• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Tennis Thread.

At least Europe won the equivalent of then Ryder Cup v the RoTW.

Good old British media making it into to more than what it is. Unfortunately she is going to have to learn to deal with that increased focus because our media certainly isn't going to back off and give her space.
Doesn't seem to be making it out to be much by my reading

Next year's Wimbledon will have them in hysteria mode.

Why wouldn't it?
I get why, but maybe consider that headline news is not as important as focusing on a young girl and putting pressure on her. Sure report it, but you don't have to stick it on your front page. For me the media needs to have a bit more consideration about the effect their reporting has, especially in cases like this.

I mean it comes part and parcel with being a grand slam champion though.

There's a reason why people say it can become harder once you win something.

I mean it comes part and parcel with being a grand slam champion though.

There's a reason why people say it can become harder once you win something.
Yeah and as I said I understand that. I just feel that especially with the like of Osaka and Biles taking time out for mental health that media might grow up a bit and consider their behaviour and whether or not their reporting contributes to players mental health. As I said they have to report it, but maybe they can adjust how much attention they put on it. Maybe it's me just being to idealistic.

I think it's news well sport news so it should be in the sport section rather than headlines. Even then I don't know how high up it should be, top players loose in these tournaments all the time.

I think it's news well sport news so it should be in the sport section rather than headlines. Even then I don't know how high up it should be, top players loose in these tournaments all the time.

Yeh but really how many of those top players have been British.
Murray suffered similar following from the media.

Don't get me wrong I mentioned the pressures media put on young athletes, and was rightly told it's sort of part and parcel with these things. So far I haven't seen many opinion pieces on it prob will change over the course of the day

Last edited:
Yeh but really how many of those top players have been British.
Murray suffered similar following from the media.
It's hard to judge fully we had more of a roller coaster with Murray with near misses and the Wimbledon Final loss right before his US Open win. I can't remember if the BBC had it top news on his first tour lost after that.

It relegated to where it should be now though so no point moaning.

IW is a fairly big tournament outside of the Grand Slams. It's top news story in the tennis section of BBC sports section.

Wasn't surprised she lost as it was such a big win at the USO and there was bound to be a let down afterwards.

Latest posts