TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/11300999/Dan-Carter-to-become-rugby-unions-highest-paid-player-world-rugbys-richlist.html?frame=3142297

This list was on http://www.sport24.co.za/ Which listed them with the amount in Pounds and also in South African Rand:

1. Dan Carter - £1m (R17.7m)
The legendary All Blacks flyhalf will become the world's highest-paid player after agreeing to join Racing Métro following next year's World Cup.

2. Matt Giteau - £700 000 (R12.4m)
The Australian joined Toulon from the Brumbies in 2011.

3. Leigh Halfpenny - £600 000 (R10.6m)
He became the highest earning Welsh player of all-time after joining Toulon from Cardiff Blues in January 2014.

4. Sam Burgess - £500 000 (R8.9m)
The former Rugby League star joined English club Bath from the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2014.

5. Jonny Sexton - £494 000 (R8.8m)
The Racing Metro flyhalf is the highest-earning Irishman but will return to former club Leinster this year.

6. Bryan Habana - £474 000 (R8.4m)
Habana joined French giants Toulon from the Stormers in 2013.

7. Morgan Parra - £436 000 (R7.7m)
The Clermont-Auvergne scrumhalf is the highest-paid French player in the world.

8. Thierry Dusautoir - £408 000 (R7.2m)
The France and Toulouse flank has been linked with a move to Leicester, where he will be expected to take a pay cut.

9. Bakkies Botha, Toulon - £389 000 (R6.8m)
Botha joined Toulon from the Bulls in 2011.

10. Jamie Roberts - £380 000 (R6.7m)
The Welshman currently plies his trade in France at Racing Metro, but is rumoured to be heading back Cardiff Blues in his home country.

Interesting that so many of them are at Toulon ;)

Pretty sad that a guy like Burgess can make the list.

What's interesting to me is that it's all players that plays in the NH. It paints a picture of the difference of the SH players. If they play in SH, they play for passion and pride of their nation, if they play NH, it's for the money.

Money has nothing to do with it according to certain French members. Also considering Hayman used to be on this list (I assume he is no longer on there because he has announced his retirement), it's pretty laughable that Toulon are claiming Carter is overpaid.

Isn't John Afoa supposed to be on quite a large salary at Gloucester?

He was on around 400,000 euro at Ulster send then moved to Gloucester for more. Reckon he might be no.11

Money has nothing to do with it according to certain French members. Also considering Hayman used to be on this list (I assume he is no longer on there because he has announced his retirement), it's pretty laughable that Toulon are claiming Carter is overpaid.

It's laughable that anyone can say it's NOT about the money. Why else would so many SH players, especially South Africans go to the NH for much bigger salaries than in the SH, with the disadvantage of being overlooked for national selection....

He was on around 400,000 euro at Ulster send then moved to Gloucester for more. Reckon he might be no.11

Heard he was on 500,000K as there marquee player.

Burgess getting ~10k a week doesn't click in my head. Especially when that's more than Sexton (albeit by ~100 more per week). Carter getting ~20k a week sounds right; however he has slipped down in the rankings of AB due to being out.

Just thought I'd say; Wikipedia (a far more reliable source :p :p :p ) says Carter is getting 1.5M. That's be 30k a week.

I think it was reported he's on £300k at Gloucester (or was that Hibbard?)

Little surprised that Roberts is on there! Though I guess when he moved he had very high stock. Bet RM aren't happy with their investment :lol:

How about pride playing for your club? especially when that club has more to offer than the national team.

And the springboks playing at Toulon are not being overlooked. Botha Habana Smith have all been capped last season. In fact Botha's earned his recall thanks to his form at Toulon.

Some federations choose to overlook players because they're playing abroad which is daft. But this isn't the club's problem or fault.

Burgess getting ~10k a week doesn't click in my head. Especially when that's more than Sexton (albeit by ~100 more per week). Carter getting ~20k a week sounds right; however he has slipped down in the rankings of AB due to being out.

Just thought I'd say; Wikipedia (a far more reliable source :p :p :p ) says Carter is getting 1.5M. That's be 30k a week.

At least, he's a NRL superstar. I can't believe about Halfpenny at the Top 3

Is that 1.5 million EURO (which equates to about 1.2 million Sterliing)?

Is that Sexton's RM salary or the one he'll get with the IRFU?

Doubt it as they refer to Racing!

However, it may be that it is next year's as they include Carter at Number 1 who WILL get whatever amount WHEN he takes up his contract next season.

It appears to me that Sexton's and the others' salaries are for THIS season............!!

Anyone know how much was the salary of Sam Burguess in the NRL?

At least, he's a NRL superstar. I can't believe about Halfpenny at the Top 3

Yea man his status in the rabitohs was unmatched, a bit surprised to see him near the top but if he can pick up a union brain to go with his work ethic and mongrel he'll be worth every cent. Burgess is the definition of a Alpha male.

What's interesting to me is that it's all players that plays in the NH. It paints a picture of the difference of the SH players. If they play in SH, they play for passion and pride of their nation, if they play NH, it's for the money.

Here we go again this time it's the Saffa theory, what amazes me is that you guys knows absolutely everything about the lives of the highest paid players who are obviously all in the TOP 14. these guys bring their wives /partners and children to a country where they can not speak the language know little about the culture and come purely for the money.
You have obviously never listened to interviews by these players, (we are not even going to mention why the foreign coaches are here)!!!!! where they give the real reasons why they are here, one of them being the TOP 14 is the toughest Championship in the world and they want to challenge themselves against the best, this is quoted by them not me!!!!!!!! No one never said the money was not important, but it is by far out weighed by other critera.the way of life, the medical system, training facilities, schooling for their kids the beaches and sea if you happen to play for a team in the south, the magic of Paris when there are no terrorists about!!!!, the diferent sports available for all the family, sking some of the best in the world,the water sports that are available, some of the best cuisine and wine in the world, the country side which is equal to anywhere else around the globe, hunting of all different types, not a load of people on horseback running after a rag with fox pooh on it!!!!!! If you are going to critise the French system do it intelligently and state with info why they are just coming for the money, state interviews where this has been said, not just, BURRR they are here for the money !!!!!!!! Ask yourself this why are people always moving to France especially the Brits and have been doing this for years, the answer you will probably here is............ THE LIFE STYLE!!!!!! I own a Gite and have had many South Africans coming here for all the above reasons!!!!! I know i will probably be dealt with harshly but i have broad shoulders, i also live in France, and have done for a long time, and know absolotely why these players do what they do, i speak to pro rugby players every week 2/3 times a week, interview said players, organise press interviews for these players, especially in Montpellier, so i do know just a little about this subject, but i do bow to your superior knowledge Sir Heinken, you have obviously lived in France been attached to a Pro French rugby club as if not you would never have made such a ridiculous statement.
JE SUIS CHARLIE.......

It's widely acknowledged that the length and nature of the season makes it the most demanding in the world...

Can you explain please ( this is not me trying to troll or be negative towards the top 14) I know it's a ridiculously long season an the players work for their $$$ but what do you mean by the nature of the season?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts