• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The top 10 Highest paid Rugby Players in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain please ( this is not me trying to troll or be negative towards the top 14) I know it's a ridiculously long season an the players work for their $$$ but what do you mean by the nature of the season?

The fact its home & away, zero rest periods. Massively physical, has relegation, the partisan crowds.

Just to be clear toughest doesn't mean best, best doesn't mean toughest.

The fact its home & away, zero rest periods. Massively physical, has relegation, the partisan crowds.

Just to be clear toughest doesn't mean best, best doesn't mean toughest.

How many rounds in a regular season? Are you saying teams don't get byes?

Edit: to be fair most home teams have partisan crowds, rugby is a massively physical game ( especially involving SA teams) and many comps play games home and away (there's even a comp where players cross multiple time zones played in different countries, hell even different continents, contested by teams from nations usually ranked 1,2 and 3)

Last edited:
26 TOP 14 games in a season + playoffs 1/4, semi and finale = + 3 then you have Euro games 6 pool games +1/4 semi and final, then add 6 Nations,+ 5 games and Autumn Internationals +3 THATS A TOTAL of 46 games in total, obviously no player will play all those games but some will play maybe 10 less and the top players wil probabaly all be around 25 to 35 games per season which is enormous in todays pro sport far too many, no wonder there are so many injuries serious and less serious.

Last edited:
Oh, god, here we go.... the crying Kiwis can't just have a great competition it has to be THE best and the toughest :)

How many rounds in a regular season? Are you saying teams don't get byes?

No byes, factor in the European competitions and they play every week from August to June.

Edit: to be fair most home teams have partisan crowds,

Not like the french crowds, fireworks, bands - it's physically intimidating, can and has spilled over into violence.

rugby is a massively physical game ( especially involving SA teams) and many comps play games home and away

Not to the same degree as the top 14, which is an attritional competition where players play injured .

(there's even a comp where players cross multiple time zones played in different countries, hell even different continents, contested by teams from nations usually ranked 1,2 and 3)

YAWN!!! travelling is tough granted, but they get two weeks to do that travelling and rest weekends.

Additionally about a third of the way into the season half the games in the Super15 are dead rubbers.. the top 14 has relegation, people are literally fighting for their jobs until the last day of the season and often see's players playing injured etc...

anyway, i'm done on it, your entitled to your opinion...

Yea man his status in the rabitohs was unmatched, a bit surprised to see him near the top but if he can pick up a union brain to go with his work ethic and mongrel he'll be worth every cent. Burgess is the definition of a Alpha male.

I thought Alpha males were supposed to be the loud, obnoxious types that **** everyone off yet somehow still have girls fawning over them. I thought Burgess was supposed to be a relatively modest and unassuming individual (outside his physical presence)

Also Gaston, you will break your 1 key if you keep on with all the !'s

I thought Alpha males were supposed to be the loud, obnoxious types that **** everyone off yet somehow still have girls fawning over them. I thought Burgess was supposed to be a relatively modest and unassuming individual (outside his physical presence)

Also Gaston, you will break your 1 key if you keep on with all the !'s

not at all i have the keyboard and then another keyboard with just wait for it you guessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just on Gaston's point, I find it very hard to believe that's why every player plays in France. I'm sure it's the reason for a few, Giteau, Wilkinson and the Armitage brothers come to mind, but there are players who are playing in France for no other reason than the money and just because they don't say that in interviews mean incredibly little. Not everyone is suited to the French lifestyle, Sexton and ROG hate it from what I've heard. Players move to France for a whole number of reasons and I'd be shocked if money was not the most common.

Just on Gaston's point, I find it very hard to believe that's why every player plays in France. I'm sure it's the reason for a few, Giteau, Wilkinson and the Armitage brothers come to mind, but there are players who are playing in France for no other reason than the money and just because they don't say that in interviews mean incredibly little. Not everyone is suited to the French lifestyle, Sexton and ROG hate it from what I've heard. Players move to France for a whole number of reasons and I'd be shocked if money was not the most common.

Noh, noh, noh, sacre bleu!!! Ze reason that all players come to France iz because it iz sooo much betteeer than every place zat iz not FRANCE! Only ze South of France can provide ze nice weather. Presumably South Africa and Australia av no nice weatheer or beaches or ze scrumpets. Rugby players care not for the millions of euro they are offeered. Zey like ze cheese and ze wine. I av watched many a interview with professsional rugby players, and zey NEVER say 'We are only err for ze moneh!'. Ow do you explain zat?! Sure players like Carl Hayman return to New Zealand afteer zey are done making money in France, but zat iz only because E needz to be reminded zat de rest of za world iz not az good az France!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one ever said it was not about the money its one small reason!!!! there are many more!!!!, this just becomes very tiring it seems that every body around the world seems to know so much more about the situation than people like myself who is ACTUALLY INVOLVED from the inside of the TOP 14 and every season the same old same old keeps creeping into the French related threads. There are so many things so much more important in life than fu***** MONEY..................................... Do we knock Sexton ROG, no of course not, they do not want to live in France fair enough go home, and how do you know they are playing solely for money if they have never said so,seems incredible to me that you know so much when nothing according to you has been said or admitted!!!!

