• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

There's a pattern of Ireland looking far better at all other times in a 4 year cycle than in the World Cup. Why is this? My theory is that the IRFU player management programme keep players in camp outside of World Cups for longer periods than other sides and we reap the benefit of this. In the months before a World Cup, every team enjoys this luxury and the playing field is levelled. Ireland's advantage which they hold at all other times is wiped out.

We have a mental block when it comea to these too. Is it we aren't adapting to touring commands or the settlement that is required. It's not a coaching thing as so many have tried. I'm sure it's not logistical as they would get the best treatment. It's just hard to point

Mental stat!
In 1 way yes. In another not really as his game is based on the risk play. And I don't mean that in a bad way. He is an adventurous player like a Zebo style. They try superb skillful passes and 1 in 20 or so may get picked

There's a pattern of Ireland looking far better at all other times in a 4 year cycle than in the World Cup. Why is this? My theory is that the IRFU player management programme keep players in camp outside of World Cups for longer periods than other sides and we reap the benefit of this. In the months before a World Cup, every team enjoys this luxury and the playing field is levelled. Ireland's advantage
Not sure I agree with this. The last three world cups (including this) we've mixed the good and the bad. Consistency and backing our good games up has been the issue.

Honestly I might take a semi-final exit right now, it'd get the nations mental block out of the way and set us up for a proper crack in France, which will be much more familiar.

I think its different things each time, I'll wait until our tournament is over to make proper judgment though. I hope I'm wrong but the judgment will come after the QFs...

Not sure I agree with this. The last three world cups (including this) we've mixed the good and the bad. Consistency and backing our good games up has been the issue.

Honestly I might take a semi-final exit right now, it'd get the nations mental block out of the way and set us up for a proper crack in France, which will be much more familiar.
Butblast 3 World Cups were failures in comparison to targets set.

Hopefully the result today will check some of the Hubris Irish media been pumping out

Japan beat Ireland at their own game When you go 60 mins without scoring a single point you deserve to lose comprehensively Ireland will be grateful for the Bonus Point

1st Tie breaker btw 2 teams on same number of points is Head to Head Record, so 15 pts will be enough to get a QF berth

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

Good Luck after that :eek::eek:

Butblast 3 World Cups were failures in comparison to targets set.
True put for different reasons. 2007 was just a disaster on every level. 2011 we were good but Wales were just better on the day (and Gatland has twice the rugby brain of Kidney). Injuries sounds like a weak excuse but is a fair explanation for 2015, no amount of depth is going to make up for losing your two best players, your captain and legend and two other important starters in the space of more or less a week, that would have destroyed most teams in history.

Weakest part of Irish team (backrow) has lost their most dynamic player in that position
Thanks for this clarification in a post that otherwise brought info that's already been discussed to exhaustion already. I had thought Conan was our most dynamic Tighthead but sure look...

PS: Your complex is showing.

I'd hesitate to say it's a mental block, but it's certainly extra, unneeded pressure. Players will be aware of it even subconsciously and it will have an affect.

Problem is that with this loss Ireland can't relax or risk dropping points. If they had won the QFs was an almost certainty. Now they have to take it one game at a time. SF seems a long way off.

Problem is that with this loss Ireland can't relax or risk dropping points. If they had won the QFs was an almost certainty. Now they have to take it one game at a time. SF seems a long way off.

Is it not still an 'almost certainty' we get a qf really? 9 points v Samoa and Russia guarantees a QF. Russia is a cert and Samoa are a 29 man squad who don't look massively threatening and will have less rest.

The only difference is it's now looking like NZ rather than SA, which does make the semis look a lot further away.

A bit like SA four years ago the result on its own changes little enough in respect of the remainder of the tournament, everything surrounding it is a massive burden for the team though.

Is it not still an 'almost certainty' we get a qf really? 9 points v Samoa and Russia guarantees a QF. Russia is a cert and Samoa are a 29 man squad who don't look massively threatening and will have less rest.

The only difference is it's now looking like NZ rather than SA, which does make the semis look a lot further away.

A bit like SA four years ago the result on its own changes little enough in respect of the remainder of the tournament, everything surrounding it is a massive burden for the team though.

I meant that Ireland can't take anything for granted, where as if they had won, they could have rotated more and gone into games with less pressure. I'm almost certain they will qualify, but it will create tension in the camp.

I meant that Ireland can't take anything for granted, where as if they had won, they could have rotated more and gone into games with less pressure. I'm almost certain they will qualify, but it will create tension in the camp.
I get ya! Sure, its worth no one's time analysing us now, we're a spent force. My only hope is that considering Irish rugby is totally void of all logic our first ever World Cup knockout win would come against NZ having lost to Japan... It's scant at best!

I get ya! Sure, its worth no one's time analysing us now, we're a spent force. My only hope is that considering Irish rugby is totally void of all logic our first ever World Cup knockout win would come against NZ having lost to Japan... It's scant at best!
Stranger tings and all that... ;)

Last edited:
True put for different reasons. 2007 was just a disaster on every level. 2011 we were good but Wales were just better on the day (and Gatland has twice the rugby brain of Kidney). Injuries sounds like a weak excuse but is a fair explanation for 2015, no amount of depth is going to make up for losing your two best players, your captain and legend and two other important starters in the space of more or less a week, that would have destroyed most teams in history.
But history will just remember them as failures and not the excuses

There's a pattern of Ireland looking far better at all other times in a 4 year cycle than in the World Cup. Why is this? My theory is that the IRFU player management programme keep players in camp outside of World Cups for longer periods than other sides and we reap the benefit of this. In the months before a World Cup, every team enjoys this luxury and the playing field is levelled. Ireland's advantage which they hold at all other times is wiped out.
Back to this - Do the IRFU actually give a **** about world cups? They routinely renew coaching contracts before the world cup and presumably have some clause in a coaches contract that lets them terminate it if we finish in the bottom half of the 6 nations because that's what got the last two coaches out rather than our worst ever world cup and three years of not getting anything out of club players who were winning trophies year after year.

I genuinely don't think the IRFU care about the competition much at all, their actions and past results certainly suggest they don't.

Latest posts