging her relative to men? Rather than women on tour?

But the expectation will ramp up from here and if she's going to justify her massive endorsements she'll have to knuckle down. Barring overcoming the ****ly injuries, and that means getting fitter and playing more on your and in turn the consistency should follow. I am hoping so anyway.

You only have to look at Laura Robson and Annabelle Croft to see how British ladies tennis careers can just end so quickly due to the emotional and physical demands of the sport.

Controversial but I see what you're getting at. IIRC this has come up in Women's athletics. But Shouldn't be used as a reason for paying them less. Just don't want to go there again.
Yeah we shouldn't them less I'd just like to understand the impact its having and if it can be mitigated.

"I've got a metal hip," said Murray. "It's not easy playing with that. It's really difficult. I'm surprised I'm still able to compete with guys that are right up at the top of the game.

"Matches like this I'm really proud that I have worked myself into a position where I'm able to do that. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get over the line today. But I get reminded like this is the first time you've made the third round here since 2016. It's been six years. It's been a difficult six years for me. It's been really hard."
I'm all for Murray still playing if he still enjoys it and then retires on his terms. But reading quotes like this makes me think he still kind of deluding himself that he can still win a grand slam and blaming the metal hip.

Well, of course he's not gonna to be back to
To his pre-hip op level. It is going to affect important parts of his game - particularly his serve, which let him down in the first 2 sets here and gave him too much to do in the end.

Reality is he's lucky to be back on court and playing pain free. Wish he'd just enjoy what he time he has left.

Surprised Rafa went out yesterday, but great performance from Tiafoe. Went to sleep after Rafa broke early in the fourth thinking I'd wake up to see him win in 5 sets. But Somehow Tiafoe won 5 straight games to win. Now Cilic and Medvedev out, we'll have a brand new winner on the men's side. Hoping Alcaraz. But his next match v Sinner should be a cracker. All British players all out now Norrie got beaten.

Alcaraz v Rudd in the final going for their first slam and also world number 1 for added incentive. Alcaraz must be running on fumes after 3 five setters in a row.

Still, would have to match what Edberg did 20 years ago and would be youngest men's world number 1. It would be extraordinary if he does. Fairy tale number 2 in NYC in two years in a row.

Fancy Swiatek on the women's side.

watched Alvarez vs tiafoe last night. What a great match. So much skill and athleticism can't wait for the final.

Was too late for me. Watched Rudd v Khachanov though. Not as epic, but Rudd was pretty damn good. Would love Alcaraz to do it but how much he'll have left in the tank not sure.

Vamos Carlos Alcaraz. US Open Champion and new world number 1 at 19 years old. Phenomenal.

Excited Bad Ass GIF by Tennis TV

😢

What a career and player. I am not surprised but thought he'd give it one more year. But apparently he was still suffering from knee pain in practice so definitely the right call.

When he was on song there was no other player like him.

One King leaves just as another enters.

Thanks for the memories Roger. Look forward to seeing his final event next week at the Laver Cup.

Last edited:

😢

What a career and player. I am not surprised but thought he'd give it one more year. But apparently he was still suffering from knee pain in practice so definitely the right call.

When he was on song there was no other player like him.

One King leaves just as another enters.

Thanks for the memories Roger. Look forward to seeing his final event next week at the Laver Cup.
Roger Federer is a class act all the way. He's been my favorite tennis player since Pete Sampras retired.

I don't think Sampras could have imagined that 3 GOATs would pass his total of 14 slams when he won his last one 20 years ago, including one who'd match his total at one alone; the French open, where he could not win one. 😝

The thing I love most about Federer is his natural ability. He was like an artist and didn't have to bulk up physically in order to win battles of attrition. His single handed backhand was a joy to behold. He was also a class act when being interviewed - you can tell he is a very intelligent bloke who always spoke well.

The thing I love most about Federer is his natural ability. He was like an artist and didn't have to bulk up physically in order to win battles of attrition. His single handed backhand was a joy to behold. He was also a class act when being interviewed - you can tell he is a very intelligent bloke who always spoke well.
Black Power Yes GIF by BrownSugarApp

That was an excellent post.

Latest posts