26 TOP 14 games in a season + playoffs 1/4, semi and finale = + 3 then you have Euro games 6 pool games +1/4 semi and final, then add 6 Nations,+ 5 games and Autumn Internationals +3 THATS A TOTAL of 46 games in total, obviously no player will play all those games but some will play maybe 10 less and the top players wil probabaly all be around 25 to 35 games per season which is enormous in todays pro sport far too many, no wonder there are so many injuries serious and less serious.

Holy shiit that's heaps of games same number as NRL. I wonder who would hold the record for most games in one season would have to be someone from up there. Do these guys get much of a pre season in before the competition starts? Just searched the top 14 too says it's been around for over 100 years is this true?

Gaston you should get royalties from the Ministry du Tourisme, they could get a brochure out of your post. Of course the foreigners are only here for the money. What else?

They have no life outside of rugby here. We don't really let them have one. They put their kids and wives thru hell jus for a big pay check. Their kids don't go to school, wife can't go out (with terrorists lurking in every supermaket how could they). In Toulouse all our foreigners must be tagged.

It's astonishing why so many Brits own a house over here. I too would love to own a holiday home in Syria.
Imagine surviving in Paris on +500 K euros a year, how tough the life of a true mercenary. And they have to lie thru their teeth in the media about how great the league is or else...they will be elligible to play for FFR.

I suppose they can't wait to go back to Ireland wrapped up in cotton wool by IRFU.

Last edited:
Gaston you should get royalties from the Ministry du Tourisme, they could get a brochure out of your post. Of course the foreigners are only here for the money. What else?

They have no life outside of rugby here. We don't really let them have one. They put their kids and wives thru hell jus for a big pay check. Their kids don't go to school, wife can go out (with terrorists lurking in every supermaket how could they). In Toulouse all our foreigners must be tagged.

It's astonishing why so many Brits own a house over here. I too would love to own a holiday home in Syria.
Imagine surviving in Paris on +500 K euros a year, how tough the life of a true mercenary. And they have to lie thru their teeth in the media about how great the league is or else...they will be elligible to play for FFR.

I suppose they can't wait to go back to Austerity Ireland wrapped up in cotton wool by IRFU.

Yes because of all the countries 'Austerity Ireland' is the one with so many players playing in France.:rolleyes:

Oh, god, here we go.... the crying Kiwis can't just have a great competition it has to be THE best and the toughest.

Crying kiwi bro not kiwi's, I don't see any other kiwi but me crying on this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure Gaston in to something when it comes to NZ players, i know personally how boring the place gets. A French experience would ALMOST be as good as the coin you would earn

So many French people live in London and Dublin, why is it that none of them are rugby players? Surely it can't be that only players from outside France would leave home, give up chances to play for their country to play for, in many cases, worse teams in a foreign land! Actually scratch that nowhere else eats snails and have as high a concentration of fat men uglier then sin wearing speedos. Soz

So many French people live in London and Dublin, why is it that none of them are rugby players? Surely it can't be that only players from outside France would leave home, give up chances to play for their country to play for, in many cases, worse teams in a foreign land! Actually scratch that nowhere else eats snails and have as high a concentration of fat men uglier then sin wearing speedos. Soz

SO IT DID NOT TAKE LONG FOR THE OBSENITIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is always the problem but at least now we can work out the formula of the concentration span of a cmac95 = not quite 2 pages of a French related thread, NOT A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming from the guy living in Paris married to a Dutch girl!!! :p

i've also got an awesome pair of speedos..... (you aren't allowed to wear anything else int he public swimming pool, hence everyone wears them - practical reason not posing).

SO IT DID NOT TAKE LONG FOR THE OBSENITIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is always the problem but at least now we can work out the formula of the concentration span of a cmac95 = not quite 2 pages of a French related thread, NOT A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It started at "Austerity Ireland" if you ask me which holds far more malice and ignorance than what I said but stick to your own script, I wouldn't want to lead you away from a habit you hold so dear.

Yes cmac with a light joke, which you clearly can't take lowered the tone of the conversation........
Austerity Ireland
Speaking of attention spans, it usually takes one imagined criticism of France for you boys to get the speedos in a twist and fly off the handle, with your...... exclamation points and stuff.
Anyway, I'm actually interested by the list and am not particularly suprised at the list bar one. I have absolutely no idea ho a guy like Burgess, who is an excellent athlete and a real pro, but a total unkonwn quantity at Union merited a salary putting him as the fourth highest paid player in rugby. I can't see him ever being worth that. Halfpenny is definately overpaid too in my opinion. For the most part you get what you paid for with the rest of them

Status
Not open for further replies.