• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

I feel for Fernandez that break did ruin her momentum.

Hell of a game.
Yeah but open bleeding just one of those things.

Thin Fernández had to go to well too many times in the match. I don't think she had a comfortable serve game all match.

Also, 3(f) of the rule book meant Umpire had to stop play because it was a blood injury. There was not much choice. Shame for Layla though at that point, but them are the rules.
Yep, it's a health hazard, there is no choice in the matter.
Equally, when it couldn't be staunched during "diagnosis" a medical time-out had to be called - no choice in that matter either. The time out lasts 3 minutes, even if treatment only takes 30 seconds. I don't think they're technically allowed to treat without calling a time-out either (except during change of ends etc).

Yeh I know you said it interrupted Fernandez's momentum at that crucial point, which is just very unfortunate. Just a clarification that there was nothing she could do, but suck it up because of the rules. As she was complaining to the referee.

A set and a break down. Can he turn it around? Been a tougher road to the final for him than Medvedev. And a lot of nerves given what is at stake for him against a younger, hungrier opponent.

Medvedev winning those crucial points in long 20 shot + rallies and serving very well.

Last edited:
Apparently Max Verstappen fans showed up to the final. Amazing that he was able to finish off the match without getting in a first serve I believe.

Apparently Max Verstappen fans showed up to the final. Amazing that he was able to finish off the match without getting in a first serve I believe.

Who? Medvedev?

Shame Novak didn't get the CYGS. His legs seemed to go from spending the extra hours on court and possibly nerves of what he could achieve. Plus, playing an opponent who was just playing and serving better.

He may have got something else that he always craved and took him time to earn: the love of the NY crowd.

Still, 3 slams in the year is phenomenal. And he has his best chance to go ahead of Roger and Rafa's 20 in Melbourne where is still the King and would be going after 10 ***les there in January. Wouldn't bet against it.

Djokovic choked a bit I think, going for two records simultaneously. Medvedev was brilliant though, well deserved.

And people calling Djokovic the goat are getting ahead of themselves.

I see tennis differently, I've always said that for me it's not just the number of Grand Slam ***les that matters. One at 21, the other at 22 or 23. I don't just see the Grand Slam winner, I look at the aesthetics, what you give off on the court. I often hear the race to the highest, it is a pointless subject. For me, Roger Federer is irreplaceable, he's the greatest player of all time when I see the aesthetics, the grace he has on the court.

Prime Federer > prime Djokovic as well imo.

Who? Medvedev?

Shame Novak didn't get the CYGS. His legs seemed to go from spending the extra hours on court and possibly nerves of what he could achieve. Plus, playing an opponent who was just playing and serving better.

He may have got something else that he always craved and took him time to earn: the love of the NY crowd.

Still, 3 slams in the year is phenomenal. And he has his best chance to go ahead of Roger and Rafa's 20 in Melbourne where is still the King and would be going after 10 ***les there in January. Wouldn't bet against it.
Yeah Mdvdev (that's the best I'm gonna do) was really struggling with the first serve towards the end.

Djokovic choked a bit I think, going for two records simultaneously. Medvedev was brilliant though, well deserved.

And people calling Djokovic the goat are getting ahead of themselves.

Prime Federer > prime Djokovic as well imo.
Defo prefer to watch Federer play than Djokovic. I think though when both were at their absolute peak Federer would have won, but I am bias as a bigger Fed fan. Just much preferred to watch him play and would hum In delight with some of his winners. He could turn it into an art form when he was on.

Having said that though I think there are things Novak can do better, the high back hand return especially on clay v Rafa, which just isn't in Federer's Arsenal - chip return only because of the single hand v double handed backhand. Also post 2007 I would say Fed's return game started deteriorating. He struggled post mono virus and you could see that in his return stats and break points won etc. Don't think he was quite the same after getting mono. You only had to see the effect on Soderling and Ancic when they got Mono and both had to retire from the game.

Yeah Mdvdev (that's the best I'm gonna do) was really struggling with the first serve towards the end.
Yeh nerves no doubt played a part nearing the end and trying to close it out. He was pretty phenomenal on first serve in the first set. Think he won 100% when he got his first serve in.

Watched a couple a good tennis documentaries: one on Netflix Untold Breaking point, about Mardy Fish's struggles with Anxiety and
Andy Murray: Resurfacing about his hip surgeries. Showing his surgery where he has a metal hip implanted. Pretty sobering when the surgeon tells him if he plays another 7 years tennis he has a 15% of destroying his hip. The amount of pain he's willing to put his body through to try and return to the top.

Last edited:
Not that many players keep going with their age-grade coaches into adulthood, especially when they reach the top 100 or so.

It's all a bit quick, but she's probably right in that she'd need a more experienced coach, used to managing the work loads etc etc

Not eve an age grade coach at first glance just someone hired for the summer. So yeah nothing of real note.

Not that many players keep going with their age-grade coaches into adulthood, especially when they reach the top 100 or so.

It's all a bit quick, but she's probably right in that she'd need a more experienced coach, used to managing the work loads etc etc
You look at Murray and how he changed coaches: Petchey to Brad Gilbert, Miles MacLagan, Leon Smith, Mauresmo and now an ex British Pro in Jamie Delgado.

Emma could do worse than starting off with someone like Petchey who has coached other WTA players To start with.

Latest posts