• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland World Cup 2019 Thread aka "Quarter Final 4"

So against Scotland, we're probably looking at something like this:

1. Healy
2. Best (I think we should be looking to split the minutes pretty much evenly between the three hookers but Best will almost definitely start this game, cant see him having the legs to start three consecutive knockouts though but that's another discussion)
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony (I'd have Conan instead of him)
7. Van Der Flier
8. Stander
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Stockdale
12. Aki
13. Ringrose (again we avoid having to actually pick between the centres because injuries)
14. Earls/Larmour/Conway (Earls hasn't played much rugby, I'd happily see us start either Conway or Larmour instead)
15. Kearney
16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Porter (could be Ryan but Porter is playing very well)
19. Beirne (hopefully)
20. Conan (see above)
21. McGrath
22. Carty (no need to rush Joey back, let him get ready for the knockouts against Russia/Samoa)
23. Larmour (unless he starts, then Conway or Farrell)

Strong team overall, should have more than enough to get the win.
Think Earls will start for reason you have given mixed with we need him firing. He's miles ahead of other 2 when all fit. On the rest it probably correct. Conan may deserve start but will be great impact. Worry is it is a small backrow without him. Cant see Beirne and Conan on bench together too.

Think Earls will start for reason you have given mixed with we need him firing. He's miles ahead of other 2 when all fit. On the rest it probably correct. Conan may deserve start but will be great impact. Worry is it is a small backrow without him. Cant see Beirne and Conan on bench together too.
He's absolutely the best option but he isn't even training at the moment, and for all Scotland's flaws this isn't the game to have wingers who aren't 100% with the danger of their back three. The experience would do either Conway or Larmour a lot of good and Conway in particular is coming off some very good form to be fair.

Think Conan did well in an unspectacular way during the warmups, cant see Joe dropping one of the preferred three for this game though. Against SA in particular that could change because the extra physicality will be a big help. Would prefer a backrow with two carriers though, CJ is wasted in his current role.

Think Beirne is a better bench option than Kleyn, more versatile and would bring more of an impact.

He's absolutely the best option but he isn't even training at the moment, and for all Scotland's flaws this isn't the game to have wingers who aren't 100% with the danger of their back three. The experience would do either Conway or Larmour a lot of good and Conway in particular is coming off some very good form to be fair.

Think Conan did well in an unspectacular way during the warmups, cant see Joe dropping one of the preferred three for this game though. Against SA in particular that could change because the extra physicality will be a big help. Would prefer a backrow with two carriers though, CJ is wasted in his current role.

Think Beirne is a better bench option than Kleyn, more versatile and would bring more of an impact.
Earls is training. I can assure you of that. And I think he will be playing as he is not a guy that needs games to find form he just hits peak fast.

Beirne is a more versatile and explosive option but just feel Schmidt will keep a more rigid option. Now I may be wrong but think Kleyn will be the bench option or else a rejigged set up.

Carbery I think will be benching now also in light of Henshaw absence as he can offer an option at Centre as well as 10

This Kearney injury is clearly the result of targeting to the exact same extent as Hogg's injury against us. Disgusting.

For the Scotland game aye, one more big injury and I'll start to worry but... We're playing Scotland like!
The thing is though as pointed out. Feek made an interesting point. We come 1st or 2nd and we will still be in a battle in the QF as it is SA or NZ.

Is Irelands real target the QF and well the pool is going to be 75-80% and we can afford a shock while rotating.

Not saying that is the mentality but realistically 1st or 2nd is not going to matter in terms of QF difficulty seems to be the message. And I believe this is possibly part of the reason Henshaw is still being kept.

Hopefully Kearney makes it back for the big games against Japan and Samoa. Scotland should be a routine win.

I think that's a very complacent attitude. I get that you say hope, but Scotland are no walk overs and Ireland didn't inspire huge confidence this summer. I reckon Scotland will have targeted this game as the most important outside final as it sets the tone of their world cup.

I think that's a very complacent attitude. I get that you say hope, but Scotland are no walk overs and Ireland didn't inspire huge confidence this summer. I reckon Scotland will have targeted this game as the most important outside final as it sets the tone of their world cup.
1. He's joking
2. Scotland have beaten us four times this millennium, so no matter how much they target this game they do have to do something reasonably out of the ordinary. Or more likely catch us on a particularly bad day.
3. Ireland had a pretty decent summer, one bad match but went 3/4, played players into match fitness and avoided long term injuries... and those matches don't matter in the slightest anyway.

1. He's joking
2. Scotland have beaten us four times this millennium, so no matter how much they target this game they do have to do something reasonably out of the ordinary. Or more likely catch us on a particularly bad day.
3. Ireland had a pretty decent summer, one bad match but went 3/4, played players into match fitness and avoided long term injuries... and those matches don't matter in the slightest anyway.

1. Ok maybe I missed that.
2. Scotland's biggest problem has been consistency, however they are no longer the walk overs they were especially in comparison to the first decade of this millennium.
3. They didn't have a bad summer, but I wasn't exactly inspired by their performances. Ireland have a great squad, but it doesn't feel like they are all in tune. Few positions causing concern and I reckon Schmidt may have left it a bit late to make the big calls.

1. Ok maybe I missed that.
2. Scotland's biggest problem has been consistency, however they are no longer the walk overs they were especially in comparison to the first decade of this millennium.
3. They didn't have a bad summer, but I wasn't exactly inspired by their performances. Ireland have a great squad, but it doesn't feel like they are all in tune. Few positions causing concern and I reckon Schmidt may have left it a bit late to make the big calls.
Scotland are better but like France or Argentina they need to be given a foothold in the game for a chance to win it, they're not going to bully or impose themselves on any top 5 team.

And yeah, I think you're looking too much into meaningless games, everyone in the squad got minutes and had at least one good performance and a win. It's enough when the team know they can beat anyone and have had a strong world cup cycle.

And yeah, I think you're looking too much into meaningless games, everyone in the squad got minutes and had at least one good performance and a win. It's enough when the team know they can beat anyone and have had a strong world cup cycle.

Possibly, but if you combine it with the 6Ns it definitely hasn't been a great year. I just feel there are some big question marks over the squad that haven't been answered and if anything the last warm up game and going no.1 has been a bit misleading.

Apparently Addison en route to Japan - Henshaw worse than they're letting on or just a precaution cause that's three backs with ****les?

Apparently Addison en route to Japan - Henshaw worse than they're letting on or just a precaution cause that's three backs with ****les?
Either would make sense. 5 day turnaround after Scotland with 6 fit outside backs currently, no idea what the rules on extra bodies training are though. It'd be horrible to get him out to train on his lonesome.

Either would make sense. 5 day turnaround after Scotland with 6 fit outside backs currently, no idea what the rules on extra bodies training are though. It'd be horrible to get him out to train on his lonesome.
Almost certain there are rules against players outside the squad training the rest.

Almost certain there are rules against players outside the squad training the rest.

There are hence Ciaran Ruddock being photographed with bars on!

Also what's the source on Addison? Haven't seen anything since the he was initially pulled from the Ulster match.

"From September 8, 2019 Teams are not permitted to play non-Tournament Matches but are allowed to conduct opposed training sessions. Teams are not permitted to include players from the Preliminary Training Squad or any other player that could potentially be selected for the Tournament Team in opposed training sessions with or against the Tournament Team."

So I reckon he can hit the gym with them. He could possibly even do individual skill work and unopposed system work (which I imagine is rare) but anything with a defence is outside of tournament rules? That also reads to me like you can bring in ineligible randos to run oppo of you wanted which is interesting.

Latest posts